Shorts now part of the casual dress code

They apparently DON'T intend that all non-formal nights in the MDR are "smart casual".

Their website publishes THIS chart:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

Clearly shows, for example, for a 7-night cruise...4 casual, 1 smart casual and 2 formal...

And it CLEARLY states that this is for..."Dinner attire...Meals in the main dining room follow this schedule:"

Unfortunately, I think that this is just another case of incremental changes being made to the website. There are dozens of pages that address the issue of attire, and many have yet to be brought up to date.

Correct as usual Bob but Smart Casual has been effective ignored for about the last ten years. A few of us guys can still remember toting both a tux and a sport coat on cruises. Today many cruisers consider Smart Casual as acceptable for Formal.

I stopped bringing a sports coat on cruises in 2009 for smart casual. For me in the MDR in the evening, Formal is a suit and casual/smart casual is dockers and polo/golf style shirt. Except the first evening it's shorts and a golf/polo style shirt.

Edited by davekathy

RCL's "Casual" definition states nothing about the MDR attire. Perhaps RCL should've asterisked that with the statement below reading "does not include main dining room definition for attire."

Just out of curiosity, what would this new dress code be applicable to, if not the MDR? There isn't exactly a dress code for wandering the ship. It would also be terribly confusing to say there are 2 definitions of casual depending on where you are onboard.

Just out of curiosity, what would this new dress code be applicable to, if not the MDR? There isn't exactly a dress code for wandering the ship. It would also be terribly confusing to say there are 2 definitions of casual depending on where you are onboard.

Notwithstanding Royal trying their hardest to confuse the issue as usual, I think this new dress suggestion does apply to the MDR. However, I suppose they can say it's for specialty restaurants but not the MDR. Doesn't make sense to me, but I have a problem understanding many things RC does.

Notwithstanding Royal trying their hardest to confuse the issue as usual, I think this new dress suggestion does apply to the MDR. However, I suppose they can say it's for specialty restaurants but not the MDR. Doesn't make sense to me, but I have a problem understanding many things RC does.

After watching the video, I have to agree with you. RCI even responded to one of the video's comments with "It's all about preference. It's your vacation, so we want you to be comfortable."

I don't know why, but this just makes me think of the people of Walmart website. :eek:

CB

I think the ok for tank tops is a mistake (by the proofreader). I don't think they were ever allowed for men in the dining room? or the WJ, even when 'casual' was specified.

The video lady says that most of the complimentary venues are 'casual'.

yuk. I don't mind shorts but tank tops on men in the restaurants is going too far.

I don't k ow why Royal has dress code when eating at sea. I live in a big city and about 90% of the restaurant I visit don't have a dress code. Sometimes I'm shopping with my girlfriend in sport attire but we get hungry and we end up in a restaurant near us. Some are casual and others are elegant ( elegant because they increase the price of the entrees).

Maybe it's the weather of south Florida that allow us to be more flexible when it comes to "dress code"but seriously if the vast majority of people don't car what you wear in land why is so important at sea during your vacation

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the ok for tank tops is a mistake (by the proofreader). I don't think they were ever allowed for men in the dining room? or the WJ, even when 'casual' was specified.

yuk. I don't mind shorts but tank tops on men in the restaurants is going too far.

Hope you're right. At least for the sake of the children.

a190df278ec4e101dc872a328c6a55e1.jpg

CB

From my recollection, the only place where men could not wear tank tops was the MDR for breakfast, lunch (on sea days) and, of course dinner. They were allowed in the WJ.

On a recent cruise to the Caribbean, where we were having breakfast in Chops, there were 2 guys that came in every morning with tank tops on and when I made a comment to the Manager, he claimed there was nothing he could do.

From my recollection, the only place where men could not wear tank tops was the MDR for breakfast, lunch (on sea days) and, of course dinner. They were allowed in the WJ.

On a recent cruise to the Caribbean, where we were having breakfast in Chops, there were 2 guys that came in every morning with tank tops on and when I made a comment to the Manager, he claimed there was nothing he could do.

Your recollection is correct.

Correct as usual Bob but Smart Casual has been effective ignored for about the last ten years. A few of us guys can still remember toting both a tux and a sport coat on cruises. Today many cruisers consider Smart Casual as acceptable for Formal.

I think that toting a tux as well as a sports coat seemed to change when the airlines started charging baggage fees.

