As a Carnival Passenger..Would you donate to help save the Long Beach Queen Mary?

Lil2Angelic

As a Carnival Passenger..Would you donate to help save the Long Beach Queen Mary?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. As a Carnival Passenger..Would you donate to help save the Long Beach Queen Mary?

• Yes
    • No

There are many ships that are museums and are maintained. These non-profits can do it, why can a for profit not? Personally, I feel that the SSUS is a more historical landmark in the US than the QM is (perhaps it would be better received in the UK). But the things that make the SSUS unique and historic are its interior (long gone due to it being made from asbestos), and its power plant, which is now a rusting pile of steel, so I don't feel that even this ship is worthy of restoration. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses when things have gone too far.

Any idea how it would be possible that the ship would need in excess of $ 300 million in repairs? Seems rather excessive.

Yes, it was fascinating! We had so much fun. Stayed a couple nights and probably could have stayed at least one more. Did you guys have any strange experiences while you were aboard?

We heard about the ghosts but didnt come across any.

Cruising out of Long Beach this coming fall but dont think we will stay there again. Goes under been there/done that.

My company pulled out of the QM when it became obvious that a dollar would never be made there. The company running it now wants to build a "Village" in the existing parking lot that will be a gauntlet for cruise passengers to run past touristy businesses. When the engine room floods I predict that the company will scrap the ship and build a water front hotel (their real intention for the site) that will pay homage to the QM by outfitting a few rooms with architectural scrap from the QM suites and dining room, and perhaps even the bridge. Parking for cruise passengers will be moved to an off site location and shuttles used to bring folk's to the dome. An additional pier will be added for more cruise ships to dock, perhaps Princess or another CCL brand might tie up there to take advantage of the lucrative West Coast market.

It all depends on how much the city wants to invest in the infrastructure to make the site profitable for Carnival and the developer operating the QM now. It will take a billion dollars to do it right. We will need to wait on the city to come up with the project cash to have a world class ocean terminal or remain a poor man's dock cobbled together from past failed enterprises.

I personally feel that Long Beach politicians have always had short arms and low pockets when it came to big water front projects.

As for donating money to save the Queen? There are charities that would make better use of your contribution.

We're going to check out Mesquite in a couple of weeks. :)

Mesquite is nice. Haven't been there is awhile but I know they were building lots of new homes out there. Our pool contractor is doing big business out there with the home builders.

If you haven't been to the Dallas area in a while, the traffic is getting terrible. Everything and everyone is being pushed farther and farther out. I haven't been out that way lately, but Frisco is a nightmare now.

Husband and I are thinking about retirement options outside of California. Nevada is on our short list, but so is Florida and Texas. We're going to check out Mesquite in a couple of weeks. :)

Sorry Fryee..thought you meant Mesquite, Nevada

My company pulled out of the QM when it became obvious that a dollar would never be made there. The company running it now wants to build a "Village" in the existing parking lot that will be a gauntlet for cruise passengers to run past touristy businesses. When the engine room floods I predict that the company will scrap the ship and build a water front hotel (their real intention for the site) that will pay homage to the QM by outfitting a few rooms with architectural scrap from the QM suites and dining room, and perhaps even the bridge. Parking for cruise passengers will be moved to an off site location and shuttles used to bring folk's to the dome. An additional pier will be added for more cruise ships to dock, perhaps Princess or another CCL brand might tie up there to take advantage of the lucrative West Coast market.

It all depends on how much the city wants to invest in the infrastructure to make the site profitable for Carnival and the developer operating the QM now. It will take a billion dollars to do it right. We will need to wait on the city to come up with the project cash to have a world class ocean terminal or remain a poor man's dock cobbled together from past failed enterprises.

I personally feel that Long Beach politicians have always had short arms and low pockets when it came to big water front projects.

As for donating money to save the Queen? There are charities that would make better use of your contribution.

Thank you for your input!

Any idea how it would be possible that the ship would need in excess of $ 300 million in repairs? Seems rather excessive.

