Live from the Wind. Ft.Lauderdale to Monaco.

CruisinPashmina

Apparently the seas will be subsiding in the afternoon tomorrow. Most importantly we are still going to dock in Funchal...picking up passengers and taking on fuel. I was afraid that we would have to skip Madeira because of the 14 delay in leaving Bermuda. Funchal is the only place I haven't yet been...so I'm perfectly happy.

Appreciate these posts and details. Glad that the seas are improving. Safe travels for the rest of your cruise adventure. Keep up the great sharing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 211,544 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I don't know the names of the Bridge instructors, but I will find out. Apparently they are wonderful. One of my little Gang of Four is taking lessons and she LOVES them...says they don't make her feel stupid...a real plus, I would think.

Seas are quite a bit better, but people are still staggering around quite a bit. I think I am lurching more than staggering.

The crew, always so hard working, is having to work extra hard to provide the usual spectacular service. Albert and Alfonzo are in their usual rush, and the bars are hopping. ...any relationship to the aforementioned staggering?

We did better at Trivia this afternoon...but still not good enough. There are many teams...we are playing in the Panorama Lounge, and it's pretty much filled.

Having fun...miss you Dusa!

The Bridge instructors, I learned are Sharon and Kent. My friend says that Sharon is beyond patient, and that she told my friend, a retired University professor, that she, Sharon, loves to teach.

On a different note: the food has been wonderful, and the wines offered have been very, sometimes VERY good...with one exception, and it was replaced immediately, with a smile, with something we..all four of us liked, a lot.

I was on the Cloud over the recent Christmas/New Years holidays and thought the food was especially good...think it's even better on this cruise.

About to turn in...the seas are much better...very conducive to sleep..Goodnight everyone!

...the food has been wonderful... I was on the Cloud over the recent Christmas/New Years holidays and thought the food was especially good...think it's even better on this cruise.
That's good to hear. We thought the food was very good on the Spirit over New Years too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know the names of the Bridge instructors, but I will find out. Apparently they are wonderful. One of my little Gang of Four is taking lessons and she LOVES them...says they don't make her feel stupid...a real plus, I would think.

Seas are quite a bit better, but people are still staggering around quite a bit. I think I am lurching more than staggering.

The crew, always so hard working, is having to work extra hard to provide the usual spectacular service. Albert and Alfonzo are in their usual rush, and the bars are hopping. ...any relationship to the aforementioned staggering?

We did better at Trivia this afternoon...but still not good enough. There are many teams...we are playing in the Panorama Lounge, and it's pretty much filled.

Having fun...miss you Dusa!

I agree Albert and Alfonso are super..... and I suspect it's a big part of it.

Good news the seas have died down and you're enjoying the food and wines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Bridge instructors, I learned are Sharon and Kent. My friend says that Sharon is beyond patient, and that she told my friend, a retired University professor, that she, Sharon, loves to teach!

Thanks for finding out and replying. It's always good to hear that they teach well. Good bridge instructors are a real bonus on a crossing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello Cruisin Pashmina,

What an interesting start to your travels. Do hope that the sea behaves from now on.

Sorry to hear that Trivia hasn't been too good - does Rico do a "Colin" and include phobias and collectives? Agree, that questions on "years" are virtually impossible, and a guess could be well out. Is Rico standing in for Colin, or is Colin no longer with SS?

Glad to hear that all seems well on my beloved Wind and pleased that both food and wine are up to usual standard.

We only have six days left before we embark the Muse, and typical of Sir and Madame (or really only - Madame) there is still so much preparation to be done before we fly to Nice on Sunday. As always the packing will eventually be finished in time - we hope!

Keep the news coming and we hope to reciprocate from the Muse.

BTW, what exactly is the story on the Internet? We had 24/7 free Internet on our Spirit cruise from Buenos Aires to Bridgetown, and now people who have joined the Spirit subsequently are saying that it is only one hour free? A definitive answer would be useful.

