Once/day Cabin Steward service, which do you prefer AM/PM & why?

mamiamjo

And yet the cruise price is much less now than in the 80's (I both sailed in the 80's and worked onboard 3 of the CCL ships in the 80's). Can't understand why people who hate Carnival keep giving the company their business.

It should be half plus a percentage, being they cram twice as many passengers on the ships now.

Just off Splendor yesterday - yes, the 50% cruise!- and heard the following conversation as we were on our balcony around 2:00 embark day (steward had gone into cabin next to us to introduce himself to occupants who were also on their balcony discussing how excited they were to be on their first cruise):

"Do you want morning or evening cabin service?"

They requested evening service. He never came into my cabin to ask us, and our cabin was serviced 2x a day. Wonder if they are just asking "new" cruisers?

I say no. We have cruised before and not been asked. I think it's a fairly recent thing. But, when we cruised in October on the Sunshine we were asked morning or evening. This was actually disappointing. We do a pretty good job of keeping our own room tidy and clean too, but I do like to have the bed made in the morning and fresh towels ... and we like to have the bed turned down in the evening while at dinner. We shower 2x a day usually so fresh towels make a difference.

We cruise again in April. I wonder if we will be asked again.

If I choose AM, does that mean they do not come by in the PM at all (I'm used to them coming by in the PM with the Fun Times and the towel animal)?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They might do the towel animal in the morning and drop funtimes in your mailbox.

Yes, I think the (valid) point there was we are paying the same grats we always have, and only getting half the service. If we get half the service, shouldn't we pay half the grats?

Half of the Stewards portion of the grats, not half the grats.

This is only partially true. The Carnival Corporation does not permit inter-line contract shifting, e.g. Carnival to Princess without a two year break from employment with the company. This information is per crew who have posted on this site in the past when the topic has come up.

Wouldn't have to be CC to CC. They could go to RCCL, NCL, X, Celebrity, Oceania, Regent, etc..... without waiting.

I would choose PM. I am on VACATION. I don't think having the room serviced once a day is going to have any influence on my cruise. Some people just seem to look for SOMETHING to complain/worry about before they even step foot on their cruise.

I think you are misunderstanding much of what people are saying. Having once or twice a day service will not impact the enjoyment of a cruise whatsoever. But, I am also not going to pay for something that I did not receive. I have been sailing Carnival for 16 years and have always received 2xdaily service for the tips I paid. If they want to change it to 1xdaily service, that's fine. No complaining. But I won't pay for the extra service that I'm not receiving and with a smile on my face and a pleasant tone of voice, I will head over to the GS at my leisure to change the tips to equal the level of service I am receiving. There is no complaining, it's simply paying for what I get. To me it would be no different than if you arrived at the ship after paying for a balcony and being told that they changed you to an oceanview......you would not be getting what you paid for.

I can somewhat see giving guests a choice whether they want AM, PM, or both. But if there is a choice, then to me everyone should be given that choice, and there should be no difference in attitude based on the response received.

If staff has a problem with management over feeling that they have too many cabins to maintain, then they should take that concern to management, rather than relaying issues thereof to guests and picking/choosing whose room gets better service. To me keeping the room clean, making and turning down the beds, putting bunks/trundles into position, and ensuring enough towels is part of the price I pay for my vacation. I don't think room maintenance should depend on whether or not a guest has cruised with CCL before, or how much they paid for their cabin. I do get giving perks for repeat customers, but cleanliness of the room isn't a perk, it's something I expect regardless of what "level" I am.

We prefer twice a day because of the activities we participate in throughout the day. Also I want to point out when we first started cruising we had 4 in our room. Each day the two additional beds were folded away and the bed linens were removed from the couch. From the video and photos I see posted now this no longer occurs.

We are happy with the service but it is easy to see service was better when the staff to guest ratio was higher.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Where's Jimbo? Lot's of negativity here to be adjusted.

Just reading and waiting....I see you jumped in before me tho? Seems people are overly sensitive today, so I will just continue reading...if that is OK with everyone

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It would be nice if we were all given the option of that level of specificity for the timing of service but we aren't. Choosing port days versus sea days service times is not currently offered.

I'm sure that this "level of specificity" isn't offered (nor is it expected by me by the way), but I'm sure that if I check both and tell the steward I don't need two services on sea days, I doubt I'll be reported to the "how many services a day" fairy. With the reported 34 cabins to service is true, I doubt the cabin steward would be too upset by my request.

Cindy

PM because we party late and wake up late. We may even go back and take a nap in the afternoon. The once we're done with the room and headed out for the evening, the room steward can come in and do what is needed. There's only 2 of us in the room and we get a suite so don't feel like it's needed twice a day with the extra room you have to put things in a suite. never cluttered up and we hang the towels, never throw them on the floor.

I can somewhat see giving guests a choice whether they want AM, PM, or both. But if there is a choice, then to me everyone should be given that choice, and there should be no difference in attitude based on the response received.

If staff has a problem with management over feeling that they have too many cabins to maintain, then they should take that concern to management, rather than relaying issues thereof to guests and picking/choosing whose room gets better service. To me keeping the room clean, making and turning down the beds, putting bunks/trundles into position, and ensuring enough towels is part of the price I pay for my vacation. I don't think room maintenance should depend on whether or not a guest has cruised with CCL before, or how much they paid for their cabin. I do get giving perks for repeat customers, but cleanliness of the room isn't a perk, it's something I expect regardless of what "level" I am.

Very true. Everyone pays the same tips and should expect the same service.

We prefer twice a day because of the activities we participate in throughout the day. Also I want to point out when we first started cruising we had 4 in our room. Each day the two additional beds were folded away and the bed linens were removed from the couch. From the video and photos I see posted now this no longer occurs.

We are happy with the service but it is easy to see service was better when the staff to guest ratio was higher.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Wait...what?

They no longer put away the beds during the day?

That is just NOT ok.

We do PM service only. We are very easy to please, and let our room steward know that right off. The only thing we ask is that we have clean towels every night (we shower at night--can't imagine crawling into bed without washing the day off--yuck!) and our ice bucket filled. We don't care about our blanket being turned down or what towel animal, if any, we get. These people work their tails off, and I like being able to tell them that we're low-maintenance. I always see a little bit of relief in their eyes. ;) We do tip extra that first night/encounter when we ask that our ice bucket gets filled every evening.

Holy, first world problems.

Just booked our first cruise and will choose PM service and just ice in the mornings. Like the poster above me, we are very low maintenance. I will just be happy to be on holidays and relaxing. Not too hard to throw my blankets on my bed in the am.

We prefer and expect service twice daily . One of the many reasons we no longer cruise Carnival.

....hopefully having to answer a question for your preference of cabin service was fairly low on the many, many reasons you stopped cruising....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

both, they did not cut the gratuities n half so why should i get half the service

I agree. When they cut their service charge in half for housekeeping then I will go to once a day.

This thread upsets me in many ways but here is one. These cabin stewards sign a contract spelling out their job. They sign it.

Why cry about it. It is your job. I am tired of hearing these people complain and complain to try to get you to pay them more.

People get real. If I complained about my job like a lot of these stewards do I would be fired. Our stewards in October were great. But we listened to many complain as we walked the halls every day to and from the elevator.

Carnival says twice a day service. That is what I expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums