Shorts now part of the casual dress code

OK I guess I'm gonna jump in here against my better judgement...because we've never followed the SUGGESTIONS printed on RCCL site. They are not a policy, never were. The only thing ever enforced, if it was, was "No swim suits with coverups and must wear shoes". I never noticed anyone in a tank in the MDR, but I don't normally pay attention to anyone else's attire, its just not on my radar. The rest were always SUGGESTED attire.

We are not sloppy dressers, however, so my hubby always wore jeans or Dockers, we only dressed in suit jacket/semi formal the first 3 or 4 cruises. I like just simple dresses, mostly long on most nights. Very simple and can go anywhere so his attire was always the problem. I love him in a golf shirt or Tommy Bahama Panel shirts and Docker type shorts and that is what he feels most comfortable in...I would never force him to wear slacks or jeans especially with the changes in SUGGESTIONS RCCL just made. We always look neat and clean, but we never followed the SUGGESTIONS per say.

And I wouldn't show off any of my "fat" anyways, too polite for that.

So I am perfectly happy.

It's interesting that several posters stated they don't want to bother to change from shorts, so shorts in the dining room is good news. If the shorts were worn all day, or on an excursion, at least change to clean shorts for dinner.

People who change clothes for dinner usually also clean up a little for dinner.

RCL's "Casual" definition states nothing about the MDR attire. Perhaps RCL should've asterisked that with the statement below reading "does not include main dining room definition for attire."

They've defined casual and in the cruise compass beside suggested dress for the MDR it states casual....it doesn't get much clearer than that.

It's not just the fees...which on some airlines can be more than that $25...and remember, the fees for for each leg and for each person...

Even more important is the need to travel in some reasonable fashion...not schlepping multiple suitcases all over the place.

For our upcoming back-to-back cruises on Jewel of the seas, we will be arriving in Rome 4 nights ahead of the cruise...and going, by train, up to Orvieto for two of those nights...then, after 14 nights of cruising, we'll be heading up to Tivoli, then back to Fiumicino...We'll be spending 24 days total...and we'll be in four different hotels between the pre- and post-cruise...and on several trains or other local transportation with the luggage...We'll also take an Uber from home to the airport and back...and there's a practical limit to the luggage one can put in that...and we may switch some of the local Italian trains for local taxis in some places...

We will need to pack very efficiently to have this thing all work out...

Yeah, the airlines restrict our bags to 50 pounds or less...If anyone takes local carriers within Europe...or some other places in the world--like our intra-China flights on our China trip, the limit there is only 44 pounds...

So, YOU may think it's simple enough to "pay an extra $25"...but, seriously?

This I can relate too, did B2B2B2B 42 nites plus 2 more in hotel. Allegiant Airlines has 40# limit and one of my suitcases at 8# alone. I got real creative have to when overweight($150) costs or 3rd bag($100). Ended up cheaper to fly first class with only 2 bags that weigh up to 70# on Delta. Everyone charges extra now, I didn't even mention the $29 extra Allegiant charges for a preferred seat...Guess I should have put this on the $7.95 room service thread...

Although I'm a traditionalist, I'm OK with the change. My only concern is that with the "rules" now loosened, people will continue to push the envelope.

Example: "No swimsuits in the MDR? Why not? It's my vacation, I'll dress how I want! Besides, it's the Caribbean and it's hot out. Society's changing...no one wants those stuffy rules. Anyway, how can you let what someone else wears affect your enjoyment of dinner? Just live and let live."

All of the arguments previously advanced to allow shorts in the MDR equally support allowing swimsuits in the MDR.

Although I'm a traditionalist, I'm OK with the change. My only concern is that with the "rules" now loosened, people will continue to push the envelope.

Example: "No swimsuits in the MDR? Why not? It's my vacation, I'll dress how I want! Besides, it's the Caribbean and it's hot out. Society's changing...no one wants those stuffy rules. Anyway, how can you let what someone else wears affect your enjoyment of dinner? Just live and let live."

All of the arguments previously advanced to allow shorts in the MDR equally support allowing swimsuits in the MDR.

Fine by me as long as they're not dirty or stinky.

RC doesn't say anything about a dark suit. Just a suit and tie, tuxedos...! A suit is formal as far as RC is concerned for their formal events and that's good enough for me. Referencing/comparing any other formal events else where doesn't apply here.

You are correct. RC can define formal anyway that they desire. Whatever is formal in their own mind. Speedos and tank tops or whatever they want to call formal. Shame on me for referring to the general accepted definition of formal.

It's interesting that several posters stated they don't want to bother to change from shorts, so shorts in the dining room is good news. If the shorts were worn all day, or on an excursion, at least change to clean shorts for dinner.

People who change clothes for dinner usually also clean up a little for dinner.

I was waiting for a post like this because I find it disgusting that someone would not change for dinner. Whether they change from shorts to another pair, surely wearing the same that you've worn all day is not only lazy it's unhygienic. As far as I'm concerned this is another indication of RCI's race to the bottom in their desperation to attract more and more first time passengers to fill their ever growing huge ships.

I'm a coat and tie guy for formal nights. I prefer the MDR remaining shorts free. We look at the evening meal as not just food but an experience. One we happily sail on Royal Caribbean as opposed to other casual lines for. I know times change but since everywhere else they are allowed I don't understand why keeping MDR free of them is a big deal. As a girthy kinda guy I have no use for tank tops on myself or others. If that didn't matter I could hit a redneck beach for vacation.

You are correct. RC can define formal anyway that they desire. Whatever is formal in their own mind. Speedos and tank tops or whatever they want to call formal. Shame on me for referring to the general accepted definition of formal.

That's right. Now if you choose to dress to the general accepted definition of formal that's your choice.

So you're in the Caribbean. You spent all day in shorts in port. Some have commented "oh good, I do not have to change any more before I go to dinner, I can now go in my shorts." Forget about changing. How about showering???? Would you not want to clean up before dinner? Ew.

I agree, there's no need to assume that shorts and tank tops are now acceptable in the MDR for dinner.

I agree. This is guidance for what to wear around the ship. Nothing whatsoever to do with the MDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree. This is guidance for what to wear around the ship. Nothing whatsoever to do with the MDR.

It clearly relates to the MDR. It's blatantly obvious that it does. Did you ever open the Compass and see a dress suggestion for the daily activities?

That makes no sense. The 3 terms they describe are the same terms they use for suggested dress in the Compass for the MDR.

It clearly relates to the MDR. It's blatantly obvious that it does. Did you ever open the Compass and see a dress suggestion for the daily activities?

You got me. It does relate to the MDR. But blatantly obvious? No it wasn't. I thought it was referring to venues such as shows, bars, etc. around the ship.

P.S. You don't have to be such a jerk.