GTY inside

sexyaznboy

First time on Holland America Eurodam and pretty excited! :D

Booked a GTY inside not expecting much, hoping for an upper level inside. Still waiting for assignment two weeks away. Is it still true that the longer the assignments take, the better chance of an upgrade or is this an old wives tale?

Crossing my fingers! :cool:

Is it still true that the longer the assignments take, the better chance of an upgrade or is this an old wives tale?

Near as I can tell from my own experience, it's an old wives tale.

Now, I rarely book a guarantee, but have a few times over the years. The first time I was assigned at around the 10-day range, and was given a slight upgrade from one inside category to a higher category.

The next two times I also got my assignment about the same time frame, and got exactly what I had booked. The last time I was down to very few days before sailing, and got possibly the worst cabin in the category I had booked.

Good luck to you, though. These old wives tales are based on something!

Booked a GTY inside not expecting much, hoping for an upper level inside. Still waiting for assignment two weeks away. Is it still true that the longer the assignments take, the better chance of an upgrade or is this an old wives tale?

One of our best assignments came 1 day before the cruise. We went from an inside to an unobstructed outside. It just depends on the cruise. Most have come between 9-12 days out. Most of them were a slight upgrade, one was from outside to balcony, and one was no upgrade.

No idea how they decide who to upgrade on guarantees I know I got some first few cruises but then none, now for health reasons always pick and stick.

With HAL pushing upsells (paid upgrade) more and more recently, it is my opinion that guarantees are more often getting the inferior cabins (depends on category of course).

Example - on a cruise leaving this weekend, several people on CC have taken upsells from Signature Suites to Neptunes AND they were able to pick their cabins from a list of SAs (most picked cabins near the Neptune Lounge, which many consider to be the superior locations). Thus, anyone who purchased a Neptune suite guarantee will be assigned one of the cabins "left over" after the upsells have picked.

I personally experienced this - I got the prime location SA during my upsell why my friend in a Neptune guarantee got assigned a cabin one deck lower than mine and the Neptune Lounge, even though he paid considerably more for his cabin than I did, all things considered.

We always book a Guarantee Inside stateroom- all we do is sleep, shower and change in there, so I figure why spend the extra $$$?? Have been on HAL since 2005 and have always been happy with our stateroom assignment- one year we did get a "larger" inside stateroom or it seemed that way as the door was on the side wall and the furniture configuration and closets etc. were different. We sail this Saturday on the Eurodam, and NO STATEROOM ASSIGNMENT YET! Or offer of an upsell! I did receive an "important message" email about our cruise today, but it was just announcing that I should visit the cruise planner to pick up my "free gift" and learn how I can save points for another cruise.............I was disappointed!

We always book a Guarantee Inside stateroom- all we do is sleep, shower and change in there, so I figure why spend the extra $$$?? Have been on HAL since 2005 and have always been happy with our stateroom assignment- one year we did get a "larger" inside stateroom or it seemed that way as the door was on the side wall and the furniture configuration and closets etc. were different. We sail this Saturday on the Eurodam, and NO STATEROOM ASSIGNMENT YET! Or offer of an upsell! I did receive an "important message" email about our cruise today, but it was just announcing that I should visit the cruise planner to pick up my "free gift" and learn how I can save points for another cruise.............I was disappointed!

75% of the time we book a guarantee and all but one time we were upgraded from either inside to outside and outside to balcony.

I'm not picky at all about where my room is, because as you say, we only sleep, shower and dress there.

If I were leaving this Saturday and didn't have my stateroom assignment by tomorrow, I'd call and ask if there were any up sells available and if not when they will be assigning my room.

Good luck! I'll be interested to hear how you make out. We are sailing on Eurodam in a guarantee verandah on May 6th.

When I cruise solo, I always get the cheapest inside or outside guarantee. I have been upgraded twice from an inside to an obstructed outside, and also from an obstructed outside to an unobstructed outside. I am booked on the March 22 K-Dam cruise but still have not received any upsell offers or been assigned a cabin. I also spend very little time in my cabin, so whatever I get, I won't be disappointed. Of course, an upgrade from an inside to a cabin with a view is always nice.:D

We sail on Eurodam on Saturday and haven't got our assignment yet either...booked outside guarantee...could be obstructed view at worse! Hoping for upgrade, but since it looks like a sold out cruise, I kind of doubt it! FIngers crossed!

Thanks for everyone's experiences! Still no room yet. Glad to see there are a few GTY fans. I don't mind an inside as it's just to change and sleep, although I have gotten "pity" looks from people I meet on the cruise who couldn't imagine not having a balcony [emoji33] it's all good, I'm on a cruise!! Wooohooo! [emoji41] Will let you guys know what happens. I see only verandahs are available (not sold out) so maybe a chance for an obstructed outside???[emoji847]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for everyone's experiences! Still no room yet. Glad to see there are a few GTY fans. I don't mind an inside as it's just to change and sleep, although I have gotten "pity" looks from people I meet on the cruise who couldn't imagine not having a balcony [emoji33] it's all good, I'm on a cruise!! Wooohooo! [emoji41] Will let you guys know what happens. I see only verandahs are available (not sold out) so maybe a chance for an obstructed outside???[emoji847]

You made me LOL!! We've gotten those same "pity looks"

Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you get a great upgrade! Have fun!

