Just enjoying the cruise with no excursions??

Sandi07054

Hello alli have been looking into an Alaska cruise out of Seattle June or July 2018 with Glacier Bay. We Really like having a balcony.Between the cruise price close to $5,000 with tax etc and the airfare from NJ at least $1,000 for two, plus we would stay in Seattle 2 nights so we could at least spend a full day, this is quite a pricey trip.

My question is could we still enjoy our cruise without booking any excursions???

My husband really wants to go!!

Thanks for your help

My question is could we still enjoy our cruise without booking any excursions???

Of course you can. This is your cruise. This is your life. No one should tell you how to "enjoy" anything.:)

You'll be able to take advantage of all the activities that occur on board that I missed, for one.

[quote=Sandi07054;52571951.

Thanks for your help

You can definitely enjoy the cruise! Alaska is beautiful, and there is so much to see while sailing and at each stop. Walking around the cities is a wonderful way to spend your time without spending a lot of money. Ketchikan has a walking self-tour: http://www.experienceketchikan.com/ketchikan-walking-tour.html

So does Skagway: http://skagway.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/walkingtourmap.pdf. I would imagine any other stop on your cruise will have the same.

Enjoy!

You could definitely enjoy it with no excursions. But my suggestion is to figure out what you could do low-cost wise to do/see things. Rent a car? Hike? Visit a museum, beer factory, hatchery, etc.? There is so much to do in each port and many of those options are very low budget options. It would be a shame to just sit on the ship during port time or just walk through the very commercial shopping areas near where the ships dock in each port.

Hi guys, will be goin to Alaska in May, an am wonderin the same thing. My roommate on this cruise, has been to Alaska several times, an at the moment, she's says she's just gonna wander around the ports. Its a 9 day cruise on the Radiance, with 6 ports, the 3 ports are the usual ones, Icy Strait, Haines & Sitka are the others. For me, Icy strait & Haines have been to once, an have never been to Sitka.

Virginia

Yes, you can. It is your cruise. On our last cruise, as a family we did 1 excursion & in the other 2 places tried to be very frugal.

Beware, you will hear, "That is a long way to travel to not see anything beyond the towns/coasts & that you can save a lot by "staying on the ship in the Caribbean."

Our next cruise will be a mix again, excursions in some ports with just walking around/ or frugal options in the others.

(We are using "miles" to pay for pre-post hotels, car rentals, & part of the airfare to off set how much we have to spend out of pocket.)

Because excursions (whether private or through the cruise line) are so expensive in Alaska, I began researching low-cost things we could do on our upcoming cruise. Using online resources and Alaska cruise port guidebooks that I found in my local library, I found a TON of things we could for free or next-to-free, including walking tours by the National Park Service rangers, museums and hiking trails.

If so inclined, you could use the same resources to find similar things that appeal particularly to you. But for an idea of some of the things I found, look at my post (#5) on the following link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2471997

I'm a newbie, and intend to take my first cruise soon,to AK- at first,reading the boards here,I was a little disheartened by all the advice to 'just go for it, it'll be worth it,you have to experience all of it' etc - well, for us, this is a budget trip- an 'extra' trip in our year,and my goal is to see what we can see while saving as much as possible. This means, for us, we are looking forward to a fabulous week on a ship with great food, and in the ports we are planning on walking and hiking as much as possible to get the feel of the places we're visiting. IS it the same as the flyplane excursions,etc? Nope- but it's gonna be really cool,and in our budget! So I'm glad you posted the question,b/c I plan to keep things very budget also.

Skagway, Ketchikan, and Juneau are all very explorable on your own. Juneau we have been to 3x and have done a shore excursion once. Skagway has the Klondike Gold Rush national historic park which is connected to the one in Seattle. I would suggest going to the Seattle one before leaving, and then visit the Skagway part when you get there.

There are no cost and low cost options at every port. Look at town web sites for ideas. Borrow Alaska travel guides from your library .

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2347988&highlight=resources

While some people have expensive excursions at every port, most people budget for 1 excursion, then do budget activities at the others. Look at past trip reports for first hand recommendations and photos.

Ketchikan. There are maps for self guided walking tours .... the boardwalks. Married Mans Trail, fish ladder. Take a $2 city bus out to Totem Bight to enjoy the totems then walk thru the rainforest to the water. Visit the Southeast Discovery Center in town

Juneau. $30 pp RT shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier.

Skagway. The Klondike Goldrush NP in Skagway is free and offers ranger led hikes. Then take the city bus to the edge of town to visit the Goldrush Cemetary. At the edge of the cemetary is a trail to Lower Reid Falls

For Sitka and a relatively inexpensive day, we went to Fortress of the Bear and the Raptor center.. we caught a bus from the city centre where the ship's coach drops ppl. off...very good day!

http://www.fortressofthebear.org/

https://alaskaraptor.org/contact-us/

Hi guys, will be goin to Alaska in May, an am wonderin the same thing. My roommate on this cruise, has been to Alaska several times, an at the moment, she's says she's just gonna wander around the ports. Its a 9 day cruise on the Radiance, with 6 ports, the 3 ports are the usual ones, Icy Strait, Haines & Sitka are the others. For me, Icy strait & Haines have been to once, an have never been to Sitka.

