Once/day Cabin Steward service, which do you prefer AM/PM & why?

mamiamjo

We've only done 1 cruise with Carnival last summer and and 1 on Princess so long ago. We weren't asked on Glory if we wanted 1, 2 or both but I knew the steward cleaned in the morning and I knew when we got back in the evening we had the funtimes and towel animal. What is included or supposed to be included in morning and evening service?

ETA: We were 4 in a cabin also and beds stayed out all day.

Both. With our child moving from a pack and play to a sofa bed soon we will need the sofa made up for night time and put away for day time use as well. We also go through towels quickly; they do not have time to dry on the rack between uses (more than 1 shower daily). When we get cartons of milk for our child we need fresh ice for them to sit on because the fridge (if there is one) does not get cold enough for safe storage. We put away all our own clothes, papers, etc.

If someone has a different preference from mine for themselves that is perfectly fine too.

Both.

If they go to once a day, that's fine with us but they will get half tips, it's that simple.

We were on the Legend in August and the steward asked AM or PM, I said both, he gave me a dissatisfied look. That's when I knew they were on their way to changing it.

On the Miracle in November, they never asked, we just got both.

We haven't cruised Carnival since they began asking this but will have this choice when we cruise on Sunshine in May. I think I'll ask for 2 on port days and PM on sea days. We often get up early on sea days and then like to go relax in the room for a bit or go and change or something after breakfast. It seems like we always show up when the cabin steward is either in our cabin or just about to get to it. On sea days I feel like I can just pull the blankets up on my own bed in the a.m.

Cindy

We were on our first cruise this past January, 2 rooms for four people. We were pleasantly surprised when we returned to our cabins in the evening and saw the freshened up room, towel animals and that they had replaced our towels. While twice a day isn't a make or break deal for us, it was nice and it is a service that is included per Carnival in the auto tips.

If we are asked; AM, PM or both on our next cruise, we will choose both. If it's changed to AM or PM only (not twice) I do think they need to change the tip amount, as it is, we are tipping for twice a day service.

If it's changed to AM or PM only, we would probably choose PM. It's nice to come back after a fun day to a fresh cabin that's ready for us to tuck into and start off our next morning.

We haven't cruised Carnival since they began asking this but will have this choice when we cruise on Sunshine in May. I think I'll ask for 2 on port days and PM on sea days. We often get up early on sea days and then like to go relax in the room for a bit or go and change or something after breakfast. It seems like we always show up when the cabin steward is either in our cabin or just about to get to it. On sea days I feel like I can just pull the blankets up on my own bed in the a.m.

Cindy

It would be nice if we were all given the option of that level of specificity for the timing of service but we aren't. Choosing port days versus sea days service times is not currently offered.

How are they working hard for you if you're doing all the work??

My post was (tic)

Yeah, this is insane. I would never clean on my vacation, much less tip them for not doing their job. I always leave the auto tips, and leave more for those who went above and beyond expectations.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

Of course it's insane, like the poster who posted they felt bad asking for both.

The amount of cabins the stewards have to clean is not my concern. That is between them and their employer.

Just like me if I don't like the way things are I get another job. I'm sure they could get another job with one of the other cruise lines where they don't have to clean so many rooms.

Bill

All I want is for them to turn the couch into a couch in the morning and back to a bed in the evening, and refresh the towels.

If that's too much for them to do I have no problem doing it myself but if I do it, then I get the tip.

It would be nice if we were all given the option of that level of specificity for the timing of service but we aren't. Choosing port days versus sea days service times is not currently offered.

For those days when you do no want morning service, but have chosen "both", use the do not disturb door tag.

Just like me if I don't like the way things are I get another job. I'm sure they could get another job with one of the other cruise lines where they don't have to clean so many rooms.

Bill

This is only partially true. The Carnival Corporation does not permit inter-line contract shifting, e.g. Carnival to Princess without a two year break from employment with the company. This information is per crew who have posted on this site in the past when the topic has come up.

This is only partially true. The Carnival Corporation does not permit inter-line contract shifting, e.g. Carnival to Princess without a two year break from employment with the company. This information is per crew who have posted on this site in the past when the topic has come up.

