Royal - best inside cabin location/deck?

metairiegal

Standard rule of thumb....don't book directly over, or under public areas. I'd book mid-ship but not the closest cabin to the stairwells, elevators or crew service areas (those vast blank spaces you see on the deck plans). Personally, I'd be looking at the Baja deck (11). You are 4 flights up to the Lido, and 4 flights down to the Promenade.

If you are more elevator dependent, then the deck doesn't matter as much (other than first rule of thumb!) but you might consider a room further aft (but not too far aft!) and use the rear elevator bank, as traditionally is not as busy as the center or forward elevators.

Like the other posts, a midship sideways cabin has been our choice.

I'd recommend to not have a quad cabin which has upper bunks protruding from the side walls. We made that mistake once on the Golden & had to the bed switched to twins to reduce the risk of bumping our heads. The Princess deck plans have an option to select how many are in a cabin & by having 4 we know which are quads to not book them.

Here's a link to photos of a sideways cabin (C406) posted by Dave (dmwnc1959):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45399989&posted=1#post45399989

We've booked this type of cabin twice on the Royal & Regal but both times accepted a reasonably priced upsell to a deluxe balcony cabin on our transatlantic cruises. :)

We have another midship sideways cabin booked on the Royal but it doesn't appear that we'll be able to upgrade to another balcony.

Great tips everybody. And, the pics are very much appreciated!

I didn't realize a sideways would be more spacious - but the cabin looks great. I'm going to look into which sideways are available for our cruise. And, we will definitely not book a quad!

Fantastic help - thank you! :)

Had an inside forward on the Baja Deck in December. It was the quietest cabin ever! Would book this same area again if on the Regal or the Royal. Wonderful cabin and we were surrounded in this area by many platinum and elite cruisers who preferred inside cabins in this area.

Had an inside forward on the Baja Deck in December. It was the quietest cabin ever! Would book this same area again if on the Regal or the Royal. Wonderful cabin and we were surrounded in this area by many platinum and elite cruisers who preferred inside cabins in this area.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

I had an inside sideways cabin last year and it was awesome, I really liked it. I was on Aloha deck, cabins above and below, quiet location. There is definitely more space. If you search threads, you will find pros and cons about these type cabins. Some didn't like the door opening right into the cabin area, sailing alone not an issue for me.

I'm sailing on the Royal TA this year and opted for a different cabin. I rarely use the buffet area, eat lunch and breakfast in the IC area so I chose a lower deck this time.

We are Platinum level and soon to be Elite. We choose our cabins based on where we are traveling to. We are early risers and spend very little time in our cabin and some times we just cannot justify the price difference between Balcony vs Inside. Our upcoming cruise we chose Midship interior right smack in the middle.

• 3 weeks later...

OP here. I am still considering which inside on Royal to book. I have heard a few negatives about the bed close to the wall of a sideways. I see that point. And, I am very sensitive to noise so I don't know how it would be sleeping so close to the wall.

Basically, we are looking for the lowest rate for a inside. Right now the lowest inside rate is $1599 for cabin M117, deck 15, forward, a regular inside.

I can't see paying more for just another inside whether regular or sideways. (Lowest sideways is $1689.) What do you think?

Any advice? Any comments on M117?

Like the other posts, a midship sideways cabin has been our choice.

I'd recommend to not have a quad cabin which has upper bunks protruding from the side walls. We made that mistake once on the Golden & had to the bed switched to twins to reduce the risk of bumping our heads. The Princess deck plans have an option to select how many are in a cabin & by having 4 we know which are quads to not book them.

Here's a link to photos of a sideways cabin (C406) posted by Dave (dmwnc1959):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45399989&posted=1#post45399989

We've booked this type of cabin twice on the Royal & Regal but both times accepted a reasonably priced upsell to a deluxe balcony cabin on our transatlantic cruises. :)

We have another midship sideways cabin booked on the Royal but it doesn't appear that we'll be able to upgrade to another balcony.

I too vote for the sideways cabin on Royal/Regal based on cruise Critics feedback. We have one booked on Aloha deck for our upcoming TA cruise. We made sure we didn't accidentally book a quad.

Also I normally like a cabin close to the elevator closest to the buffet. :)

We had a sideways on Aloha deck on the Regal . As I wrote in my review " Brilliantly laid out almost like a studio apartment , you enter into the "bedroom". Behind the TV, table wall is the dressing area and bathroom . The only issue is the door swings open towards the bed . If it swung the other way , you would have more privacy." For us it was worth the premium , about the same 5 - 7% that you face, over the cheapest inside cabin .

I wouldn't mind paying a little more if it was for a window, even obstructed (I know, Regal/Royal don't have windows - just sayin'). But, I am having a hard time justifying paying anything more for another inside.

What are the noise issues with sideways cabins?

And, I'm still wondering about the regular inside cabin M117 and that location?

Thanks in advance.