Passport question for port days

sopier

If you ever cruise on an upscale or luxury cruise line, as well as certain itineraries on mass market lines you will have to get used to not taking your passport on your person while ashore because the ship will be holding your passport.

Very TRUE.

We once cruised for 31 days and they took our passports, which we never saw again until we had to claim them the day before the cruise ended.

That was the worst part of the entire cruise as it was not organized. The wait was.

Last summer 2 friends and I cruised Europe. We are all experienced travellers. One friend wanted the security of having her passport with her. Unfortunately despite being cautious and aware her purse containing her passport and phone was stolen at the Trevi Fountain. We tried to file police reports (5 stations could care less), visit Consulates/Embassies where possible (very few on the Riviera), all to no avail. Fortunately we had decided to each store photos of our 3 passports in our phones. While trying to fly home from Barcelona we were (amazingly) able to sweet talk our way through Customs and Immigration with just phone photos of her ID.

Last summer 2 friends and I cruised Europe. We are all experienced travellers. One friend wanted the security of having her passport with her. Unfortunately despite being cautious and aware her purse containing her passport and phone was stolen at the Trevi Fountain. We tried to file police reports (5 stations could care less), visit Consulates/Embassies where possible (very few on the Riviera), all to no avail. Fortunately we had decided to each store photos of our 3 passports in our phones. While trying to fly home from Barcelona we were (amazingly) able to sweet talk our way through Customs and Immigration with just phone photos of her ID.

This is my thought process. I know 100% I will attempt to get through customs/immigration at the end of my trip with my passport. I know there's a less than 1% chance I'll miss the boat and need to get through customs/immigration from my port day. I'd rather leave my passport in they safety of my cabin safe for the way home and deal w what happens if I get stuck in port w just a picture of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think, objectively, the chances of losing your passport or having it stolen in port are higher than your chances of missing the boat. I mean, someone probably gets pickpocketed or has their bag snatched on every port stop, it's just that the whole ship doesn't necessarily hear about it.

But obviously everyone should be doing their best to avoid getting robbed and to avoid missing the ship, and if you are 100% successful at both (which is most people, most of the time), then it really doesn't matter what you do with your passport. If it makes you anxious to carry your passport around, leave it on board. If it makes you uncomfortable to be in a foreign port without your passport, take it with you. (If you feel worried and scared no matter what you do, maybe reconsider your travel plans :cool:)

In the past I've confirmed this by asking ship's officers on a few cruise lines, but I can't say whether it is done on all cruise lines and even on all ships of any particular cruise line.

By the way, it's very common for upscale and luxury cruise lines to collect all passengers' passports at embarkation and hold them for the duration of the cruise, returning them only in ports where you need to carry your passport or at the completion of the cruise. Even mass market cruise lines will collect and hold passengers' passports on certain itineraries where they have to be reviewed by local authorities very early in the morning when the ship docks. Once you've traveled on luxury lines or sailed itineraries where the cruise line has to hold your passport you quickly let go of the idea that you need to carry your passport with you while ashore.

this is not accurate with your "certain itinerary" claim. South America is one place where passports are collected. I have NO Problem going to guest services, and getting my passport, then return it to them when I return. I found this out, after about 4 trips it could be done. This is one place I want that passport, which now, with 8 trips there, is my routine. Heading back there this week and doing the same routine.

Very TRUE.

We once cruised for 31 days and they took our passports, which we never saw again until we had to claim them the day before the cruise ended.

That was the worst part of the entire cruise as it was not organized. The wait was.

You could have had your passport. I already posted, I go to the Guest Services, and get my passport. I have done this on 2 cruise lines, at least 4 times, will be doing the same thing again, with the cruise I get on Friday.

It took someone I know a week to get a replacement passport in Brazil a couple years ago.

But... if you miss the ship, the standard practice (from what I understand) is for someone to go to your room and find your passport and leave it with the port authority. So hopefully, if you ever do get stranded, you will be fine.