I believe Royal giving "the seal of approval" means you will see more than half the MDR in shorts/t-shirts at night. Which means if I don't feel like changing into long pants....i won't now. I did in the past.

Really hate the idea of tank tops being allowed for men.....hairy armpits at dinner. I would probably switch tables.

No.....I Would switch tables.[emoji40]

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

I totally agree with you. Shorts are fine, however dining with men in a tank top would not be "my cup of tea".

I think that toting a tux as well as a sports coat seemed to change when the airlines started charging baggage fees.

I totally agree. We are getting ready for our next cruise and I told my wife I was thinking if just doing a long sleeve and tie because to bring suits is another bag to bring and be charged for especially for when you are using multiple airlines.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I totally agree. We are getting ready for our next cruise and I told my wife I was thinking if just doing a long sleeve and tie because to bring suits is another bag to bring and be charged for especially for when you are using multiple airlines.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Aw, forget the shirt and tie, just wear your shorts and tank top;)

Let's get this straight, you pay several thousand for the cruise, including air, but you balk at a $25, each way, luggage fee?

It's not just the fees...which on some airlines can be more than that $25...and remember, the fees for for each leg and for each person...

Even more important is the need to travel in some reasonable fashion...not schlepping multiple suitcases all over the place.

For our upcoming back-to-back cruises on Jewel of the seas, we will be arriving in Rome 4 nights ahead of the cruise...and going, by train, up to Orvieto for two of those nights...then, after 14 nights of cruising, we'll be heading up to Tivoli, then back to Fiumicino...We'll be spending 24 days total...and we'll be in four different hotels between the pre- and post-cruise...and on several trains or other local transportation with the luggage...We'll also take an Uber from home to the airport and back...and there's a practical limit to the luggage one can put in that...and we may switch some of the local Italian trains for local taxis in some places...

We will need to pack very efficiently to have this thing all work out...

Yeah, the airlines restrict our bags to 50 pounds or less...If anyone takes local carriers within Europe...or some other places in the world--like our intra-China flights on our China trip, the limit there is only 44 pounds...

So, YOU may think it's simple enough to "pay an extra $25"...but, seriously?

Let's get this straight, you pay several thousand for the cruise, including air, but you balk at a $25, each way, luggage fee?

I certainly understand your point but it could be a contributing reason, especially if you need pressing service.There are most likely several factors involved. Primarily that we are a more casual society - generally not taken to dress to the nines like in past times. Royal Caribbean has not had a formal night for as long as I can remember. A tuxedo is expected at formal affairs not a dark suit, as suggested by RCCL.

And rightly so. What right do you have to tell the staff how to run things?

1. Yep

2. Have you seen the thread on the $7.95 room service charge? Over 1000 posts.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

...Royal Caribbean has not had a formal night for as long as I can remember. A tuxedo is expected at formal affairs not a dark suit, as suggested by RCCL.

RC doesn't say anything about a dark suit. Just a suit and tie, tuxedos...! A suit is formal as far as RC is concerned for their formal events and that's good enough for me. Referencing/comparing any other formal events else where doesn't apply here.

I don't k ow why Royal has dress code when eating at sea. I live in a big city and about 90% of the restaurant I visit don't have a dress code. Sometimes I'm shopping with my girlfriend in sport attire but we get hungry and we end up in a restaurant near us. Some are casual and others are elegant ( elegant because they increase the price of the entrees).

Maybe it's the weather of south Florida that allow us to be more flexible when it comes to "dress code"but seriously if the vast majority of people don't car what you wear in land why is so important at sea during your vacation

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's not only in Florida, but in the Northeast as well. My SIL would be caught dead in Summer months with chinos when eating in restaurants. As a matter of fact, when we sailed as a family at Easter I told him to dress casual at Giovanni's & Chops--well he did, by wearing shorts & polo at both venues. Also, my son followed suit.

Ps. Some days at work ( big financial firm) he wears shorts & flip flops. He also told me that the firm introduced those new desks that you could work both standing & seated.

Firms, to attract talent are very liberal in not also dress codes but flexible in many ways.

And rightly so. What right do you have to tell the staff how to run things?

I wasn't telling the staff how to run things. I was just asking a question since I am well aware of the rules regarding "gentlemen" in tank tops in either the MDR or Specialty Restaurant..........am I not allowed to do that??

On the same cruise, at lunch in the MDR, the gentleman in front of us had a tank top and was politely told that he would have to go and put a shirt on! The Manager of the MDR was doing his job!!!