Shorts now part of the casual dress code

If you want to wear shorts and a T then go to Windjammer or Johnny Rockets. Come on people get some class.

Be concerned about yourself. I don't wear shorts but don't look down upon people who do. Let's face it, the food anymore doesn't warrant the pretense of fine dining

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Time for a little levity. On one of my cruises, we were sat at a table for eight. Us and a fighting couple from California arrived first. Next came two women and one man. The guy was the perfect example of what not to wear. Cutoff blue jean shorts, flip flops, a cotton undershirt with no sleeves, and to top it off, a baseball cap worn backwards. He then proceeded to order the ribs and eat them with his hands, occasionally wiping his hands on his denim shorts. The other male in this group made it to the dining room but never found the table, so our dinner companions would occasionally yell "Bob" when they thought they had spotted him.

After that first night, the only people to eat at that table were the fighting couple from California. We watched from our new table for two upstairs.

Be concerned about yourself. I don't wear shorts but don't look down upon people who do. Let's face it, the food anymore doesn't warrant the pretense of fine dining

It isn't about looking down on anyone. And it isn't about a 'pretense of fine dining'. It's about looking decent at dinner in a dining room.

And I have no problems with casual. But there is a line...

If you want to wear shorts and a T then go to Windjammer or Johnny Rockets. Come on people get some class.
Unfortunately, it has become acceptable to lower rules and standards to meet the lowest common denominator. We can only hope that common sense will prevail, and that class, etiquette, and manners will return.

It isn't about looking down on anyone. And it isn't about a 'pretense of fine dining'. It's about looking decent at dinner in a dining room.

And I have no problems with casual. But there is a line...

Why does someone else's shorts and t shirt affect your meal? And if it doesn't why should you care? Why look down on people? Why judge people?

Unfortunately' date=' it has become acceptable to lower rules and standards to meet the lowest common denominator. We can only hope that common sense will prevail, and that class, etiquette, and manners will return.[/quote']

"Class" and "etiquette". Artificial ways to separate people so some can feel superior.

I think that people are discussing the issue of men being able to wear tank tops in the MDR. If they are allowed, they will wear them. Nothing about "how someone's traits are wired": it's easy and it's vacation and it's allowed. Boom. Bad fashion while I'm eating my soup.

I sincerely doubt it. It's the same as people who say "I've always dressed up, I will continue to do so" That is their hard wired traits. They're still allowed to exercise choice, and they do. They don't go for the minimum. Might some do so just because they can? Perhaps. But generally speaking. most people are hard wired a certain way and tweaks to increasing options/reducing minimums isn't going to change what they do.

Why does someone else's shorts and t shirt affect your meal?

Here's why. If I go to a nice restaurant, there is an expectation that partrons will dress the part. If I as a patron do dress the part and others do not, it takes away from the experience.

Outside of a cruise, if I go to a place that has a certain level of "class" I do my best to behave and dress in a classy manner. Not only for my benefit, but in an effort to not negatively impact those around me.

Unlike some, I do consider how my choices and behaviors impact others. It's not all about me.

Edited by Sascol
Spelling

Here's why. If I go to a nice restaurant, there is an expectation that partrons will dress the part. If I as a patron do dress the part and others do not, it takes away from the experience.

Outside of a cruise, if I go to a place that has a certain level of "class" I do my best to behave and dress in a classy manner. Not only for my benefit, but in an effort to not negatively impact those around me.

Unlike some, I do consider how my choices and behaviors impact others. It's not all about me.

Curious where do you live? Because nice shorts/polos/button up short sleeves are very common place in Palm Beach where I am and accepted at 99% of places.

"Class" and "etiquette". Artificial ways to separate people so some can feel superior.

Absolutely, 100% untrue. Class and etiquette have nothing to do with being superior. They show that one has respect for the situation and the environment they are in. I have class and etiquette when the situation calls for it (nice restaurant). This does not mean I sit on my hands like a stooge and act like a prude at a ballgame, for example. Just depends on the situation.

Curious where do you live? Because nice shorts/polos/button up short sleeves are very common place in Palm Beach where I am and accepted at 99% of places.

NC. And to be fair, it will depend on the venue. Shorts at TGI Fridays? Sure. Ruth's Chris? No way. Some do, but it's just not appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Amen to that. Pretentious bs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NC. And to be fair, it will depend on the venue. Shorts at TGI Fridays? Sure. Ruth's Chris? No way. Some do, but it's just not appropriate.

I live in the desert southwest; let me assure you that it is completely appropriate. I work in a field that puts me in proximity to some extraordinarily moneyed dealmakers. Million+++ deals go down in shorts and polos as often as they do in ties and often in some very posh dining establishments or they build relationships and camaraderie over junk food at the ballpark. I'm pretty sure none of those folks would be caught dead in a tux on RCI. They'll be wearing evidence of their successes all right, but it will be the quality and design of their tanks and not some pretentious tuxes/gowns on a ship. And most that I've had the pleasure of working with would never stoop to calling anyone else out on their attire. Those people, the ones with real class, never belittle the people around them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also live in NC. I see people wearing "nice" shorts and polo shirts in restaurants. And yes the idea of "class" is an artificial creation so some can feel superior. As to etiquette, I don't care which fork you use, which hand you eat with and whether you are wearing shorts or a suit. It's more than that that makes a person.