Edge - Magic Carpet

Wayneair

Still think that mirrored wall looks suspiciously like a movie screen...

I'm wondering if it might be an LED screen, not for movies, but for projecting different kinds of images and short video clips, kind of like a screensaver. Carnival Vista has something like that in its lobby bar. I would expect X to be a little more classy.

My AppleTV has a screensaver that shows these rather astonishing hi-def flyovers of different land-, sea-, and cityscapes. There's this one of Dubai at night that's completely hypnotic.

Still think that mirrored wall looks suspiciously like a movie screen...

I'm wondering if it might be an LED screen.

IIRC the live reveal said this was designed by Baccarat. They make crystal, not LEDs. There is an outdoor video screen elsewhere on Edge.

I'm interested in the idea of improved tendering experience and the 'sleek launches' mentioned. A pity that the early cruises don't seem to use tender ports so we won't see this in action.

There is potential hopefully to go to smaller ports or closer to the centre of places than currently possible.

I hope for improved lounging chairs on sky suite verandahs, otherwise I am pleasantly surprised and happy with what I have seen so far

I'm interested in the idea of improved tendering experience and the 'sleek launches' mentioned. A pity that the early cruises don't seem to use tender ports so we won't see this in action.

There is potential hopefully to go to smaller ports or closer to the centre of places than currently possible.

I hope for improved lounging chairs on sky suite verandahs, otherwise I am pleasantly surprised and happy with what I have seen so far

I think we will be tendering in Grand Cayman - will be interesting to see if the tendering experience is improved.

I don't understand why the embarkation platform for tenders (magic carpet) would imply that this would allow them to go to smaller ports than present. Can someone explain the thinking behind that?

I like the concept of the "magic carpet." could provide stunning views and another great place to catch a sunset or even a before dinner drink (depending on how windy;p the platform may be).

I also don't mind the design and the pop of color.

Someone else mentioned it but I thought the same thing about easy to move furniture if this area is to be used for easier tendering.

we shall see how this all plays out.

For an idea of the design process that went into the final design for the Magic Carpet watch this youtube video of a presentation made at the reveal event. It starts at the 6:43 minute mark.

Some of the early design ideas were pretty strange!

The Edge FAQs document has a few answers to questions people have asked here about the Magic Carpet noise, privacy, furniture, etc:

38. WILL THE FURNITURE ON THE MAGIC CARPET CHANGE ON EACH DECK?

• The Magic Carpet is designed with comfortable seating, a full bar, and space for live music performances, making it a destination itself.

• Some furniture is fixed, while the environment and experiences will change around it from deck to deck.

39. WHICH DECKS DOES THE MAGIC CARPET VISIT AND WHEN?

• This spectacular space repositions to several decks and transforms into a new and exciting venue depending on which deck it is positioned.

• When the Magic Carpet is positioned above the pool deck on Deck 16, it becomes the ultimate specialty restaurant high in the sky where mouthwatering experiences such as "Dinner on the Edge" are hosted for guests. Get ready for a unique, al fresco culinary journey under the stars that’s sure to satisfy the senses and sense of wonder all at the same time.

• When on Deck 14, Magic Carpet becomes an extension of the expansive relaxing main pool area, the perfect place for breathtaking views, tantalizing libations, and live music.

• When on Deck 5, Magic Carpet extends the ship’s restaurants into the most amazing al fresco seating imaginable for close to 100 guests. Here it creates an intimate, open-air dining experience that will make the fresh ocean fare taste even fresher.

• On Deck 2, Magic Carpet becomes an extension of the Destination Gateway, a new area that becomes a luxury embarkation station.

40. WILL THE MAGIC CARPET BE UNROLLED ON OTHER (NON-EDGE CLASS) SHIPS?

While we have not many any announcements regarding unrolling Magic Carpet on non-Edge Class ships, there are plans to add the venue on other Edge Class ships.

41. WILL WE HAVE A SCHEDULE OF THE MOVEMENT OF THE MAGIC CARPET?

The Magic Carpet will visit various decks throughout the voyage including Deck 2 during tender operation; Deck 14 as an extension of the Resort Deck on sea days and Deck 5 for al fresco dining. On occasion, the Magic Carpet will be positioned on Deck 16, just above the pool deck, for special "Dinner on the Edge" events. A schedule of Magic Carpet’s positioning will be published daily for guests.

