Travel sickness medication

Kirsty78

Hi, looking for advice on travel sickness medication. First cruise coming up for a group of 6 and would like to be prepared. Thanks

Sent from my LG-H850 using Forums mobile app

there are other threads on this subject- I made a note of some suggestions which were Bonine, Dramamine, sea bands and Psibands. The pharmacist should be able to suggest a good choice :)

Couple of things. First is anyone in your group prone to motion sickness? If not, it's very unlikely they will get motion sick on a cruise. Most don't; and those that do are usually aware because they also get sick in cars, planes, buses, etc.

If someone is prone to motion sickness there are 3 options that they should consider based on their medical history and preferences.

1. Transderm scop is a motion sickness patch, almost always prescription needed and may or may not be covered by insurance - plus is it's a longer term solution. 1 patch on the skin, change every 3 days. I'm very motion sickness prone and found it to be effective but some are bothered by mild to severe side effects.

2. Bonine/mezcaline/non drowsy Dramamine - OTC, most start before getting motion sick, take 1 pill twice a day. Effective, just have to remember to take it. For some people it causes drowsiness. Good one to bring along just in case someone gets unexpectedly motion sick. Some people like to take it for the first few days till they get their sea legs and the stop it.

3. A variety of non medical remedies like ginger, green apples, sea bands, etc. some people say they work - I've never tried them but they are generally considered non harmful and worth s try for someone worried about side effects

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I bought a few types and have them ready to go,just in case. Bonine, non drowsy dramamine, behind the ear patches,seabands,and ginger. hopefully that will cover us with any issues. I'd rather spend 25 bucks now than have to worry later....

I had no problems with motion sickness for about a dozen cruises and it hit me on a couple of cruises on the first night. I took Bonine, which we had carried and a few hours later I was fine. We bought the seabands in the gift shop and I used them the next day because we were going out on a boat for an excursion...along with the Bonine. Seems to work for me without causing me to sleep, but I take them at night and I start taking them two nights before boarding the ship. No problems since then, but I'll continue to take it to avoid that nasty episode of getting seasick.