Thank you for that info. Did not know that.:)

Bill

We prefer both am and pm; however, on those rare sea days when we have slept in a bit and our steward is ready to take care of the cabin in the morning we simply let him/her know that we are fine right now but could use some more towels. They are always fine with that and just do what needs to be done when they come back in the evening.

It's true that while in a hotel on land we only get once a day service, but when we cruise I like to enjoy time on our balcony and I don't want to feel like I have to rush out of our cabin at a certain time in order to get our one shot at service for the day. :(

We chose PM. On the first day we provide a tip for our expected great service and asked the steward to make sure we have towels and ice in the AM. It was the best decision for us. We like to shower after the day and before dinner so that was when the cabin needed tending. In the past, no matter how long we were gone in the AM, the steward would be in our room when we returned, it actually created stress between my husband and I, he wanted to wait till after we returned from breakfast and went out for the day to let them in, I wanted them in while we were at breakfast.

I don't look at it as "I pay for twice a day, I should get twice a day", I pay for my cabin to be tended to, bed made, towels replaced, ice, vacuuming, etc. so the room looks good. If that only takes once a day fine, if it takes more, so be it (we tend to be very tidy on a ship.) Once a day meets our service needs and PM service is the best for us.

I feel like I've handled a lot of the Carnival changes without really caring since I feel like I still get a good value for my money. HOWEVER, only having service once a day would significantly impact my vacation experience, and would definitely make me seek out other options. When we travel, we have 5 of us in a room (my husband and I along with 3 little ones). It works fine for us, but I would not be willing to give up twice a day service with 5 people sharing such a tiny space.

Once a day service is fine for us in a hotel, but you can't really compare a cruise cabin with this since the space is so much smaller.

We chose PM. On the first day we provide a tip for our expected great service and asked the steward to make sure we have towels and ice in the AM. It was the best decision for us. We like to shower after the day and before dinner so that was when the cabin needed tending. In the past, no matter how long we were gone in the AM, the steward would be in our room when we returned, it actually created stress between my husband and I, he wanted to wait till after we returned from breakfast and went out for the day to let them in, I wanted them in while we were at breakfast.

I don't look at it as "I pay for twice a day, I should get twice a day", I pay for my cabin to be tended to, bed made, towels replaced, ice, vacuuming, etc. so the room looks good. If that only takes once a day fine, if it takes more, so be it (we tend to be very tidy on a ship.) Once a day meets our service needs and PM service is the best for us.

We are the same! I like to sleep in and relax in the morning without being in the way of the steward. Plus I'm really not a fun morning person, so for the safety of all involved, we go for pm service. :')

Reading these posts just made me think, "First world problems". ;p

Both - The last cruise we were asked and because there was a trundle bed in the room I requested both. However my sister picked only AM. The reason being her daughter was 2.5 and she didn't want service to interfere with naps or bed routine.

As long as we have a pull out or a trundle in our room I will ask for both. But I do ask if they could just make the beds in the morning and they can do the rest am/pm as they prefer.

Roughly how early do they come for a morning cleaning? This is our first CCL cruise, all our previous cruises have been with RC where the steward came midmorning and again during dinner time.

I totally don't want to make my own beds on vacation, or have unmade beds in the room all day, so my plan is to ask for both. But I don't want anyone knocking at 7 am either.

Roughly how early do they come for a morning cleaning? This is our first CCL cruise, all our previous cruises have been with RC where the steward came midmorning and again during dinner time.

I totally don't want to make my own beds on vacation, or have unmade beds in the room all day, so my plan is to ask for both. But I don't want anyone knocking at 7 am either.

They won't come knocking at 7:00 AM. I would think you would have at least until 9:00 AM before they might knock to check with you if you want the cabin cleaned.

Actually, if you put the Snoozin' (do not disturb) sign on your door I don't think they will ever knock. They will just skip you for that day (or at least until evening) if it comes to the end of their shift and the sign is still up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe they told me the AM time was 8:30-12:30. I would put the snoozing sign up at night..and leave it there until I was ready for them to clean my room. Then I would switch it to Cruising. On a sea day that may have been as late as 10 or 10:30 and I never had a problem getting my room cleaned.