SeaWitch IPA on Ruby?

Georgie562

Some think its good beer. My wife and I are used to good beer so it's a disappointment to us. We "may" have some on our next two cruises as we have the complimentary AIBP and we have actually had Sea Witch beer at the BOGO a time or two but it's certainly not something we would pay regular price for. It's closer to actual beer than most of the stuff onboard but still not what I would classify as "good" beer.

Hi

can someone tell me if they serve the SeaWitch IPA on the Ruby? Is it on select ships only?

Is it a pretty good tasting beer?

I love IPA and drink a lot of craft IPA throughout the Pacific Northwest. Actually working on a 10 Barrel "Joe" IPA right now. Was disappointed in the SeaWitch.

Everyone has different tastes, but I enjoyed the SeaWitch beers on Princess. We were on the Regal Princess from Feb. 12-26 last month and I was asking about the SeaWitch beers and was told Princess discontinued them on the Regal. I'm not sure if they have been discontinued fleet wide though.

Off on the Crown in June. Not cruised with Princess since they brought SeaWitch IPA out. Was so looking forward to trying a decent beer. Oh well...will still give it a bash. You never know, I may be one of the few that like it. Love the Alaskan beers. Was on Celebrity Millennium last October around Japan, they had tonnes left from their season in Alaska. A few days into the cruise they were permanently put on BOGOF. Saved an absolute fortune on beer. A couple of the waiters put a load aside for me as I was the only person drinking it...

Last week on Royal, bar supervisor said the Seawitch beer was all expired and they dumped it all out. He said it didn't sell. No word on if they will brew it again.
Also last week, but on Regal. I asked for a Seawitch beer to try it out (thanks AIBP!) and the bartender said they had discontinued it and are no longer available.

I'm picky about beer. I thought the Seawitch beers were AWFUL. I won't drink them. I wish they would bring back Alaskan Brewing Company beers on Alaska sailings. I will drink those.

I will drink it but I'm not an IPA fan in general. But I agree that I wish they would bring back the Alaska beers. At least I can buy the Alaska beers here in Houston.:beer-toast:

Very entry level quality IPA... It had a flat bitterness that wasn't at all refreshing like a good IPA. I've heard the Denali Red was better but haven't been on a ship that had it to try it.

Princess really does not have a great selection of beer at all. We were on the Oasis in August and I was much more satisfied with their beer selection in the Globe and Atlas Pub.

Carnival has Sierra Nevada Pale Ale which was the beer that steered me towards IPAs long ago.

The Sea Witch idea was exciting at first but sadly it was a major fail... I hope they do not think that "craft beer" will never be a success on their ships because of this. Hell even if there was a small selection of Sam Adams which is pretty much commercial at this point I'd be happy.

Very entry level quality IPA... It had a flat bitterness that wasn't at all refreshing like a good IPA. I've heard the Denali Red was better but haven't been on a ship that had it to try it.

Princess really does not have a great selection of beer at all. We were on the Oasis in August and I was much more satisfied with their beer selection in the Globe and Atlas Pub.

Carnival has Sierra Nevada Pale Ale which was the beer that steered me towards IPAs long ago.

The Sea Witch idea was exciting at first but sadly it was a major fail... I hope they do not think that "craft beer" will never be a success on their ships because of this. Hell even if there was a small selection of Sam Adams which is pretty much commercial at this point I'd be happy.

Kind of strange as the Pale Ale isn't an IPA by any stretch of the imagination! Sierra Nevada is made here in my home town and, while we drink a lot of their beer, we only drink Pale Ale if there isn't anything else where we happen to be. It's definitely not one of their best beers. They have 4 Way IPA 12 packs on sale right now in the stores. 4 different types of IPA. The German IPA is my favorite of that offering.

Like others, we love IPA but don't like the Sea Witch stuff.

Princess was/is lacking in the beer department. I was looking forward to trying all 3 of the Seawitch options next week especially the IPA. Didn't have high hopes based on the Untappd ratings and comments/reviews (3.46 average for the IPA and Red and 3.36 for the Blonde) but will still try them all since I have the AIBP. The IPA is made by Strike brewing, the red by Denali and the blonde by Shipyard.

I hope they don't take this as a failed experiment and scrap the craft beer idea altogether.

Kind of strange as the Pale Ale isn't an IPA by any stretch of the imagination! Sierra Nevada is made here in my home town and, while we drink a lot of their beer, we only drink Pale Ale if there isn't anything else where we happen to be. It's definitely not one of their best beers. They have 4 Way IPA 12 packs on sale right now in the stores. 4 different types of IPA. The German IPA is my favorite of that offering.

Like others, we love IPA but don't like the Sea Witch stuff.

Correct, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale isn't technically an IPA... and I didn't say it was. It does however have a mild hop flavor that introduced me (and probably a lot of people) to the taste of hops back when Miller Lite was my beer of choice. I'll keep an eye out for the 12 pack, I just got through my Bell's HopSlam and Troeg's Nugget Nector that I grabbed back in February.

Correct, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale isn't technically an IPA... and I didn't say it was. It does however have a mild hop flavor that introduced me (and probably a lot of people) to the taste of hops back when Miller Lite was my beer of choice. I'll keep an eye out for the 12 pack, I just got through my Bell's HopSlam and Troeg's Nugget Nector that I grabbed back in February.

Heh... It did make a bit of a splash in a world of Miller Lite, Coors, Budweiser, etc. where they seem to kind of wave a hop flower over the top of 50,000 gallons of "beer" and call it good. My wife always thought she hated beer until I started making my own. She discovered that she actually loves beer but just doesn't like the stuff that was sold in the US. These days we make a practice of checking out the local brew pubs wherever we travel. There was some truly excellent beer being made in Talkeetna when we visited Alaska again last year. I'm glad that a local product was your "gateway drug" to better beer. :) There are so many good ones out there now but it's hard to try them as they are mostly only available locally. Obviously we just need to travel more!

Heh... It did make a bit of a splash in a world of Miller Lite, Coors, Budweiser, etc. where they seem to kind of wave a hop flower over the top of 50,000 gallons of "beer" and call it good. My wife always thought she hated beer until I started making my own. She discovered that she actually loves beer but just doesn't like the stuff that was sold in the US. These days we make a practice of checking out the local brew pubs wherever we travel. There was some truly excellent beer being made in Talkeetna when we visited Alaska again last year. I'm glad that a local product was your "gateway drug" to better beer. :) There are so many good ones out there now but it's hard to try them as they are mostly only available locally. Obviously we just need to travel more!

I converted 7-8 years ago and I still grab a Pale Ale when the selection is lacking. Unfortunately with good beer comes the "good beer" belly.... Session IPAs to the rescue! There are brew pubs popping up all over the place in Pittsburgh now.... Brew Gentlemen, Voodoo, East End.... A few really great brew fests a few times a year and we recently did a brew party where we brewed two 5 gal batches of our own beer and bottled a few weeks later. Nothing better than fresh brew. :cool: