Mariner Stars and Pinnacle Grill Question

HermmyGranger

I always check my shipboard account within a day or two of getting on the ship.

One -- to make certain all shipboard credit we are due is there.

Two -- to make certain that we get the "Loyalty" refund (as shipboard credit) for pre-booked specialty restaurants. A couple of times we have not gotten the credit and had to have the concierges get it straightened out.

The 'free' internet access onboard for HAL sites makes checking your account real easy. Take your tablet (or smartphone with WiFi) with you whether you plan to go online or not. There are now instructions in the stateroom. You create an account and password and you can logon to the ship account anytime. The system created username is simple and based on name and stateroom number. Maybe it should be pointed out to HAL that is not the securest way to do it as there is important data there.

'Loyalty' credits are easily identifiable.

Dennis

Just an additional thought...

We do book and pay ahead because it seems easier to get a desired reservation time that way. Sometimes onboard they are a little stricter. The price adjustment (a credit) has always appeared there on our folio. No problems.

We prepaid online for a dinner for 4 in the PG last Novmeber. We are 4-star Mariners. The PG matre'd had our pre-payment, and we had our dinner. We waited a few days to see the discount applied to our onboard account, but it never happened. We approached the matre'd of the PG and he said "the 50% mariner discount applies only if you book onboard". We disputed that with the front desk, and they originally said that the PG matre'd was wrong and we would see the 50% credit applied to the credit card we used to book the dinner reservation. We didn't agree with that either. The front desk sent a message to Seattle, and they told them to immediately credit our onboard account for the 50% discount. Seattle said that in the future (who knows when) when you book any specialty dining on the website, they will immediately apply the mariner discount to the purchase. It appears that it is a royal pain to keep track if you actually had your meal, and to order the credits. So they will do it automatically when you book it. Who knows when this will actually be implemented on the website ?

We prepaid online for a dinner for 4 in the PG last Novmeber. We are 4-star Mariners. The PG matre'd had our pre-payment, and we had our dinner. We waited a few days to see the discount applied to our onboard account, but it never happened. We approached the matre'd of the PG and he said "the 50% mariner discount applies only if you book onboard". We disputed that with the front desk, and they originally said that the PG matre'd was wrong and we would see the 50% credit applied to the credit card we used to book the dinner reservation. We didn't agree with that either. The front desk sent a message to Seattle, and they told them to immediately credit our onboard account for the 50% discount. Seattle said that in the future (who knows when) when you book any specialty dining on the website, they will immediately apply the mariner discount to the purchase. It appears that it is a royal pain to keep track if you actually had your meal, and to order the credits. So they will do it automatically when you book it. Who knows when this will actually be implemented on the website ?

WOW! Back a few years ago, they didn't credit me until I went to the PG dinner (or other specialty dinners) but that changed for us a few cruises ago.

We always see that the 50% back is credited to our on board statement within 24 hours of boarding.

Good for you for standing firm. I would do the same if I had to.

I just check my on board account and if it's not there, get to the bottom of it. Haven't had an issue SINCE the foolishness of having to go to the dinner first stopped.

The 'free' internet access onboard for HAL sites makes checking your account real easy. Take your tablet (or smartphone with WiFi) with you whether you plan to go online or not. There are now instructions in the stateroom. You create an account and password and you can logon to the ship account anytime. The system created username is simple and based on name and stateroom number. Maybe it should be pointed out to HAL that is not the securest way to do it as there is important data there.

'Loyalty' credits are easily identifiable.

Dennis

You are assuming that everyone has a tablet and/or smart phone.

I don't even take a laptop on a cruise anymore -- haven't for years.

And I only have a regular cell that can only be used for emergency use. I have no need for a fancy phone.

Seattle said that in the future (who knows when) when you book any specialty dining on the website, they will immediately apply the mariner discount to the purchase.
Don't hold your breath! They've been promising that for years. When the Star program first started the discount only applied if you booked on board, but that only lasted a couple of months. Edited by jtl513

Don't hold your breath! They've been promising that for years. When the Star program first started the discount only applied if you booked on board, but that only lasted a couple of months.

Until then you get onboard spending credit for the full amount then 25% back in OBC