Take care and enjoy - Funchal is lovely, if you have time, go to Reids for morning coffee/afternoon tea and sit on the terrace where you will face the Silver Wind. This used to be a ritual for so many passengers when docking in Funchal.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

From UK Silversea Web Site today

WiFi and Internet Packages

OCEAN FLEET

2017 Voyages

• Unlimited Internet access for guests in Medallion, Silver, Royal, Grand, and Owner's Suites
  • One hour of Internet access per guest/per day for guests in Vista, Terrace, and Veranda Suites
  • For additional tiered packages, please click here.

2017 World Cruise

• Complimentary Unlimited WiFi for All Full World Cruise Guests in All Suite Categories

EXPEDITION FLEET

2017 Expeditions

Silver Explorer

• Unlimited Internet access for Expedition, Medallion, Silver, Grand and Owner's suites.
  • One hour of Internet access per guest / per day for Adventurer, Explorer, View, Vista and Veranda suites

Silver Galapagos

• Unlimited Internet access for Veranda, Deluxe Veranda, and Silver suites
  • One hour of Internet access per guest / per day for Explorer and Terrace suites

Silver Discoverer

• Unlimited Internet access for Vista, Veranda, and Medallion suites
  • One hour of Internet access per guest / per day for Explorer and View suites

Unlimited internet access is available for guests booked on voyages departing on or after January 1, 2016 in Medallion, Silver, Royal, Grand, and Owner's suites aboard Silver Cloud, Silver Wind, Silver Shadow, Silver Whisper, Silver Spirit , and Expedition, Medallion, Silver, Grand, and Owner's suites on Silver Explorer, Veranda, Deluxe Veranda, and Silver suites on Silver Galapagos, Vista, Veranda, and Medallion, on Silver Discoverer. One hour internet access per guest/ per day applies for those guests booked in Vista, Terrace, and Veranda suites on Silver Cloud, Silver Wind, Silver Shadow, Silver Whisper, Silver Spirit, Adventurer, Explorer, View, Vista, Veranda aboard Silver Explorer, Explorer, and Terrace suites on Silver Galapagos, Explorer and View suites on Silver Discoverer. For World Cruise 2018 Terms and Conditions, please click here. Additional internet packages are available for purchase. WiFi service is not guaranteed. Silversea is not responsible if WiFi service is not available. No credit or other compensation will be provided should WiFi service not be available or should the WiFi allowance go unused. Programme subject to change.

Thanks so much for the fleet wide explanation on the Internet. Doesn't make me one bit happy!

Rico seems to really enjoy doing the Trivia..aside from the impossible date questions, I think he's wonderful.

Venetian Society party tonight..off I go! Lots of first timers on board so it should be a rather small gathering.

From UK Silversea Web Site today

WiFi and Internet Packages

OCEAN FLEET

2017 Voyages

• Unlimited Internet access for guests in Medallion, Silver, Royal, Grand, and Owner's Suites
  • One hour of Internet access per guest/per day for guests in Vista, Terrace, and Veranda Suites
  • For additional tiered packages, please click here.

2017 World Cruise

• Complimentary Unlimited WiFi for All Full World Cruise Guests in All Suite Categories

EXPEDITION FLEET

2017 Expeditions

Silver Explorer

• Unlimited Internet access for Expedition, Medallion, Silver, Grand and Owner's suites.
  • One hour of Internet access per guest / per day for Adventurer, Explorer, View, Vista and Veranda suites

Silver Galapagos

• Unlimited Internet access for Veranda, Deluxe Veranda, and Silver suites
  • One hour of Internet access per guest / per day for Explorer and Terrace suites

Silver Discoverer

• Unlimited Internet access for Vista, Veranda, and Medallion suites
  • One hour of Internet access per guest / per day for Explorer and View suites