42. WILL PEOPLE ON THE MAGIC CARPET BE ABLE TO LOOK INTO MY ROOM AS THEY PASS BY?

• Guests cannot be on the Magic Carpet when it repositions.

• There are shades in the staterooms

43. NOISE: WILL THERE BE ANY TYPE OF NOISE FROM THE MOVEMENT OF THE MAGIC CARPET THAT WILL INTERRUPT THE GUEST EXPERIENCE?

Because the Magic Carpet is mechanically operated, there is some noise, however, our naval architects have taken every precaution in the design to minimize any noise.

44. HOW SOUNDPROOF ARE THE CATEGORY STATEROOMS THAT ARE IN THAT AREA?

We have a high standard soundproofing ratio for all our staterooms and suites, in which these staterooms comply. While there may be minimal noise from movement, the Magic Carpet will only reposition a few times throughout the day.

45. CAN SERVICE ANIMALS PERMITTED TO BOARD THE MAGIC CARPET?

The Magic Carpet is an extension of various venues including the pool deck, specialty restaurant, and tendering on deck 2, therefore; service dogs are permitted on the Magic Carpet.

46. WHAT IS THE CAPACITY OF THE MAGIC CARPET?

100 people

47. HOW WILL THE DESTINATION GATEWAY CHANGE THE GUEST EXPERIENCE?

• This is a modern, multi-purpose area that brings the destination to life.

• When the Magic Carpet is positioned at Destination Gateway, it serves as a comfortable and welcoming environment that leads to the Edge Launches for luxurious transportation ashore.

• The Destination Gateway immerses guests in their next destination with highlights of the port of call displayed on large LCD screens.

• This area provides a seamless transition off and on the ship

I like the answer, "there are shades in the staterooms".

I will be interested in how the deck 5 position for dinner works. It would seem to me to be a little windy! And maybe even a little wet.

I chuckled about the "there are shades in the staterooms" answer. When the MC is on deck 5 as an al fresco restaurant, will the balconies on deck 6 be obstructed while it is there (not sure how tall it is) and will people need to close the shades (the S3 and a few cabins to each side of the track)? Not sure how many, if any, balcony views will be affected when the MC is parked there. It would be kind of interesting to have a front row seat of all the MC action and maybe the bartender would hand you a drink on your balcony. :D

I chuckled about the "there are shades in the staterooms" answer. When the MC is on deck 5 as an al fresco restaurant, will the balconies on deck 6 be obstructed while it is there (not sure how tall it is) and will people need to close the shades (the S3 and a few cabins to each side of the track)? Not sure how many, if any, balcony views will be affected when the MC is parked there. It would be kind of interesting to have a front row seat of all the MC action and maybe the bartender would hand you a drink on your balcony. :D

That is called "dinner and a show"

The name is throwing me off, it sounds like something that should be on a Disney ship.

Perhaps the gave it such a Disney-like name (the name even of a ride at Disney World) because they think people will associate with safe?

I wonder if anyone in Celebrity is aware of the Magic Carpet "Ride." Guess they weren't around in the 60's smoking whatever came their way......;p. Check this out:

That should be the MC theme song!

E mail today had this description which is much like what was posted above...reminds me of a big freight elevator..ha ha We are the freight..seems like alot of moving of furniture will be required of staff!

"Prepare yourself for some of the best views aboard as you soar over the open ocean on the Magic Carpet. The highlight of our outward-facing vision, this incredible engineering feat is the world’s first cantilevered, floating platform that reaches heights of 13 stories above sea level.

The Magic Carpet is designed with comfortable seating, a full bar, and space for live music performances, so it truly is a destination itself on Celebrity Edge. But depending on the positioning, its mood and function changes—providing exciting new venues, incredible visual perspectives, and a distinct experience on every deck it visits.

At the very top of the ship, the Magic Carpet becomes an extraordinary venue high in the sky where we host mouthwatering experiences such as Dinner on the Edge. Down to Deck 14, the Magic Carpet becomes a stunning extension of the main pool area, while on Deck 5, it serves as an unforgettable, open-air dining experience. Then at the bottom on Deck 2, the Magic Carpet becomes an extension of modern luxury at The Destination Gateway"

Just checked, and our Jan 2019 itin (the Eastern) does not have any tender ports.

Wondering if the Big Orange will still be moved up and down for its other purposes.

