Menu 'Hacks' - Does anyone else do this? What are your favorites?

rgmacm

Does anyone else create their own favorite meals (or snacks or drinks or....) by combining things available from the Buffet or various eateries around the ship? I have a few things that I regularly do, but I'd love to hear some other ideas!! :D

My favorites:

• Grilled Chicken Salad - grilled chicken from the Grill and salad from the salad bar in Horizon Court. Great Lunch!!!
  • A little bit of chocolate ice cream in the bottom of a coffee cup...let it melt just a little then add coffee for a mocha. Use vanilla ice cream and it's similar to a (french) vanilla creamer. This makes the coffee in the buffet a little more palatable if I want to drink a LOT of coffee (upcoming Alaska cruise) and don't want to use my entire Coffee card in 3 days.

So.....any other ideas? What do others do?

Edited by rgmacm

We have done a variety of things, combining items from the grill... For example, if they have taco's on the buffet... i have made a taco salad, with items from the taco bar and the salad bar. We have also made our own sandwiches, getting turkey when they have roasted turkey... get bread of our choice, plus salad items.

We took a cruise on NCL a few years back, had not been on NCL in 10 years. We did not like the MDR at all... buffet has mostly comfort foods on it but we did find a reasonable salad bar on board... so we made salads and sandwiches every day late afternoon and took back to our balcony and enjoyed with wine we brought on board. Never missed the MDR the entire trip.

Great idea on the ice cream and coffee, I will try on my upcoming Alaskan cruise. I like to get the grilled fish on the buffet and crumble it in my salad with some of the canned peaches. It is wonderful with salmon, and my favorite poolside lunch, so much so I now buy fresh peaches and grill them on the barbque, grill fresh salmon and flake it into my green salad with the peaches and add a mild balsamic vinegrette.

Not a "hack" but you can adjust what you order in MDR. For instance if you like the Fettuccine Alfredo you can ask to have a grilled chicken breast sliced up and put on top.

Does anyone else create their own favorite meals (or snacks or drinks or....) by combining things available from the Buffet or various eateries around the ship? I have a few things that I regularly do, but I'd love to hear some other ideas!! :D

My favorites:

• Grilled Chicken Salad - grilled chicken from the Grill and salad from the salad bar in Horizon Court. Great Lunch!!!
  • A little bit of chocolate ice cream in the bottom of a coffee cup...let it melt just a little then add coffee for a mocha. Use vanilla ice cream and it's similar to a (french) vanilla creamer. This makes the coffee in the buffet a little more palatable if I want to drink a LOT of coffee (upcoming Alaska cruise) and don't want to use my entire Coffee card in 3 days.

So.....any other ideas? What do others do?

What ship are you on where you have a coffee card .?????

What ship are you on where you have a coffee card .?????

On any Princess ship you can buy a coffee card with 15 punches for specialty coffees and unlimited brewed coffee and tea for that voyage. Unused punches on the card can be used for future cruises.

My ony condiments are good ranch and bbq sauce :eek:

So i will put one or the other or dip fries etc on one .

Im a super taster....look it up....it is hard to eat things with all the spicy menus going around. Probably keeps me thinner than if I loved more zest. :cool:

I checked out the menu hacks on the Carnival thread referenced above. There WERE a lot of good ideas, but not many that would translate to Princess as many of them required the Blue Iguana or other food options on CCL....one that I found that looked enticing and I think CAN be done on Princess was to commandeer the wonderful tropical juices from breakfast (I actually don't remember if PCL has anything other than orange and apple at breakfast but now I'm HOPING they do....) and put it in fridge back in stateroom...then mix it in with vanilla soft serve ice cream that afternoon for a fruity shake. :hearteyes:

I'm hoping PCL has some interesting breakfast juices for doing this....though as I think about it, wouldn't OJ make something similar to 'dreamsickle'???? wondering......

Still hoping for more ideas here that pertain to Princess....

Just avoid Princess's pineapple juice as it's always brown and tastes funny.

We bring on some cans of root beer, orange and black cherry sodas to make our own floats. Never had an issue having our water cup filled with soft serve. (We use a ship water cup, not our own, personal water cup.)