There are ports like Nassau where there are always dozens and dozens of runners after all-aboard time (and sometimes after sailing time). And some never make it from the bar back to the ship before it leaves. NCL uses the furthest dock from land and you can see the runners start their panicked run all the way from security check at festival hall. The ship's crew is not going through dozens and dozens of rooms searching for secret hiding placings for passports, nor are they packing the belongings of those guests who feel that all aboard times are just "suggestions". For those who get left behind, the ship just leaves. The room stewards have the night to clear out the passenger's belongings (and maybe find the secret hiding places) before morning turnover.

i have never had a cruise line collect my passport and hold onto it. that being said, when we were returning to the ship at St Thomas (which is US virgin Island), they had two lines- 1 for US citizens which you had to prove (and drivers license didn't count) and 1 line for everyone else (which included US citizens who only had their cruise card). if you had your passport (or passport card which is what I used) & ship card, they waived you right through. everyone else, they checked the cruise card with the photo on it to see that it matched your face and against a stack that was the manifest. only time i have ever been asked for my passport in port before. always been asked for my ship card and often another form of photo ID. But I just use the passport card. less likely to be stolen and I can take it in the water with me and not worry.

this is not accurate with your "certain itinerary" claim. South America is one place where passports are collected. I have NO Problem going to guest services, and getting my passport, then return it to them when I return. I found this out, after about 4 trips it could be done. This is one place I want that passport, which now, with 8 trips there, is my routine. Heading back there this week and doing the same routine.

My statement certainly is accurate. You're citing one example, South America cruises on unnamed cruise line(s). Have you sailed every possible itinerary on every cruise line?

I've read somewhere here (on my phone, so I can't search) that if you don't return to the ship, they leave the contents of your safe with the shore agent. So, even if you leave your passport on the ship you'll have access to it. PLEASE RESEARCH THIS. I'm no expert and am only reposting what I've read here.

--Michael

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I was told by the Staff Captain on the NCL Pearl that they do NOT do this.

In his words, "what would happen if we left your passport on shore and you were actually on the ship and it was just a computer issue"

It does happen that the system says you are not on the ship when you are. That is why they page people who are "missing".

For them to leave your passport with the post agent, you would have to know you are not making it back to the ship, get in touch with the ship, tell them exactly where your passport is and request that they leave it with the port agent.

Lois

I was told by the Staff Captain on the NCL Pearl that they do NOT do this.

In his words, "what would happen if we left your passport on shore and you were actually on the ship and it was just a computer issue"

It does happen that the system says you are not on the ship when you are. That is why they page people who are "missing".

For them to leave your passport with the post agent, you would have to know you are not making it back to the ship, get in touch with the ship, tell them exactly where your passport is and request that they leave it with the port agent.

I have been told this directly from staff on Jewel and Star as well.

People have a tendency to simply repeat what they read here and eventually it becomes gospel. Folks who are concerned with this process should speak directly to officers on their sailing for clarification.

My statement certainly is accurate. You're citing one example, South America cruises on unnamed cruise line(s). Have you sailed every possible itinerary on every cruise line?

Your post, seems to imply you can not get your passport, since it is "collected" by the cruise line on "certain" itineraries. That is what is I am clarifying, that is not accurate. My "example" is an area where the passports are collected, which you mention. My experience is from 8 cruises on two different lines. Was able to get my passport with both lines.

• 3 months later...
I set up Mobile Passport app. If it is sufficient for CBP, wouldn't it be better than a paper copy of your pasdport?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

No, I don't think so. It's for speedier processing by USCBP when you're returning to the US . It's unlikely anyone in a foreign port will have the slightest idea of what it is. The app transmits data to CBP when you're in the airport .

Edited by njhorseman

Hello to you cruise experts! :)

To get off or on the ship if I am not mistaken you need to show your passport. Would a photocopy of your passport be valid if we don't want to take our passports out of the safe to go on shore?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Sophie

Your drivers ID is enough.

Although it is not accepted at that many places of re-entry MOBILE PASSPORT may soon eliminate the need to have a passport when entering the U.S.A. Just allow the hour or so for your phone to verify your information and check you out then just flash your phone to the agent on arrival..

bosco