Shorts now part of the casual dress code

Glad to see the shorts allowed. My biggest gripe about cruising was having to change into pants for dinner and then pretty much immediately go change again back into shorts. Dress shorts and a nice shirt should have been totally acceptable and apparently now it will be.

I will not be wearing a tank top...

More blowback from the new room service charge. You're about to see some people in the MDR that you never suspected were on board (and you'll wish they weren't) and it is going to be so bad that the attire guidelines had to be modified.

The kids club's new programming is going to consist of nothing but "where's my pants" on a loop on the TV.

Showtime in the main theater is similar... nothing but showing "Oww my _____" playing on a loop.

Welcome to the new RCCL... a chance to live the movie Idiocracy... for a week on the high seas.

I just hope you don't get sick and end up in the infirmary... I hear they have a habit of getting the two probes confused.

We are opposed to the casual changes in the MDR' date='

Soon Royal will be as "classy" as Carnival.

Royal, please reconsider.[/quote']

Actually, carnival has a "classier" dress code now. No t-shirts, no tank tops -- collared shirt required:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/what-to-wear---evenings

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

• Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

?..but tank tops? In the MDR? I'm sure there will be some "nice" and "dressy" styles, but no thank you.

It's all very subjective. What's the difference in what a dressy tank top shows and what a strapless or halter dress would show on a woman?

If I saw a woman worth a dressy tank and formal pants that wouldn't bother me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Glad to see the shorts allowed. My biggest gripe about cruising was having to change into pants for dinner and then pretty much immediately go change again back into shorts. Dress shorts and a nice shirt should have been totally acceptable and apparently now it will be.

I will not be wearing a tank top...

Exactly says the hubby!! :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Sort of back to the question ...

Is it now OK to wear nice shorts to the MDR on non-formal nights?

Probably OK on formal nights too. I don't see why they would start enforcing anything now. They might for a few months, but eventually they will give up.

Although I'm a traditionalist, I'm OK with the change. My only concern is that with the "rules" now loosened, people will continue to push the envelope.

Example: "No swimsuits in the MDR? Why not? It's my vacation, I'll dress how I want! Besides, it's the Caribbean and it's hot out. Society's changing...no one wants those stuffy rules. Anyway, how can you let what someone else wears affect your enjoyment of dinner? Just live and let live."

All of the arguments previously advanced to allow shorts in the MDR equally support allowing swimsuits in the MDR.

Well said!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let's just keep this between us...

I don't intend to tell my family anything! I enjoy that we all make the effort to get dressed up and dine together. We live in a very small town and really don't get any opportunities for this experience unless we are on a cruise.

Ssshhhh [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let's just keep this between us...

I don't intend to tell my family anything! I enjoy that we all make the effort to get dressed up and dine together. We live in a very small town and really don't get any opportunities for this experience unless we are on a cruise.

Ssshhhh [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wont tell if you wont

Also on RC website:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

Dinner attire...

Meals in the main dining room follow this schedule:

Note: Chart is not co-operating.

Cruise Length Casual~ Smart~Formal

3-night

4-night

5-night

6-night

7-night

The number of smart casual and formal nights is at the ship's discretion.

Note: *Some 12-night European cruises may have 3 formal nights

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Suggested Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gif*Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gif*Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Edited by destiny217

Also on RC website:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

Dinner attire...

Meals in the main dining room follow this schedule:

Note: Chart is not co-operating.

Cruise Length Casual~ Smart~Formal

3-night

4-night

5-night

6-night

7-night

The number of smart casual and formal nights is at the ship's discretion.

Note: *Some 12-night European cruises may have 3 formal nights

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Suggested Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gif*Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gif*Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Unfortunately Royal does not regularly delete old information on their website after they add new information.

Actually, carnival has a "classier" dress code now. No t-shirts, no tank tops -- collared shirt required:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/what-to-wear---evenings

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

• Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Yes, but that's not the clothing I've seen worn of Carnival...

ah.. THAT would explain why our Late Feb. sailing on Liberty had shorts almost every night in the MDR (and also some tank tops).

strangely, they enforced "no tank tops" at breakfast in MDR tho. . . (they made a few folks we saw go get cover-ups before allowing them to be seated)

You got me. It does relate to the MDR. But blatantly obvious? No it wasn't. I thought it was referring to venues such as shows, bars, etc. around the ship.

P.S. You don't have to be such a jerk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Very classy with the P.S. I don't appreciate your name calling and I won't stoop as low. This isn't the website for that. I was more surprised someone read this and didn't immediately relate it to the MDR when it is, in reality, very obvious and I don't know why you took it so harshly.

you all need to find new cruise lines if you think it is ok to wear shorts or it is a hassle to put on a pair of slacks to go eat dinner. I am so glad i don't cruise on royal caribbean.

Sent from my iphone using forums

choice!

What's the difference in what a dressy tank top shows and what a strapless or halter dress would show on a woman?

If I saw a woman worth a dressy tank and formal pants that wouldn't bother me.

Unfortunately I was referring to the men! It's a running joke on CC that when shorts were not permitted, people would ask if "nice" or "dressy" shorts would be ok for dinner? I expect the same thing will now happen for men and teenage boys in tank tops.

Unfortunately I was referring to the men! It's a running joke on CC that when shorts were not permitted, people would ask if "nice" or "dressy" shorts would be ok for dinner? I expect the same thing will now happen for men and teenage boys in tank tops.

You forget to mention the "smart" shorts.;)

for the record I have never worn shorts in the dining room. But I don't think its all that bad, guys can wear a nice golf shirt and shorts. Nobody really seems your legs anyways unless when your coming or going. I don't think I would wear a tank top though