Virginia

Thank you all so much for your comments and all the information. I can't wait to read everything you all sent me. I am definitely going to be booking a trip next year - now just have to decide on the line. I'm really thinking more towards Princess.

I knew I could get the answers I was looking for on these boards.

Thanks again!!!!

We will be on our first cruise to Alaska this summer, on Princess. I've been planning for a year - sometimes that's as much fun as the cruise itself. Whatever you do, I'm sure it will be a memorable trip! :)

There is plenty to see and do in Alaska. this post initially is a little misleading, since I would never, "just enjoy the ship" on an Alaska itinerary. I think it important to spend time doing "something" at your port stops. The ship is only half the trip. :)

I'd suggest- head to your library, numerous Alaska travel books to look at, especially good are the Port's of Call Books, eg with Fodor's and Frommer's. look at every port's visitor web site, they all have them. Take advantage of the National Parks at Skagway and Sitka.

Enjoy Alaska.

My priority is to book inside and skip Seattle to spend more money on excursions in Alaska. But seeing bears and wildlife is my priority along with glaciers.

But it's your cruise and only you know what is a priority. Look at photos and forums in Trip Advisor and these forums and determine your priorities. Everyone has a different budget. And there's lots of ideas to go either way. Enjoy your trip!

SveaGirl and I had this discussion just the other day. We have not booked any excursions for June cruise and probably won't. We figure we will likely be cruising Alaska fairly often now that we live near Seattle and for us the cruise/ship plus the scenery are enough. We've already experienced good success using the city bus service in Juneau so plan to use it for Glacier Gardens and DIPAC on our own. Even Mendenhall Glacier visitor center is reachable with a short walk on a paved path from the city bus stop. We considered a whale watching excursion then nixed it in favor of taking our chances from the ship. Thought too about Misty Fjords boat tour but then she decided that walking Creek Street was enough at Ketchikan. Sitka visiting the Russian Bishop's House will be enough. Another factor for no excursions is no rush to get off the ship - you'll have it to yourself mostly. Leisurely breakfast is nice. Spa specials can be had on port days.

Pretty consistent responses that there are certainly things to do in port without spending a ton of money on excursions. However, after looking at all of the possibilities for excursions, I think another option is getting an ocean view or inside and being able to experience the most you can out of Alaska.

It’s nice to be able to stroll around the port towns for a couple hours but most the ports lost their small town Alaska charm 20 years ago. At the very least, car rentals are cheap for the amount of things you can do and see. You really need to spend some time away from the communities you stop in.

For Sitka and a relatively inexpensive day, we went to Fortress of the Bear and the Raptor center.. we caught a bus from the city centre where the ship's coach drops ppl. off...very good day!

http://www.fortressofthebear.org/

https://alaskaraptor.org/contact-us/

If I might ask, how long was the bus ride to Fortress of the Bear?

My priority is to book inside and skip Seattle to spend more money on excursions in Alaska. But seeing bears and wildlife is my priority along with glaciers.

But it's your cruise and only you know what is a priority. Look at photos and forums in Trip Advisor and these forums and determine your priorities. Everyone has a different budget. And there's lots of ideas to go either way. Enjoy your trip!

I never skimp on my tours, they are the reason, I go to Alaska so frequently. There are all kinds of travelers. I don't know what it's like to have to make some of these decisions on touring that some on this board have. I do what I want- today. :) Very fortunate to be able to do so.

What is most important- is to be true to yourself with no regrets. :)

You'll find there are more people than you might think without having money issues involved who had rather do things in the port areas than go on actual excursions. :)

Yes, there are many. When there are multiple ships in port there can be thousands of people that stay close to port milling around town. Just depends on what you want out of your Alaska experience. That's just another reason to get out of town for us.

Virginia

Guess, I better also ad, I will be going if the good Lord is willing & the creeks don't rise!!

Hello alli have been looking into an Alaska cruise out of Seattle June or July 2018 with Glacier Bay. We Really like having a balcony.Between the cruise price close to $5,000 with tax etc and the airfare from NJ at least $1,000 for two, plus we would stay in Seattle 2 nights so we could at least spend a full day, this is quite a pricey trip.

Thanks for your help

I would hate to spend that much money to get to Alaska and then not do any excursions! It would be like missing Alaska after spending all the money to get there.

I would skip a balcony over skipping excursions. Or if a balcony is that important, wait another year to go or plan to save up more money between now and then.

IMO - the best of Alaska is getting out of the port towns. I know so many who just walk off the ship and complain that Alaska is all about tourist type jewelry and t-shirt shops.

Alaska is stunning - but in most cases, you need to get out of the port towns to see it. For me, no, I would not enjoy Alaska if I didn't book any excursions.

I'm someone who would be happy never leaving the ship, so I would give you a resounding "Yes!" The other nice thing about an Alaska cruise is that the port cities are beautiful and walkable. You could have a lovely time either just surveying the scenery of the port from the ship or enjoying a self-guided walking tour. I've found maps and suggested walking tours for Skagway and Ketchikan on their city websites.

Enjoy your trip!