We sail on Eurodam on Saturday and haven't got our assignment yet either...booked outside guarantee...could be obstructed view at worse! Hoping for upgrade, but since it looks like a sold out cruise, I kind of doubt it! FIngers crossed!

Yay! another cruise buddy! I tried to organize a meet and greet, but the Roll Call on here fizzled out! I called HAL yesterday, and they said "within the next 2 days" I have never gotten upgraded to anything other than a larger inside cabin. maybe this is the cruise they will surprise me on! In any case, it is just me and one of my best friends, no kids or husband to worry about and take care of! Pure relaxation! I am ready! and for the $99 pp rate I got, I really don't care where my cabin is!

You made me LOL!! We've gotten those same "pity looks"

Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you get a great upgrade! Have fun!

Thanks for your good wishes! Us insiders are going to have to form a support group:

My name is "XXX" and yes I am ashamed to say I am in an inside cabin :o. I have been mercilessly teased and berated for not getting a balcony cabin. How will I ever show my face in the Main Dining Room??? I shall never leave my cabin for the duration of the cruise :evilsmile:

:')

We have always booked inside guarantees and either ended up with a higher category of inside or an obstructed outside. There was that one time we jumped from inside guarantee to obstructed balcony, but I doubt that'll ever happen again

Time frame has never predicted what I get assigned either ...

Keep thinking of all the money you've saved. Last cruise we booked the lowest inside guarantee and were offered an upsell to an obstructed ocean view for a very reasonable price and we took the spa ocean view for $20 more. The room itself was actually larger than the balcony rooms on the same deck (but no balcony).

Thanks for your good wishes! Us insiders are going to have to form a support group:

My name is "XXX" and yes I am ashamed to say I am in an inside cabin :o. I have been mercilessly teased and berated for not getting a balcony cabin. How will I ever show my face in the Main Dining Room??? I shall never leave my cabin for the duration of the cruise :evilsmile:

lol you're killing me!:')

Just got our assignment!!!! booked GUAR and got I 4072 which is on Upper Promenade. I never tell anyone I am "an Insider"!!!! who knows? maybe I am in the Penthouse!

Just got our assignment!!!! booked GUAR and got I 4072 which is on Upper Promenade. I never tell anyone I am "an Insider"!!!! who knows? maybe I am in the Penthouse!

Congrats on the assignment VT, still awaiting mine, but I cruise on the 25th. The only reason for me to not book a GTY inside is getting a loud cabin under loud areas but I think I am willing to take that chance. I'll just put on some music. I don't think I'll be participating in any cabin crawls as my shoebox of a cabin will get me those pity looks I love so much ;p

With HAL pushing upsells (paid upgrade) more and more recently, it is my opinion that guarantees are more often getting the inferior cabins (depends on category of course).

Example - on a cruise leaving this weekend, several people on CC have taken upsells from Signature Suites to Neptunes AND they were able to pick their cabins from a list of SAs (most picked cabins near the Neptune Lounge, which many consider to be the superior locations). Thus, anyone who purchased a Neptune suite guarantee will be assigned one of the cabins "left over" after the upsells have picked.

I personally experienced this - I got the prime location SA during my upsell why my friend in a Neptune guarantee got assigned a cabin one deck lower than mine and the Neptune Lounge, even though he paid considerably more for his cabin than I did, all things considered.

I know I was surprised when offered an upsell to a Neptune and when my PCC told me what I could choose from, four of the five offered were mere steps from the Neptune Lounge. I figured those staterooms would be long gone.

When we were on the Westerdam two years ago we had booked an inside guaranty. I was offered an upsell to a balcony guarantee (VH) so no opportunity to pick our stateroom...we decided to roll the dice and go for it. I honestly expected to get one of the solid steel verandas and we ended up with a prime location...aft on deck 5 with a super deep balcony and a view of the wake. From the lowest VH guarantee to the best VB location. You just never know how the assignment fairy works.

I booked an obstructed view guarantee and we received an unobstructed one for our cruise last month on the Zuiderdam. It was below the galley, which some people might find objectionable if they like to sleep in. I don't, so it did not bother me.

Still waiting! 6 days until cruise. Maybe I'll end up with a Neptune suite [emoji12] Hoping for a quiet room.

I received my room assignment exactly one week before my Mar 22 Koningsdam cruise. I booked the cheapest inside guarantee (which had a great solo rate) and was upgraded to one of the smaller single cabins which has a window. I am very pleased with that. Keep checking your reservation on the HAL website. I did not receive an email message advising me of the assignment until 24 hrs later. Whatever cabin you get, enjoy your cruise. I still dream about getting a Neptune or any suite. ;)

Thanks so much dot! I also booked the cheapest inside GTY. I've heard some people don't even get assignments until they are at the ship. I am definitely happy I'm on the boat in a week, it's all good. Unless I get a noisy room, which I guess can happen anywhere on board. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always take with me the soft ear plugs you can get at a drug store. I use them on the plane and to fall asleep in hotels and/or ship, although I never have trouble sleeping on a ship. This time my cabin is under the theatre so that should be interesting, although I have read on CC that those cabins are fairly quiet.