LIVE ("lite") Explorer - 3/26 - 4/9

Travelcat2

Wes, I am thrilled to learn of this. I don't care which carrier you use. (Well, yes, there are major differences.!!!) But you WILL NOT regret including South Georgia. There we walked amidst a half million penguins. We were all speechless. They nest their babies there. The parents take turns swimming out to sea to capture fish to feed them. They walk into this sea of live babies and parents and find there own chick. Will feed only there own chick. The penguins have no natural fear of humans so they approach us with curiosity. I mean this literally, we were all so moved we did not talk. We have never had nor will we ever have a more memorable experience cruising. You made the right decision.

Miles, so long as you're holding Jackie to the facts, let's not exaggerate what's on Crystal's corporate agenda. The fact is, Crystal is not currently building two new Ocean liners. I truly wish they were, because I think their answer to the Seven Seas Explorer would probably be worth a try. But as we all know, and have endlessly remarked upon, the current completion date is about 5 years off, so I'm pretty sure there's no shipyard on this planet cutting or welding even the smallest piece of steel for a Crystal ocean liner. And considering that the 2022 date is anything but firm, who really knows when we'll ever see a new Crystal ship? And if their hotels and jets and yacht ventures don't perform, the revenue stream might not justify any new liner construction for years, if ever.

Having sailed on both Regent and Crystal, let's be honest, Crystal's cabins are embarrassingly small, more akin to mass market cruise lines than the luxury segment, and not particularly well appointed. I have no doubt that the dry dock for both the Serenity and Symphony will add luxury suites which will reduce the number of staterooms, since everyone is doing it these days, but unless they gut each ship entirely, I think those small cabins are going to be around for a very long time.

And, once again, after having sailed on both lines, the dining on Regent is in another class entirely. I felt it was akin to a top of the line gourmet restaurant, whereas Crystal was very good high end cruise ship food.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm home and also looking forward to Bill's posts. Looking forward to sitting back and vicariously traveling with Bill and his family. There was a start to what may be a heatwave in London and Barcelona so the weather for Explorer may be beautiful!