Trans-Atlantic Flight -- Updated what to wear?

cruisemom42

Ooh, I like the look of that Prana wrap. Nice find. Reading the reviews on the Prana site, it may be a tad light for this particular trip but I am very tempted to get one. I can always use it for travel during warmer months.... (And thanks 6rugrats for the discount tip -- at that price, worth trying it!)

Ooh, I like the look of that Prana wrap. Nice find. Reading the reviews on the Prana site, it may be a tad light for this particular trip but I am very tempted to get one. I can always use it for travel during warmer months.... (And thanks 6rugrats for the discount tip -- at that price, worth trying it!)

You can always return it if it doesn't work.

My pleasure. I run on the warm side, so I usually have light weight jackets.

I like that ruffle on the back - a little sassy..

Last time I flew to Europe I wore

-J.Crew black pants, like a modern skinny type pant

-Grey Cole Haan zerogrands (the most amazing shoe ever for Europe)

-Black/white striped top from J.Crew

-Grey J.Crew blazer. I like blazers because of all the pockets. I take the blazer off once we get to our seats

-Pashmina in case I am cold on the flight

Last time I flew to Europe I wore

-J.Crew black pants, like a modern skinny type pant

-Grey Cole Haan zerogrands (the most amazing shoe ever for Europe)

-Black/white striped top from J.Crew

-Grey J.Crew blazer. I like blazers because of all the pockets. I take the blazer off once we get to our seats

-Pashmina in case I am cold on the flight

Which zerogrands do you have?

I got the black ballet flat -- it's good (better than your average flat) but certainly could not walk in it all day...)

For my layering piece I ended up ordering the Prana wrap in off-white and in charcoal. Probably will keep both if I like it.

I am still keeping an eye out for something by EF in merino. Since winter is over, I'm seeing some good deals on E-bay.

I just ordered this in red [ETA eileen fisher merino cardigan]- probably too long for you (OP) but I've been looking for a new red cardigan for a while. Probably not for travel (I tend to use cobalt & turquoise as my accents for travel, though sometimes I'll choose red....)

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Eileen-Fisher-Merino-Jersey-Long-Cardigan/prod197190450/p.prod

Which zerogrands do you have?

I got the black ballet flat -- it's good (better than your average flat) but certainly could not walk in it all day...)

I will attach the link. I am OBSESSED with them. I wore them all over Paris (miles and miles). When I went to the store to buy them the guy told me the pair I was buying was the number 1 best seller in the history of Cole Haan. Worth EVERY penny. My husband even got the mens pair in the "dress shoe" style, he can get away with them at work in a suit. His profession requires him to wear a suit but also be able to run at anytime, perfect option!

Mine:

http://www.colehaan.com/zerogrand-wingtip-oxford-ironstone-suede/D44059.html?dwvar_D44059_color=Ironstone%20Suede&dwvar_D44059_width=

My husbands:

http://www.colehaan.com/zerogrand-wingtip-oxford-black-black/C20719.html?dwvar_C20719_color=Black-black&dwvar_C20719_width=

bummed.

Looked at that discount site to buy the Georgia Wrap (I might be able to get away with it at work in the summer instead of a suit jacket). None in my size (damn that big bust and swimmer's shoulders).

Let me know what you think of it - I will buy it full-price on Prana.

I will attach the link. I am OBSESSED with them. I wore them all over Paris (miles and miles). When I went to the store to buy them the guy told me the pair I was buying was the number 1 best seller in the history of Cole Haan. Worth EVERY penny. My husband even got the mens pair in the "dress shoe" style, he can get away with them at work in a suit. His profession requires him to wear a suit but also be able to run at anytime, perfect option!

Mine:

http://www.colehaan.com/zerogrand-wingtip-oxford-ironstone-suede/D44059.html?dwvar_D44059_color=Ironstone%20Suede&dwvar_D44059_width=

My husbands:

http://www.colehaan.com/zerogrand-wingtip-oxford-black-black/C20719.html?dwvar_C20719_color=Black-black&dwvar_C20719_width=

Well with such a great recommendation had to try and 'find' some - and I am in Canada - lo and behold was able to order the oxfords and some runners as well at The Bay - being shipped to me....but as luck would have it went shopping today at Winners (e.g. Marshall's) and there was a lovely PINK suede pair of the oxfords- so I tried on the size I ordered and alas they did not fit well on my flat feet :( ....they are somewhat 'unstructured/soft' and I was not getting the support I needed....

I shall return those and hope the 'runners' I also ordered fit better??? http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/thebay/shoes/womens-shoes/zerogrand-perforated-sneakers-0600088948701--24

Do you wear them with socks? If so, what weight sock? They really are pretty.

