Shorts now part of the casual dress code

Okay, so nice linen or cotton high end designer shorts are bad but polyester plaid stretch pants from Walmart are good.....Got it.

I'm with the group that doesn't believe for a minute there will be a herd of tank top wearing hairy arm pitted men descending on the MDR en masse. Unless it's a Bear's cruise.

It will be interesting to see if there is a change in the suite lounge attire since I don't think shorts were "allowed" at night.

On our recent cruises- Allure, Oasis & Harmony we've seen quite a few men in shorts in the SL and CK in the evening. On Harmony, in February, a woman regularly came in around 5pm in a wet bathing suit and cover up and sat in an upholstered chair to enjoy a cocktail. I'm sure the next person who sat there got a bit of a surprise! And nothing was said to any of them.

I think nice dress shorts and a collared shirt are fine.....but not beachwear.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

Okay, so nice linen or cotton high end designer shorts are bad but polyester plaid stretch pants from Walmart are good.....Got it.

I'm with the group that doesn't believe for a minute there will be a herd of tank top wearing hairy arm pitted men descending on the MDR en masse. Unless it's a Bear's cruise.

It will be interesting to see if there is a change in the suite lounge attire since I don't think shorts were "allowed" at night.

I sail NCL often and the dress code is shorts/nice shirts for men and I can honestly say I never have seen it abused in either the MDR or specialty restaurants. My dh and I dress up every day for work, we like to be nicely dressed but more relaxed on our vacations, including cruises. I'm happy to see this change going forward.

Thanks Suzy. Yes, Mr Wolf has some very nice "dress" shorts that would pair with a button down or polo shirt. And I have some nice shorts too - certainly would be a lot more comfortable to sit outside in the suite deck in those on Caribbean cruises! We'll be prepared either way - we're rule followers. :)

I rarely pay attention to what people wear when I go out and I never hear any of my friends saying " he is wearing short or whatever" but at sea most people look so concerned about it that I don't k ow why. You can even request a table for your party, there are so many options but still some people insist on the old tradition

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are so right because here in Charlotte as you know, you see all styles of clothing in restaurants, I don't care what class or stars the restaurant has!

I like that you brought up the etiquette thing because what some of the muckity mucks of upper society need to realize is that everybody wasn't brought up the same and in the same places in society and had the same opportunities to experience how the so called upper class live and dress. While people are looking at people in shorts etc. in disgust, it could very well be that the clothing they wear at dinner is appropriate for where they have come from and is not looked down or frowned upon until they come on a cruise and run across people who think that all of society should conform to the way they think people ought to dress and should know which order to use the silverware. I have been to many places around the world during my 20 years in the military and have experienced different cultures and I have lived on both sides of the clichéd "Tracks" and know that everybody cannot be put into a box to conform to someone else's standards. :cool:

Yay, another Charlotte person! I was beginning to wonder if I was alone....

I couldn't care less what other people wear to dinner. I wear shorts and a polo all the time to "nice" restaurants. Don't like it? Sucks to be you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

After that first night, the only people to eat at that table were the fighting couple from California. We watched from our new table for two upstairs.

Wow really hard to believe, but your response was the appropriate thing to do...you can always ask to be moved.

My hub doesn't own a tank top either, just so you know.

We did Legend to Hawaii a couple years ago and one evening in the Diamond Lounge (we were all in smart casual BTW) a couple came in dressed in what can only be described as Bob Mackey or even Halloween costume type evening cloths. Real Cher stuff. All in white, the hubby in a white vest, white trousers and a black tie. The wife in a very strange dress and a hat with feathers, at first I thought they might be going to the Mystery Dinner, but someone said no they have dressed in matching outfits each night and the wife made them herself. They were really something. The next night we saw them in the dining room in matching harlequin outfits (red and black diamond shapes on the fabric. We found out they were Russians. I never took a photo, too impolite but i sure wish I had one of them. So you can find the gamete from one end of the spectrum to the other.

We haven't cruised in a few years but are taking our family on a " my retirement" cruise in June and I am very happy about this change. Of course, I was one of those slobs that wore shorts to dine whenever I wanted to before. It's just nice to be legal now. Lol. I didn't put on a pair of long pants for a full year after I retired, for anything. I also have been off these boards for a few years and it seems to me that attitudes have changed about this, for the better, IMO

I think there is a huge difference between men in tank tops (I don't even like them on men in the gym) and those on women. I live in Florida and I have all kinds...from work out clothes to tennis clothes to lovely silk or beaded tank tops. So unless the DR is overly air conditioned, I am all for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love to dress up for dinner. It's a favorite about cruising.

But here's the thing: It doesn't matter what I, or you, want to see or not see on a cruise or in a restaurant (ie: hairy pits and women's cellulite). No one gets to tell someone else how to dress or how to live. Maybe that's the way things have been in the past but those days are over. We're acknowledging that different people do things differently, and "different" does not mean "wrong". Of course in places like Arizona, where it's over 100 several months of the year, shorts are acceptable business casual attire, while in places like Minnesota they're just for weekends during a few months of the year. Neither one is right or wrong.

I am sorry if you're offended - I'm pretty sure that's no one's end game when they pick out their cruise wardrobe. Nothing is permanent except change, and if every one is going to upset you, you're going to have a harder time relaxing on your amazing cruise.

JMHO, of course.

Boarded Freedom today. Not surprisingly, Cruise Compass disagrees with the RCI website: "Please note that bare feet, short pants, and tank tops are not permitted at dinner."

I guess it doesn't matter much since they never really enforced the rules anyway, but they probably ought to let the ships know that the rules have changed.

Boarded Freedom today. Not surprisingly, Cruise Compass disagrees with the RCI website: "Please note that bare feet, short pants, and tank tops are not permitted at dinner."

I guess it doesn't matter much since they never really enforced the rules anyway, but they probably ought to let the ships know that the rules have changed.

Is dress code listed as casual?

On the Feb. Navigator cruise, diners were nicely shoed away at both breakfast & lunch for having tank tops. I remember, one husband after being refused turned to his wife telling her "I told you they would not let me in."