Friend may need to cancel

Luvmyrotti

My DH and I are doing a B2B in less than 2 weeks. My two friends are booked to join us on the second half. One of my friends is battling cancer and is not feeling very well on her new treatment. She may not be able to make the trip. Both my friends have insurance, which us private and not through Princess. My friend who is not sick may still sail.

What is the best way to deal with this?

The way I look at it, Princess currently has their fare in full. I've heard that if we try to cancel ahead of time, Princess may try to collect the single supplement from my friend who is still sailing.

Should we wait until boarding, then my friend who is sailing simply tells the Purser that her cabin-mate will not be joining the ship and sails single, with all fare paid to Princess by my friends at that point. Then our friend who is not sailing files an insurance claim to be reimbursed through the non-Princess insurance company for the fare she insured.

What advise from those who have had similar experiences do you gave to offer?

There is a bit of a dilemma for your friends. Since you are in the 100% cancellation penalty phase If the one who is not ill wishes to sail solo it is usually best for them to just show up and have their cabinmate be a "no-show". But the terms of the independent insurance may require advance cancellation of a certain number of days even for medical reasons (unless they can document the condition just turning acute the morning of departure or an accident on the way to the port). Got to balance the small-but-real possibility of a re-fare versus making sure the insurance claim will be valid--which almost always requires formal cancellation rather than just a no-show.

I know you were asking for specific experiences, and I can relay that my mom was re-fared when she called to change to a single a week before sailing (her friend sailing with her had a death in the family). But the amount of the single supplement turned out to be less than the reimbursement her friend got from her independent insurance, and of course the govt taxes and fees were refunded from Princess.

The friend who plans to still sail should do nothing. Board as planned. Do not volunteer information. She has a separate folio so whether there is someone else in the cabin or not shouldn't affect her.

Unfortunately, it's your sick friend who has the dilemma. Even with insurance, she may not be able to make a claim due to a pre-existing condition. It'll depend on her insurance. I wish her a full recovery.

I would call your Travel Agent. There are too many factors here to be considered (pre-existing condition coverage, single coverage if other person doesn't sail, etc...). Hopefully your TA will help you make a decision on what to do.

She has cancer, so I would imagine she is being seen by a lot of doctors. It might be possible for one of them to write a note that could document a reason for her to need to miss the cruise.

I don't know how travel insurance works with cancer, but I have sailed pregnant and was told by my insurance carrier that a normal pregnancy would not get me a refund, but if there were complications and a doctor wrote a note saying there was a medical reason I shouldn't travel for myself or the baby, then the insurance would kick in.

It is possible - but certainly not guaranteed - that a doctor would be sympathetic to your friend's plight and want to help. By the way, are you certain they didn't purchase "cancel for any reason" insurance? With that, she really should be a no-show since Princess isn't out anything and she'd be reimbursed by the insurance.

Because your payment is locked in and paid in full, Princess will not charge the single supplement (as they are already collecting 2 fares - its the insurance paying out not Princess). They will also usually not charge port fees or hotel charge (note that this affects the steward, etc) If cancellation had been before that and they had to refund some or all, you would have been hit with it.

How to deal with insurance depends on the terms of the policy, but in general far better off starting the process sooner or later.

There is a bit of a dilemma for your friends. Since you are in the 100% cancellation penalty phase If the one who is not ill wishes to sail solo it is usually best for them to just show up and have their cabinmate be a "no-show". But the terms of the independent insurance may require advance cancellation of a certain number of days even for medical reasons (unless they can document the condition just turning acute the morning of departure or an accident on the way to the port). Got to balance the small-but-real possibility of a re-fare versus making sure the insurance claim will be valid--which almost always requires formal cancellation rather than just a no-show.

I know you were asking for specific experiences, and I can relay that my mom was re-fared when she called to change to a single a week before sailing (her friend sailing with her had a death in the family). But the amount of the single supplement turned out to be less than the reimbursement her friend got from her independent insurance, and of course the govt taxes and fees were refunded from Princess.

Well said. It is better for your non-ill friend just to go solo. Your ill friend may just have to check if the insurance covers the pre-existing condition.

Thanks for all the replies. Because the insurance was purchased timely, the pre-ex waiver applies, so my ill friend should not have a problem with the insurance company reimbursing her for her fare. I just didn't want my friend who may still sail to have to deal with Princess trying to charge a single supplement (on top of the full double fare that has already been received).

Thanks for all the replies. Because the insurance was purchased timely, the pre-ex waiver applies, so my ill friend should not have a problem with the insurance company reimbursing her for her fare. I just didn't want my friend who may still sail to have to deal with Princess trying to charge a single supplement (on top of the full double fare that has already been received).

I would then call the insurance company and discuss options.

The last thing I would do is do nothing and just show up and have the friend be a no-show. Many insurance companies will reimburse your other friend if she is charged the single supplement. Only your insurance company can tell you how they would handle this.

My upcoming Hawaiian cruise was booked last year when I was in the period of just finishing up a year of treatments for breast cancer and getting my "post treatment" scans to see that all was clear. Obviously, I needed to purchase insurance that would cover, in case my cancer was not gone or I had some other type of complication from my treatments. If you purchase your insurance within 30 days of the booking, at least with the company my travel agent used, pre-existing conditions were covered. The only thing that they said was "if you were able to get on a cruise and cruise RIGHT NOW, would you be able to and would your doctor say so"