Depends on how much of the hull needs to be replaced' date=' or whether they plan to install a concrete filled cofferdam around the hull, but this would all require opening the dyke around it to move materials in, etc. It probably also needs HVAC renovation.

However, from the ever-trustworthy Wiki, this description of the upgrade is for $250 million:

"In 2016 Urban Commons, a real estate company, assumed the lease of the Queen Mary. They revealed plans to extensively renovate the liner over the next year, and to redevelop the adjacent 45 acres of parking with a boutique hotel, restaurants, a marina, an amphitheater, jogging trails, bike paths, and possibly a huge Ferris wheel, all at a cost of up to $250 million."

So, the price tag, from the also ever-trustworthy Mail, may not all be for the ship.

Not me. If it were to be taken over by the state for a historical preservation not a business maybe. The ship is beautiful but the expense to fix up is to expensive and rests on the owner. 300 million is a big sum for what appears to be a money pit. I feel the ship is doomed for the scrap heap. Another part of history lost because of neglecting maintenance for 50 years.

I agree besides why doesn't Carnival corp sink the money into the cost of the repairs. They have the money.

Gary

My addiction to cruising began as a teenager when I visited the RMS Queen Mary in New York prior to a trans-Atlantic sailing. Many years later, I enjoyed a one night stay at Hotel Queen Mary in Long Beach. Yes, I would make a small donation to help preserve her. I would also hope that the good people of the UK would chip in as well.

Should Carnival Corporation invest sums into her? No, she does not serve the business interests of the Corporation.

I agree with other comments about other ships that are worthy of money for their preservation. There are even WW II naval vessels sunk in the Pacific that ought to be so considered as well.

Preserving history ought to be more important than I think it sometimes is.

Depends on how much of the hull needs to be replaced, or whether they plan to install a concrete filled cofferdam around the hull, but this would all require opening the dyke around it to move materials in, etc. It probably also needs HVAC renovation.

However, from the ever-trustworthy Wiki, this description of the upgrade is for $250 million:

"In 2016 Urban Commons, a real estate company, assumed the lease of the Queen Mary. They revealed plans to extensively renovate the liner over the next year, and to redevelop the adjacent 45 acres of parking with a boutique hotel, restaurants, a marina, an amphitheater, jogging trails, bike paths, and possibly a huge Ferris wheel, all at a cost of up to $250 million."

So, the price tag, from the also ever-trustworthy Mail, may not all be for the ship.

thanks for the info.

No My reason Look at ccl profits last year.. Maybe they could open the piggy bank

As a stockholder think that would be a terrible misuse of their funds, better to put the money toward buying a new ship and increase profits.

Just because they might have the money foolish to spend it on something that will not increase their profits

Not me. I don't know how many times "The Queen" has been in and out of bankruptcy. If the city wants to chip in fine, but she's a losing battle. The ship is a great date night ship, but the bar is expensive and the cabins are dated with many "fix-it" problems. Some things just have to go away if they can't pull their weight.

Not me. I don't know how many times "The Queen" has been in and out of bankruptcy. If the city wants to chip in fine, but she's a losing battle. The ship is a great date night ship, but the bar is expensive and the cabins are dated with many "fix-it" problems. Some things just have to go away if they can't pull their weight.

Funny, that's what my DW says about me. When I can't pull by weight she is gong to put this old dawg to sleep!

:halo:

I would definitely! I live in LA and this ship is such a gem! I've stayed on it twice and done several tours throughout the years. If you believe in ghosts and such - she is EXTREMELY haunted. So many stories. What I love most about her is the feeling like I've stepped back in time aboard Titanic - please save her!

I would definitely! I live in LA and this ship is such a gem! I've stayed on it twice and done several tours throughout the years. If you believe in ghosts and such - she is EXTREMELY haunted. So many stories. What I love most about her is the feeling like I've stepped back in time aboard Titanic - please save her!

Before long I think she will be like the Titanic in another way.:eek:

:)