Port Everglades plans $75 million terminal upgrade to handle Celebrity Edge

mahdnc

Looks good but our main concern is handicapped parking. I am hoping there is sufficient parking for those who need to be closer to the buildings. We have sailed out of the old 25 and it was fine when it was in the Zenith era but NOT when we sailed a few years ago. Just horrible. Now looks like a brand new experience but, again, having so many more handicapped spaces closer to the port would be so gratifying for those who cannot do those distances with wheelchairs, electric chairs and walkers.

Looking forward to seeing what transpires before we sail next January.

Pat C

WOW! That looks like a parking garage right across from the terminal? Hope that's the case. This terminal was horrible! Looking good now.

That is the midport parking garage which has been there for as long as I can remember and is between terminals 19 & 21. You access it by crossing the roadway from terminals 25 & 26. When X started using the old terminal 23/24 as their arrivals/baggage hall it could be quite a schlep, especially with bags and traffic.

The area to the right (north) of terminal 25 in the renderings replaces terminal 23/24 with a vastly improved ground transportation center and road network (most likely shared by terminals 21 & 25) for pickups/drop offs via taxi, bus, private vehicles, etc. it is not a parking lot.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Okay.. i hope now it´s bigger...

On the left side you can see a parking area i think... on the right side there is a drop off area...

terminal25mouic.png

That small parking lot to the left of the terminal has always been there. It's not for long term passenger parking. Staff that work in the terminals park there.

There will not be a new parking garage. You will continue to park across the street in the mid-port parking garage. You can either take a shuttle to the terminal or just walk. It's a very short walk.

Here is an arial view of the terminal in its current state, with the small parking lot just to the south of the terminal.

26821399998_7cec73f883_h.jpg

WOW...looks great. Big upgrade. Can't wait.

Glad this thread is active again....

The new EDGE terminal will no doubt generate lots of posts and interest as it develops.

PS..Maybe moderators can move the swimming pool/ lap pool discussion to a sep thread, Interesting but off topic here.,.

It looks fantastic. I love that so many cruise lines are really upgrading the terminal experience. It is your first impression. NCL and Royal are both building spectacular game changing terminals at PortMiami. They will truly add to the Miami skyline. MSC just did a major revamp of Terminal F there as well. Princess just completely upgraded Terminal 2 at Port Everglades, and now Celebrity with this. Of course we also have Royal’s Terminal 18 for the Oasis Class which really raised the bar I think. It’s not an architectural masterpiece but it’s a study in efficiency.

• 2 weeks later...
It looks fantastic. I love that so many cruise lines are really upgrading the terminal experience. It is your first impression. NCL and Royal are both building spectacular game changing terminals at PortMiami. They will truly add to the Miami skyline. MSC just did a major revamp of Terminal F there as well. Princess just completely upgraded Terminal 2 at Port Everglades, and now Celebrity with this. Of course we also have Royal’s Terminal 18 for the Oasis Class which really raised the bar I think. It’s not an architectural masterpiece but it’s a study in efficiency.

Thank for the rendering as it looks awesome

I think what we are seeing is the maturing of the cruise industry. As they try and entice more new customers to choose a cruise over a land vacation (or their peers in the cruise industry) the entire experience from curb to cabin and back becomes more important to the branding and image of the company. When customers have a positive experience from first to last it makes them more likely to choose that brand in future. Building new, custom designed, ultra modern facilities allows them to totally control that experience in their largest turn around ports.

Also imagine those departing on other ships that have used old, dated terminals seeing these beautiful new buildings with an X or RCCL or NCL vessel parked outside..... The hope is that the customer will say "WOW! Next time I want to sail on that line!"

Looking forward to upgraded terminals.

We usually drive to the port so parking and getting ourselves and luggage to the check in point is a big concern. We do luggage walk off, so same applies for disembarkation.

Hope the new placement eliminates the need for shuttles, circling around and long walks.. most anything should be an improvement.

Looking forward to upgraded terminals.

We usually drive to the port so parking and getting ourselves and luggage to the check in point is a big concern. We do luggage walk off, so same applies for disembarkation.

Hope the new placement eliminates the need for shuttles, circling around and long walks.. most anything should be an improvement.

The new Celebrity Terminal will still use the Mid-Port Garage as always, the physical location of Terminal 25 does not change. Celebrity currently use terminal 22/24 at the end of the pier for disembarkation customs/baggage claim - that goes away with the rebuild and BOTH embarkation and disembarkation customs/baggage claim will take place in the new Terminal 25. Terminal 22/24 gets completely torn down and replaced with a new pick-up/drop-off area (see the above illustrations). Theoretically this should make the walk to/from the Midport Garage shorter - particularly for disembarking passengers. Hopefully they will improve sidewalk access to the midport Garage from Terminal 25 or build an elevated walkway to cross Eller Drive, which would help with traffic flow.

• 3 weeks later...

I found another interior picture of the terminal (at least it was labeled as such).

Could it be a private waiting area, such as for suites?

enhance

This is the one I've seen before (was in one of the attachments on this thread):

enhance

When is the schedule completion date for this terminal and will it be completed by November 2018 and will it be fully operational to handle parking, passengers and The Edge cruise ship?

Edited by cruise47

When is the schedule completion date for this terminal and will it be completed by November 2018 and will it be fully operational to handle parking, passengers and The Edge cruise ship?

We are assuming it will ve ready for EDGE...whenever the first cruises start,

Parking without the need to take a shuttle bus or a long walk to the check in point is our main interest.. A fancy waiting area not that much a priority as we have usually been very lucky to board soon after arrival and check in.

Best ever was the terminal closest to the FLL Convention Center,,,...we parked in a paved lot right in front of the terminal. Walked around to the side of the building...went thru security and check in and went right on board Connie We have also enjoyed parking midport and walking right across to the termunal usually used by Royal but shared by X on days Royal did not berth there...Easy breezy,,.

Worst ever have been recent trips from FLL where we had to loop through to drop luggage off in a traffic madhouse, then re loop to parking garage and then re loop again in a shuttle back to the terminal. Hope those days are over! We'll find out on EDGE.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
OK Terminal Upgrade announced mid March 2018. How can a $75 million Construction upgrade happen in less than a year?:* And this is a local gov't project? I will be prepared for inconvenience while we board in Dec 2018

Article is dated March 2017 not 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums