Staying on board Oasis or beach day in Nassau?

Hi everyone. My family will be on Oasis in June (2 adults, 2 teens), and we're trying to decide whether to get a hotel day pass for Nassau (about $250 total,) or stay onboard and enjoy the ship with less people. We have been on one other cruise, but this will be our first time on Oasis.

Along with Nassau, we are stopping at St. Maarten and St. Thomas. We have been to both ports before, and loved them. We have excursions booked for these stops. So, I'm really leaning towards staying on the ship in Nassau to enjoy another day on Oasis. What I'm wondering is, in your experience, is there a noticeable difference in crowds on board when you stop at Nassau? My kids want to ride the Flowrider, swim, and just hang out. This stop is on day 2 of the cruise. If the crowds aren't much thinner then maybe we will get off and explore a bit or do the day pass.

Thanks!

In January when we were on Allure, we elected to stay on the ship while in Nassau since we have been there several times. We will do that from now on. Very enjoyable day on ship since there is so much to do. Take advantage of the ship while most people are off . :)

We just came back from Harmony with the same stops. I read from a few on this board that walked to a public beach in Nassau - Junkanoo Beach so that 's what we did. I can tell you I would never recommend this beach nor would I recommend walking to it. You pass by very smelly dumpsters and sewers we actually had to hold our breath. Then when we finally got to the beach - and I use the term loosely, it was one of the ugliest beaches we've ever seen. Since we paid about $10 per chair we decided to just stay for a bit. The view was horrible and the water was cold.

We stayed for about 2 hours and took a cab back to the ship. Once back on the ship it looked like more than half the passengers didn't even get off.

I like the idea of staying aboard, we do this on lots of stops, love the ship without the crowds, the other factors for us is we have been to many of these ports multiple times and have the drink package, but always get off at the better ports such as St Marteen, St Thomas Cozumel etc etc

We did the hotel day pass in Nassau. I didn't care for the place and we've done this in a lot of the ports. We stay on the boat, but we've also been to Nassau quite a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Which hotel did you do for the day passes? We are considering Melia in May.

I've done two different ones through the resort for a day. I think the first one years ago was a Hilton, but it felt like the lobby of the tower of terror ride, lol. The second was the Breezes by the Sandals people. Maybe it was just an off day, but the pool was nasty. Stuff floating all in it and the food and drinks that were included weren't good. Just felt like a lot of money for that. I've just since decided since we get the drink packages on board anyway to stay on the boat from now on. But this is just my opinion, some people really like these places and like Nassau, it's just not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We thought the Melia was great, beautiful pools, gorgeous beach! Plus hex daiquiri shack is right across the street.

ETA, love your user name, OP!

I would stay on the ship. You may want to see if there are any private lessons for the FlowRider at that time - your kids could learn some fun tricks.

The only place I would pay to go to and spend a full day in Nassau would be Atlantis. We stayed there for a week several years ago... best waterpark for teens I've ever been to.

We took a beach day at the Sheraton in Nassau with the Allure in 2014. We enjoyed the beach and the pool, it was a very nice experience. We booked a cap a head of time separate from the cruise line to get us there and back. It worked well. However, if you think cruise drink prices are expensive get ready to shell out $8.00 for a local beer. Last year with Disney Dream we got off and walked around the shops right by the port and went right back to ship. This coming May the Nassau port will definitely be a ship day for us. The Oasis class ships have so much to see and do and Nassau just doesn't. As the ports go, we did the same itinerary and LOVED the beaches at St. Thomas and St. Maarten, Nassau really isn't necessary. In fact when's a good time to start asking RCI when/if the Oasis class ships will choose other ports instead of Nassau? I know it's not the rule but it usually is the exception when a Caribbean sailing oasis class ship does not stop first at Nassau! Maybe since the ships are registered in the Bahamas they are required to stop there once a week? Not sure but I'd much rather hit Puerto Rico or Grand Cayman and push the first port day to day 3 if necessary!

Thanks so much for your input! I was the last holdout, so the family is happy to hear that I've decided we will just stay on board. They have logged a lot of hours on different Flowriders and are excited to log some more! Hubby is excited to save $250. ;)

I would stay on the ship. You may want to see if there are any private lessons for the FlowRider at that time - your kids could learn some fun tricks.

The only place I would pay to go to and spend a full day in Nassau would be Atlantis. We stayed there for a week several years ago... best waterpark for teens I've ever been to.

I agree. Atlantis is great excursion, especially for teens. We've been there a couple of times on cruises and once for four nights.