Port Everglades, - ruis Ship almos hits house as it cleaves PortEverglades Not HAL

sail7seas

[ LINK Happily all is well, ship fine and no one hur but this tape is amazing to see. This has to be Port Everglades. My DH and I always walk the neighborhood which abuts Port Everglades

when we stqy at at Hyatt Pier 66 and we walked right in that nice neigthborhood. neighbors often invited us to sit on their sea walls. . We walked there lilterally huundreds of times. :) http://www.wptv.com/news/state/video-cruise-ship-drifts-close-to-fort-lauderdale-home [/]

I remembered that Google was my friend and was able to locate a working video. I think it must have been a scary episode for the homeowners.

I just clocked the link and the video played fine for me

http://www.wptv.com/news/state/video-cruise-ship-drifts-close-to-fort-lauderdale-home[/]

I saw the video on ouer local NBC news and googled to find a link t otthe video. Mus have been so c frightening for the home owners to see that cruise ship coming right at gtheir back patio where thy were standing.

[

I remembered that Google was my friend and was able to locate a working video. I think it must have been a scary episode for the homeowners.

It played on Google. When I tried it on Chrome I got an error message 404 and "page not found".

I didn't think it was that close, either.

They were still the channel and were turning the ship. Not an issue. People on board said nothing was noticed.

From some reports there was a fuel leak that required equinox to use a different dock. That is probably why it was turning in a different than normal spot.

My grandparents had a house in that neighborhood when I was a kid (not directly on the channel but about a half-block away). Other neighborhood kids and I used to play down on a vacant lot with a sandbar right in that same area where the ships were just starting to come through the inlet from the port. Ships were much smaller then, but they could definitely look huge (and very close) when you were right there.

I'm with POA in saying it didn't look like it was going to hit the wall, and the video says the ship did not touch ground.

I just clocked the link and the video played fine for me

http://www.wptv.com/news/state/video-cruise-ship-drifts-close-to-fort-lauderdale-home[/]

I saw the video on ouer local NBC news and googled to find a link t otthe video. Mus have been so c frightening for the home owners to see that cruise ship coming right at gtheir back patio where thy were standing.

[

keep In mind that some videos are restricted to just certain areas.

We Canadian cannot often get some you tube clips along with other things. The link didn't work for me either, but I found it thanks to sapper1's google suggestion.

I join with POA1 - didn't look like a close call to me either

keep In mind that some videos are restricted to just certain areas.

We Canadian cannot often get some you tube clips along with other things. The link didn't work for me either, but I found it thanks to sapper1's google suggestion.

I join with POA1 - didn't look like a close call to me either

Link worked for this Canadian (on Chrome). I agree, it didn't look like it was a close call. But I'd imagine if I was the one standing there, it would be a little close for comfort.

Nautical near miss. ;)

We were talking about this last night. Neither DW nor I thought it looked terribly close. Since the ship didn't run aground or tear up the cables that run along the channel, it couldn't have come that close.

Here's what you need to know: Port Everglades Depth Chart.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11470.shtml

There is a thread about this on the Celebrity page, and the OP posted a marinetraffic satellite image of the port, and there is a considerable area of shallows outside the channel (about half a ship length), so since the USCG was notified and determined from the ship's ECDIS system that the ship never left the channel, it was not that close to the house as the video perspective would indicate.

Although not that close I noticed the bow thrusters were kicking up a lot of sand and silt so property owner may have been more concerned for beach or seawall erosion.

Actually was more interested in seeing the ship "cleave" Port Everglades. :evilsmile:

Although not that close I noticed the bow thrusters were kicking up a lot of sand and silt so property owner may have been more concerned for beach or seawall erosion.

Actually was more interested in seeing the ship "cleave" Port Everglades. :evilsmile:

Thrusters would do far less damage than the Corps of Engineers when dredging the channel.

There is a thread about this on the Celebrity page, and the OP posted a marinetraffic satellite image of the port, and there is a considerable area of shallows outside the channel (about half a ship length), so since the USCG was notified and determined from the ship's ECDIS system that the ship never left the channel, it was not that close to the house as the video perspective would indicate.

Agreed. The shallows, particularly in front of the Point of Americas II, get churned all the time. I wonder if the people in the video are new homeowners or renters. If this freaked them out, they're in for hella scares when a big storm passes through.

Agreed. The shallows, particularly in front of the Point of Americas II, get churned all the time. I wonder if the people in the video are new homeowners or renters. If this freaked them out, they're in for hella scares when a big storm passes through.

That would be an interesting monthly rent ;)

They were still the channel and were turning the ship. Not an issue. People on board said nothing was noticed.

From some reports there was a fuel leak that required equinox to use a different dock. That is probably why it was turning in a different than normal spot.

The fuel leak was not really a leak.....Let me explain....The night before a tanker truck overturned at or near Pier 18. They had to rearrange where the Equinox was to dock so they could clean the spill from the full tanker. I read about the tanker before this incident with the ship, I think it was Yahoo News, but not positive. Just found the link: PARTIAL QUOTE "The port remained open and operations were not affected, except for Terminal 18. That’s where Celebrity Equinox is docked but the ship is not back yet. When it docks, it will be directed to Port 25." UNQUOTE http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/dania-beach/fl-sb-port-everglades-leak-20170303-story.html

Anyway, watching the video, I think I'd have been scared to death seeing the ship coming at my home.

I also have to say that I am surprised the Harbor Pilot let the ship get that close. I cannot remember any of the HAL ships that use Pier 25 getting that close. But then again, Optical Illusions are different when you are up close and personal:)

Joanie