Formal nights - worth the hassle?

This is all good to hear. I was dreading the formal nights too. We booked all specialty dining to avoid the formal nights. Not interested in glamming it up, we are on vacation. DH wears enough suits for work and doesn't want to do it on vacation. I do agree that RC needs to get rid of the formal nights; strict luggage restrictions make it a burden to pack "special" clothes/shoes. And it sounds like they don't enforce the dress code anyway since it is "suggested" so they should just drop the charade. It's really just silly to have some people in tuxes, some in suits, some in dress shirts, some in ties, some in ball gowns, some in shorts, some in etc........ What the heck?

We've dressed up on some cruises, but that was just to play dress up and take family pictures. On our next cruise, we are skipping formal night in favor of the buffet and extra time at the pool. It's your vacation, find the ways that let you enjoy it the most.

Formal nights were fun the first few times but on our last cruise and the one coming up we will just go to a specialty restaurant or the WJ on formal nights. Leggings/tunics or sundresses are as dressed up as I want to get. Jeans/slacks and a button down shirt are as dressed up as my husband wants to get.

This is all good to hear. I was dreading the formal nights too. We booked all specialty dining to avoid the formal nights. Not interested in glamming it up, we are on vacation. DH wears enough suits for work and doesn't want to do it on vacation. I do agree that RC needs to get rid of the formal nights; strict luggage restrictions make it a burden to pack "special" clothes/shoes. And it sounds like they don't enforce the dress code anyway since it is "suggested" so they should just drop the charade. It's really just silly to have some people in tuxes, some in suits, some in dress shirts, some in ties, some in ball gowns, some in shorts, some in etc........ What the heck?

TBH a lot of men usually discard their jackets early in the night so now I don't bring my suit because we have so many ship photos and meeting the captain was nice in the past but we have moved on from that night and prefer sitting in the DL now.

love sailing with RCCL

I dress like I would for a wedding, or work holiday party (but I do that every night on the cruise)- no formal ball gown or anything ;). On formal nights, Hubby wears a nice dress shirt and dress pants- sometimes a sports coat and tie, sometime not. We have never felt out of place :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

To the cruise lines, with the money they make selling picture on so called formal nights, justifies them continuing Over the years we have seen an increasing number of passengers going to the MDR not dressed formally. We have also seen the number going to the buffet increasing not only on formal nights.

Formal nights were fun the first few times but on our last cruise and the one coming up we will just go to a specialty restaurant or the WJ on formal nights. Leggings/tunics or sundresses are as dressed up as I want to get. Jeans/slacks and a button down shirt are as dressed up as my husband wants to get.

Really you will be fine in a sundress in the dining room. Why go with a buffet when you paid for the main dining room too. There will be everything from to casual to elegant in the dining room. It's not like you'll be out of place.

Our routine for formal nights tends to be nice, Sunday- or-wedding-type, clothes but not suits or formal-length dresses. If it's just me and my husband then we might skip formal night in the MDR and hit the Windjammer, but when cruising with others we usually do go to the MDR. Having said that, we have a cruise planned in October with another couple who DO like to dress up and she's already "warned" me that she has bought 2 new formal dresses for the cruise. So I have to decide whether to bow to the pressure and get a formal dress or stick with my normal cocktail-length dress. I'd say the odds are pretty good I'll stick with my cocktail dress. I'm spending enough money going on a cruise and I can't justify buying a dress that I'm sure I'll never ever wear again.

But there is a definite difference in the clothes in the MDR depending on where the cruise is. In the Caribbean you'll see much more casual clothes, but on our cruise to Norway and Iceland the clothes were much nicer in the MDR. Or maybe it's a difference in mostly-American vs mostly-European cruisers.

Anyway, as everybody else has said you can wear what you want, within reason of course.

But there is a definite difference in the clothes in the MDR depending on where the cruise is. In the Caribbean you'll see much more casual clothes, but on our cruise to Norway and Iceland the clothes were much nicer in the MDR. Or maybe it's a difference in mostly-American vs mostly-European cruisers.

I've definitely noticed this! Many more tuxedos and proper gowns when sailing out of Southampton. Perhaps a bit less so sailing out of Mediterranean ports, but still way more than any Caribbean cruise.

I don't bring a suit or tux, but at least a couple ties. However, on our last cruise we skipped the second formal night. On the first one, I was a bit sunburnt and a tie was just not in the cards for me. I went with a nice button up, open collar and khakis/dress shoes. Two tables over was a guy in shorts and a cut off tshirt so I was more than dressed for the occasion.

My husband wears his Air Force mess dress. I enjoy the memories! The funny thing is he gets mistaken for the Ship Captain and he gets a few groupies for a few seconds and that is just hysterical. Other people thank him for his service and I think he enjoys that! Truthfully, I just love him wearing the uniform again! I think he still looks handsome and it makes me happy. Otherwise, he would wear a jacket. After all, we are their to make ourselves happy!

DH brings a blue blazer, dress shirt, ties and dress slacks for "formal" nights. I bring cocktail dresses.. No more tux and long dresses ( we did the first 2-3 years we cruised, but it's changed drastically since then). DH is a retired US Navy Captain but never brings his mess dress and doesn't want to draw attention to himself that way so that's never been on the table for him. He does however wear his surface warfare wings and one other pin (medal) but they are lapel pin size and only a few who have served notice them.

We still enjoy getting dressed up. For me it's worth the hassle since I never get to wear a gown. We find that over the years people in the MDR don't make as much effort anymore so will try 150 CP on this next cruise in hopes people have made a little more effort. But do whatever you feel comfortable with - as that seems to be the guiding principle. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My girlfriend and I like to dress up [emoji154][emoji156]for formal night. On both formal nights we take lots of pictures from our camera[emoji336] and professional [emoji327], worth it or not we end up buying at least 4.

RCI isn't going to drop the "charade" why would they? Many opt to do a specialty restaurant especially those nights so it's $$$'s for RCI.

My girlfriend and I like to dress up [emoji154][emoji156]for formal night. On both formal nights we take lots of pictures from our camera[emoji336] and professional [emoji327], worth it or not we end up buying at least 4.

Good on you both.It is lovely to see people make the effort and I think it makes everyone feel better in themselves when they are dressed up.

love sailing with RCCL

It's really a personal decision. If you want to dress up do so, if you wan't to be more casual you won't be the only one.

For our cruise this past summer dressing up for formal nights definitely caused me to over pack, but it had been years since we had family pictures and the ones we had taken on board were amazing and absolutely worth the extra suitcase. I have a feeling that on our next cruise I'll let the guys forgo the suits for slacks and ties and save us a little room.

I personally love any excuse to dress up and will continue to over pack for myself in order to do so, lol.

If you do not want to "dress up" for formal nights, a long black skirt or black slacks and a nice blouse can be used instead of a gown. Or, a long sun dress will also work. A jacket and tie or a white turtle neck for men would do.

No need to stress out or carry more clothes.

MARAPRINCE