Port of Miami rental cars

Live to Dream

• 2 months later...

Getting from the airport Alamo to POM was relatively easy. Return car, walk up to shuttle area, show rental paperwork, sit on shuttle.

Coming back had more issues. The pickup area at terminal G is not apparent as some signs continue to direct you away from the actual pickup area. Once I found where the shuttle was supposed to pick me up at, I waited for about 30-40 minutes before calling Alamo. The number on the contract is not the local number so after I got that number and called it, I was told that shuttles come every 15-20 minutes. I pointed out that I had been waiting for longer than that. The representative asked which terminal I was at and confirmed a shuttle was en route. Approximately 10-15 minutes later, I flagged down the empty Alamo shuttle. Ten of us got on, and the driver checked our rental reservations. We did not stop at any other terminal even though four or five ships were docked. It was only a 15 minute drive to the airport so it would seem that the shuttle was told to come get us. I would suggest anyone renting from Alamo and wishing to get a POM pickup, call the airport location number (305-633-6076) if you don't see a shuttle in 15 or so minutes.

Also of note: During my wait at POM, I saw 3-4 Thrifty, 2 Avis and 2 Hertz shuttles do pickups. They all had the short shuttles whereas Alamo had the bus-sized shuttle.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm is Enterprise does in fact still service Port of Miami with a shuttle to and from the airport. Getting off NCL Escape March 24th and looking to rent a car for the day.

Most rental companies will state the shuttle service when booking. Enterprise does not. Do you use location code MIA when booking. Is there a number you call when off the ship? Where are the shuttles located?

My family of 4 is looking at renting a car the day our cruise returns to Miami. Our flight leaves out of Ft Lauderdale that same afternoon but we would rather spend our time sightseeing instead of being bored in the airport. So my questions is I know several MIA car rental companies offers shuttles to and from POM with a booked car rental and you have to show proof of rental to be allowed on the shuttle. Where I am getting confused is how to book those rentals. Can I go to a website like Orbitz ( or something similar) grab the best deal for MIA pick up and still get the shuttle from the port? I just don't want to mess this up. I have never rented a car before so this is very new for me. Any advice on how to make the actual reservations would be so helpful. Our goal is to get the cheapest price possible!

My family of 4 is looking at renting a car the day our cruise returns to Miami. Our flight leaves out of Ft Lauderdale that same afternoon but we would rather spend our time sightseeing instead of being bored in the airport. So my questions is I know several MIA car rental companies offers shuttles to and from POM with a booked car rental and you have to show proof of rental to be allowed on the shuttle. Where I am getting confused is how to book those rentals. Can I go to a website like Orbitz ( or something similar) grab the best deal for MIA pick up and still get the shuttle from the port? I just don't want to mess this up. I have never rented a car before so this is very new for me. Any advice on how to make the actual reservations would be so helpful. Our goal is to get the cheapest price possible!

We usually book from Alamo directly on their website. If you join their Insider, you can get about 10% off or get upgrades. They are one of the car rental companies that have a free shuttle to the airport. There are others but we have only experience with Alamo in Miami.

• 1 month later...

The shuttle info posted earlier in this thread was accurate as of last fall. Car rental rates fluctuate as often or more than airfares -- use your favorite travel web site to compare rates among various agencies, check for discount codes (AAA, Costco, etc.) and book something you can live with; then keep shopping! ;)

You have to go Miami airport.

That's not actually the case. Alamo has an office right at the Intercontinental hotel in downtown. Budget and Avis are around the corner as is Hertz and Sixt. Enterprise has a car downtown in that area as well at the Hyatt.

Though we have 2 cars, we sometimes rent one way or have family that visits and needs to rent. We have used the Alamo, Budget and Hertz location numerous times.

• 4 weeks later...
The rental car companies have shuttles to/from the following dropoff/pickup locations as follows:

Alamo / National / Enterprise (select location code MIA or Miami Airport) - uses the Miami airport location

Thrifty / Dollar (select location code Miami Cruise Ship - Shuttle) - They also use the same counter as the Miami airport location

Hertz (select Miami - Port of Miami) - uses the 229 Southeast 2nd Street location

Budget (location code P2F) - uses the 89 SE 2nd St location

Avis (location code Q8M) - uses the 99 SE 2nd St location

Are these still current? We are hoping to drop off the car before boarding our cruise in August. Though closer to the port, the 2 downtown locations don't have good reviews due to short staff and infrequent shuttles. Some folks mentioned having to call Uber instead. That would not be an option for us as we have a baby and are renting the carseat with the car ss hoping to avoid bringing ours from home.

Are these still current? We are hoping to drop off the car before boarding our cruise in August. Though closer to the port, the 2 downtown locations don't have good reviews due to short staff and infrequent shuttles. Some folks mentioned having to call Uber instead. That would not be an option for us as we have a baby and are renting the carseat with the car ss hoping to avoid bringing ours from home.

I would avoid renting the car seat from the car rental agency. I would bring your own carseat from home. I have ran into issues of reserving a seat and they tell me they are currently out of stock. I would have to find a local store and buy a cheap seat. Talk about being mad and upset! Always bring your own so you know you have it, just my opinion and experience! :)😊

I would avoid renting the car seat from the car rental agency. I would bring your own carseat from home. I have ran into issues of reserving a seat and they tell me they are currently out of stock. I would have to find a local store and buy a cheap seat. Talk about being mad and upset! Always bring your own so you know you have it, just my opinion and experience! :)

Augh... not what I wanted to hear. I know traveling with kids involves more gear. We took the carseat and travel system to Waikiki but hardly used the stroller and walked with her in carrier. Just came back from Japan and only brought carrier as we did trains and big buses. So much easier.

Augh... not what I wanted to hear. I know traveling with kids involves more gear. We took the carseat and travel system to Waikiki but hardly used the stroller and walked with her in carrier. Just came back from Japan and only brought carrier as we did trains and big buses. So much easier.

Like I said do what you feel is best but from my experience it was a nightmare trying to rent from the car rental agency. I would just hate to risk having such a bad experience when you can just bring it. Airlines do a great job accommodating with that type of equipment for babies. It's a pain but might be worth it for the peace of mind 😊

Like I said do what you feel is best but from my experience it was a nightmare trying to rent from the car rental agency. I would just hate to risk having such a bad experience when you can just bring it. Airlines do a great job accommodating with that type of equipment for babies. It's a pain but might be worth it for the peace of mind 😊

Yea I know. Gotta talk to my husband. He hates the stroller. Thanks for the feedback.

• 3 months later...

We are flying in a day early for our cruise and will be staying overnight at the hotel. We want to rent a car at the airport and return at the port or downtown Miami. Any advice as to which location and rental company?

• 1 month later...
We are flying in a day early for our cruise and will be staying overnight at the hotel. We want to rent a car at the airport and return at the port or downtown Miami. Any advice as to which location and rental company?

I was looking to do the same and used "Hotwire" to find a good rate used a "one way" rental with pick up at Miami airport and drop off at Miami downtown. Budget has a location at 89 SE 2nd Street with a free shuttle to the port when you drop off.

• 5 months later...

Are there any recent cruiser care to update this question?  I’m planning on going back from cruise March 31st and renting a car to drive around for a few hours from MIA. Was wondering who still offer free shuttle from POM to the airport. Thanks.