Does the other itin. (Western) .have any tender ports?

Just checked, and our Jan 2019 itin (the Eastern) does not have any tender ports.

Wondering if the Big Orange will still be moved up and down for its other purposes.

Does the other itin. (Western) .have any tender ports?

Yes, the W. Caribbean stops at Grand Cayman which is a tender port.

cruiserke;52640882']Yes' date=' the W. Caribbean stops at Grand Cayman which is a tender port.[/quote']

That will be very interesting to hear about...we have given up tendering in most ports, esp GC...We hope Celeb is correct in saying the new gadget will improve the experience..they have certainly put alot of effort into it.

• 4 weeks later...

If our itin does not have tender ports, will we board and disembark as usual. Or will a " new " berth design in FLL somehow involve the gateway area..???

Seems like alot of investment on the gateway space, bigger tenders, and the Big Elevator...

If our itin does not have tender ports, will we board and disembark as usual. Or will a " new " berth design in FLL somehow involve the gateway area..???

Seems like alot of investment on the gateway space, bigger tenders, and the Big Elevator...

Sounds like the Destination Gateway will be used for various purposes, including money makers such as shore excursion talks, Art auctions, conference space, etc., but also sounds like it might be a nice area for special events.

From the FAQs Sheet:

"Destination Gateway is a modern, multi-purpose area that brings the destination to life. When the Magic Carpet is positioned here, Destination Gateway serves as a comfortable and welcoming environment that leads to the Edge Launches for easy and effortless transportation ashore. Destination Gateway will immerse guests in their next destination, with highlights of the port of call displayed on large LCD screens. Together, Destination Gateway, Magic Carpet, and the Edge Launches make for a seamless transition off and on the ship.

When not in use for tendering ashore, Destination Gateway is a learning and activity center where destination enrichment talks, Celebrity Shore Excursion information sessions, and more are hosted. Business groups and corporate incentive groups can also utilize this space as a modern, state-of-the-art conference room for meetings and presentations.

DESIGNED BY

The transformational Destination Gateway was designed by renowned German design talent 3deluxe.

FAST FACTS/FEATURES

• Destination Gateway Total Square Footage: 1,784 sq. ft.

• When Destination Gateway is not being used for tendering operations, the multi-functional space transforms into different pop-up experiences, including:

o Daytime Programming includes Destination Immersion, Regional Bazaar Trunk Shows, Art Auctions and Cocktail Receptions

• Interactive tables in Destination Gateway offer a way for guests to inform themselves individually of the upcoming destinations, research shore excursion options, and learn more about the ship, all of the different venues onboard, and any upcoming events"

The launches/lifeboats look nice, but there are only 8, so not quite enough to take all the passengers in the case of abandoning the ship (would hold 1784 people - 8 X 223). They describe them as having improved survivability - I certainly hope that we are assigned to one of those ;).

"Edge Launches ensure guests experience modern luxury every step of the way – right up to their first step ashore. The newly designed Launches on Celebrity Edge are designed with overall safety and guest comfort at the top of mind through improved reliability and survivability, notably increased comfort, and efficient boarding. The ship-to- shore experience is improved by the spacious, stylish and

comfortable yacht-like atmosphere of the new boats, which will bring guests ashore in comfort, style, and speed. When anchored, the Magic Carpet hovers just above the waterline for the best ship-to-shore experience at sea; guests will find themselves smoothly whisked onto Celebrity’s new, reimagined Edge Launches with ease.

DESIGNED BY

The spacious Celebrity Launches were designed by French yacht designer Marc Lombard and lifeboat manufacturer Palfinger Marine Safety AS.

FAST FACTS/FEATURES

• Total Number of Celebrity Launches on Celebrity Edge: 8

• Celebrity Launch Cabin Area: 829 sq. ft.

• Celebrity Launch Total Length: 57 ft.

• Celebrity Launch Beam: 19 ft.

• Celebrity Launch Total Weight: 26/36 tons (equipped/loaded)

• Seating Capacity: 223/132 guests (lifeboat/launch)

• Maximum Cruising Speed: 15 knots

• Window Area: 398 sq. ft. – more than double compared to standard tenders on Celebrity Equinox

• Seat Pitch: 32 in – 20% more space compared to standard tenders on Celebrity Equinox"

We are looking forward to tendering at Grand Cayman, just to see what the experience is like.