When Does CATS end on Oasis?

Would love to see RCCL rotate there plays more often, even if I like a play I do not want to see it more than twice

Me too...but not cost effective for RCI. Lots of cost involved with change out of the set,

costumes, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
We had our 2 girls read Old Possums Book of Practical Cats and after reading that, they loved the play as they were familiar with the poems set to music other than Memory. Also they knew the back story about T. S. Eliot.

How can anyone not like Bustopher Jones, the St. James's Street cat?

Can't attest to quality of musical, but when we saw it in London, it was great. I would love to see it on Oasis, hoping they did not cancel the performance! :rolleyes:

With the pace of the show, you could probably bring the book and read along with the show.

I would hope that "Cats or no Cats" would not be a reason to not book a cruise on the Oasis. No one forces you to go to the shows. I know many folks who cruise who never set foot in any of the production shows.

Hopefully this one doesn't have nine lives.

Glad I read all the way through before I posted the same joke - you beat me to it! :D

Loved Mama Mia on Allure. My wife has dragged me to several Broadway plays over the years. For me, Mama Mia was my 3rd favorite behind Jersey Boys and Spamalot.

Jersey Boys would be a great production for a ship, but I think the hardest thing would be to find someone that could do justice to the Frankie Valley (make that Valli - see I did see the show) lead. If he doesn't have the chops, it's a hard thing to pull off...

Jersey Boys would be a great production for a ship, but I think the hardest thing would be to find someone that could do justice to the Frankie Valley (make that Valli - see I did see the show) lead. If he doesn't have the chops, it's a hard thing to pull off...

Having now decided on Symphony, I'm hoping it will be Jersey Boys.

• Haha 1

From what I saw when on Oasis, about 20 minutes into the performance for many guests.

No joke, my wife is more into musicals... and like it or not, I've gone to many with her over the years. Even she thought CATS was horrible.

Dodged that bullet... but while we thought we had to sneak out... we weren't alone in doing so.

No joke, my wife is more into musicals... and like it or not, I've gone to many with her over the years. Even she thought CATS was horrible.

Dodged that bullet... but while we thought we had to sneak out... we weren't alone in doing so.

When I saw CATS no one seemed to give the need to sneak out the slightest thought.

When I saw CATS no one seemed to give the need to sneak out the slightest thought.

I think you remember my review of it as part of my Oasis review. Weren't you boarding Navigator the same day I boarded Oasis? Anyway, my wife wanted to sit in row 5. From there I could see the faces of each performer and I'm pretty sure from my experience on Love and Marriage, that they could see my face in row 5. I was fighting off yawning so much my face cramped up.

Having now decided on Symphony, I'm hoping it will be Jersey Boys.

That would be awesome. My concern is that Jersey Boys is too "new" and would be too expensive for RCI to negotiate. One can hope though. I saw JB in London when we were on a TA. AWESOME !

The current news release from RCCL:

Due to the overwhelming demand for Cats expressed to us by our Oasis passengers, CATS will now have a $7.95 service charge to enhance your experience.

This why I love being part of CC.:D:D:D:D

Both Hairspray and Chicago were changed at the 5 year dry dock so Cats would either be on for 5 years or 10 as they can't change the show out without a drydock. My bet would be on the 5 year mark.

Also since Oasis will be having her 5 year drydock in 2019 she will most likely be doing a TA in the spring of 2019 so I'm not sure if this would impact your preferred cruise dates in April 2019.

I think we will see a new show in 2019 also. From what I read here on CC, it seems like Cats has not been very well received as most comments have people leaving at the intermission. I am sure Royal reads these comments.

• Haha 1

I'm sure it's gone on the next dry dock. Moving Home port of Oasis to Port Canaveral means the Ship is competing with DIsney, and with the Universal land & Sea packages, Cats is not a show that's selling many tickets. I would expect something a bit more family oriented as soon as they can.

• Haha 1

I saw Cats for the first time last May. Having read comments on CC about how boring it was and how people walked out I had low expectations.

How wrong I was! I'd never seen it, never read the poems on which it is based, but I was mesmerised. The stage is incredible, the costumes superb, the singing outstanding, the music wonderful. We were on a back to back so actually first went in for the second half of the performance when there were, indeed, plenty of seats left, but from the moment the music started I couldn't take my eyes off the stage. I went back several times over the next two weeks, and enjoyed every minute.

I realise it is long, but those who left at the interlude missed some of the best bits.

I hope to go back on oasis and I will certainly be seeing Cats again.

So I would say, don't be put off, it's spectacular, and must be one of, if not THE, best shows on the high seas. With Andrew Lloyd Webber behind it what else would expect?

• Like 1

The current news release from RCCL:

Due to the overwhelming demand for Cats expressed to us by our Oasis passengers, CATS will now have a $7.95 service charge to enhance your experience.

I just spit jello at my screen and ruined a keyboard. Totally worth it!

I realise it is long, but those who left at the interlude missed some of the best bits.

I

I would argue that. Some of the most recognizable songs maybe, but best bits? The Pirate scenes and the Siamese cat/space aliens made no sense.

• Haha 1

The schedule will also match the dry-dock time for the Oasis. That's when they would do the costly and timely changeover.

IIRC, the last time, it went over to Europe in the spring of 2014, did the dry dock, stayed for a few months in the Med, and returned in early September. I would bet 2019 will be similar.

And I think it should be pretty firm that a dry dock will happen in 2019, since it seems to be a pretty strict 5 year schedule for the inspections.

You are thinking of Allure that stayed in Europe for a few months after dry dock. Oasis came, had her dry dock, then transatlantic'd straight home again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on Oasis last month and saw Cats at a Matinee. We had seen it many years ago in London's West End and thought the ships production was up to that level. The quality of the dancing and singing was super professional. However, it is the wrong choice for a cruise ship. Only one number that most will have heard of and a very loose story with bitty tangents. I did feel you needed to sit close to the stage to appreciate the costumes and make up. We stayed to the end and the stalwarts did give it a standing ovation as you had to appreciate the effort. Im glad we did it on a sea day matinee as I wouldn't have wanted to devote one of our evenings to watching it.

We are already planning our next Oasis class cruise and the production show is a factor in that choice but hardly likely to swing it either way.

My phrasing wasn't quite right.

We thought we'd have to sneak out. There were so many people leaving that sneaking out wasn't even a consideration. We just walked out with everyone else.

We went on the Oasis Nov of 2014. It was the first sailing in FL after it arriving of long dry dock. They had just switched to Cats. I had read that they keep it like 5 yrs (til next dry dock). Could be wrong. We personally were bored and left half way through along with many others. Many left before that. It was the first night and we were tired. Don't think it would have made a difference for us though. We saw Mamma Mia on Allure recently and LOVED that show! So guessing it will be there at least til 2019

I saw Cats for the first time last May. Having read comments on CC about how boring it was and how people walked out I had low expectations.

How wrong I was! I'd never seen it, never read the poems on which it is based, but I was mesmerised. The stage is incredible, the costumes superb, the singing outstanding, the music wonderful. We were on a back to back so actually first went in for the second half of the performance when there were, indeed, plenty of seats left, but from the moment the music started I couldn't take my eyes off the stage. I went back several times over the next two weeks, and enjoyed every minute.

I hope to go back on oasis and I will certainly be seeing Cats again.

So I would say, don't be put off, it's spectacular, and must be one of, if not THE, best shows on the high seas. With Andrew Lloyd Webber behind it what else would expect?

851f0676d4855884c765a9a5ed2486e2.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app