Thanks! They come in lots of colors too! At the Cole Haan store when they were fitting me they recommended a very thin liner, which they provided just to add a little extra so it hit at the right spot on my ankle, if that makes sense? This was to prevent any rubbing/blisters. I really appreciated they took the time to fit me and provide the free little insert. Because of this, when I am running around town locally I do not wear socks. I feel like the little insert sort of soaks up any sweat and I can replace that (sorry, gross, I know). However, when wearing them for miles and miles in France I did wear little ped like socks. The same little socks I wear in my flats and loafers. Super thin and small, the kind you cannot see.

Hope this helps :)

Well with such a great recommendation had to try and 'find' some - and I am in Canada - lo and behold was able to order the oxfords and some runners as well at The Bay - being shipped to me....but as luck would have it went shopping today at Winners (e.g. Marshall's) and there was a lovely PINK suede pair of the oxfords- so I tried on the size I ordered and alas they did not fit well on my flat feet :( ....they are somewhat 'unstructured/soft' and I was not getting the support I needed....

I shall return those and hope the 'runners' I also ordered fit better??? http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/thebay/shoes/womens-shoes/zerogrand-perforated-sneakers-0600088948701--24

That is awesome you found a pair on sale, sorry they did not fit :( I was just telling a poster above, at the Cole Haan store they will "fit" you and provide a free little insert if needed. I really appreciated this step they took. They had me walk around the store etc. The little insert did just the trick! My husband has the leather ones, I think they are more sturdy. Also, the runner style you just posted. That was the newest version when I was buying mine and the sales associate was RAVING about them. She said they were better than the ones I got! I think that style is the newest technology. Good luck!!!

If you like the zerogrands, check out dsw on line. Not a huge selection, but some for under $60.00 using the sale code.

https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/zero-grand-nubuck-oxford/390720?cm_mmc=CSE-_-GPS-_-G_Shopping_Evening%20&%20Wedding-_-New_Evening&Wedding&cadevice=t

Free shipping and use code nojoke for additional money off.

Edited by 6rugrats

If you like the zerogrands, check out dsw on line. Not a huge selection, but some for under $60.00 using the sale code.

https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/zero-grand-nubuck-oxford/390720?cm_mmc=CSE-_-GPS-_-G_Shopping_Evening%20&%20Wedding-_-New_Evening&Wedding&cadevice=t

Free shipping and use code nojoke for additional money off.

Dang. I'm losing all around here. I thought these might be good for a work shoe, just based on the comments. But, the glaring white sole is a big "no" for work. If it were black, I maybe could get away with it...

Slidergirl, they do make some zerogrands with the black soles but I'm guessing they are more popular and probably don't make it to DSW....

I am still awaiting my cardis...

6rugrats, you are great with the sites and coupons.... I just parted with some more of my money on the DSW site.

I've been all about the JJill Wearever Slim Leg pants in black for travel lately. I add a black lightweight but long or 3/4 length sleeve tunic in a cotton or blend (Eileen Fisher, JJill, or a Calvin Klein top that is soo soft that I found on sale last fall), and slip on shoes. I don't usually wear a scarf with it as they get all twisted up while I try to sleep, but I do usually take a large, colorful pashmina that doubles as a blanket.

I also bring a pair of "fuzzy" socks to put on my feet while I sleep in my hand luggage.

Slidergirl, they do make some zerogrands with the black soles but I'm guessing they are more popular and probably don't make it to DSW....

I am still awaiting my cardis...

6rugrats, you are great with the sites and coupons.... I just parted with some more of my money on the DSW site.

I went to the CH site and saw that they make them with black soles, but right now they are full price. I'd have to make a choice between them and a new pair of Dansko XP Pros ($130) - can't afford both for work. If one was on sale, I could swing it. I'll have to see if I can find a store down in the City that carries CH and try them on...

Gilt (that'd be gilt dot com) has Cole Haan shoes on sale today. Might be worth having a look for any of you who can wear Cole Haan shoes.

Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, no zerogrand black/black there. There was a 2.0zerogrand, but it is still over $200...

YESSSSSS!

Decided I had to buy the Danskos today - the heels on my current ones are really sloped due to wearing them 5/days/week for 2 years. Got on backcountry.com to buy them (it's a local company and they will do free fast local shipping). Well, there was a special today for a 20% discount on the highest-priced item, so I got my clogs for a great price. I decided to stretch my luck and look at the Prana offerings. Well, what did I see but the Georgia Wrap in Charcoal in my size for $39!!!!!

Happy camper here - new work shoes AND a new travel wrap for the price of the shoes alone! Love the Goat!!!

Agree about the white sole for not being appropriate for work..

It TOTALLY depends on where you work, what you do, dress codes & context. White soles would be absolutely fine for my job - I'm in business casual or sometimes more casual, academic research. I never wear a suit. I wear birkenstocks to work much of the summer (with nicely pedicured toes, of course;p)

Shoes for work? Where does it say white soles are not appropriate in the work place? My work place is casual and living

in Florida, most of the gals wear sandals (all the time).....white, black, red, cork, blue, pick a color.............

I also think it depends on the work place.......