Unlimited internet access is available for guests booked on voyages departing on or after January 1, 2016 in Medallion, Silver, Royal, Grand, and Owner's suites aboard Silver Cloud, Silver Wind, Silver Shadow, Silver Whisper, Silver Spirit , and Expedition, Medallion, Silver, Grand, and Owner's suites on Silver Explorer, Veranda, Deluxe Veranda, and Silver suites on Silver Galapagos, Vista, Veranda, and Medallion, on Silver Discoverer. One hour internet access per guest/ per day applies for those guests booked in Vista, Terrace, and Veranda suites on Silver Cloud, Silver Wind, Silver Shadow, Silver Whisper, Silver Spirit, Adventurer, Explorer, View, Vista, Veranda aboard Silver Explorer, Explorer, and Terrace suites on Silver Galapagos, Explorer and View suites on Silver Discoverer. For World Cruise 2018 Terms and Conditions, please click here. Additional internet packages are available for purchase. WiFi service is not guaranteed. Silversea is not responsible if WiFi service is not available. No credit or other compensation will be provided should WiFi service not be available or should the WiFi allowance go unused. Programme subject to change.

Now I'm confused, I'm so very sure we had the new free unlimited internet on the Cloud over Christmas and New Year 2016\2017 in South Africa. Reception said it had only just started and already the noise level in the Restaurant had diminished due to guests being buried in their 'phones and iPads. Terrible speeds by the way. There was a techie on board from the company who set it up, don't think he had time for any festivities though. I'm following you Cruising Pashmina with great interest, loving all your posts. Good to see you back on board, your natural home.

MM

Posh,

A really fun way to spend a day in Funchal is to do the

Monte Toboggan Rides

OMG! It is so much fun. You take the funicular to the top and then sled down the streets. By the time you reach the bottom, you will be ready for a tasting of Madeira wine :) There are many youtube videos if you want to see what you are getting into.

We sure did have free internet on the Cloud last Christmas! Anyone remember conversations with the corporate Venetian Society person who was on board to investigate what perks Venetians would really like to have to enhance this "loyalty" program? This must have been about 5 years ago, athough I admit the years kind of run together. Well here's an idea, free internet for Venetians who have sailed "X" amount of days! Like me, for starters

Had dinner with the Captain last night..up in the Terrasse. Small table of 3 women, and four men, including the very charming, easy going Capt. As you have been reading the weather has been problematic, and the Captain pushed knives, salt and pepper shakers etc around to illustrate the different systems, and our course alterations. Apparently we will be only late by an hour into Funchal tomorrow morning. Amazing!

Not going to mention Trivia ever again...at least on this thread.

Thanks for the tip on the sled in Madeira. I'm going to see if I can make a last minute change of excursion.

'

Took Karaokequeen's advice, changed my reservation and bought tte Toboggan/sledge excursion. Talk about a WILD ride. I was terrified. Of course the more I screamed the crazier the ride became. Definitely unforgettable. While I know that I would never do it again, I absolutely think everyone should let it rip, and do this. Thank you for pushing me!

Truly fabulous dinner at La Terrasse tonight. I thought the food was wonderful on the Cloud at Christmas...it is even better on this cruise.

Another Sea Day tomorrow. After the exceptional day we had today I am ready to "recuperate". Much better Trivia day today. We actually didn't embarrass ourselves...a triumph!

In Gibraltar today. I've been here before, and had a bit of a tour and several encounters with the yucky apes. Decided, this time, to take over the very pleasant Observation Lounge and watch the overwhelming traffic in this port. 12 big ships without turning my head!

We are berthed behind "The Saga". She is flying a flag from Malta and looks familiar. Anyone know who she was in a previous life? She's got only about ten balcony cabins, looks very well cared for, albeit very dated.

????

CruisinPashmina

She is the Saga Sapphire and was originally the MS Europa

She was purchased by Saga who are a UK company specializing in holidays for people over 50 years old. They have a very good reputation in the UK

You are enjoying Gibraltar from the best position

In Gibraltar today. I've been here before, and had a bit of a tour and several encounters with the yucky apes.
What are these "apes" that your refer to? I hope to see Gibraltar someday, but am confused by the "yucky apes" reference. Thx.

Ahhh Trivia is so very important to have a good team

And yes we all had unlimited wifi at Xmas :(

I'm a lot jealous now... wishing i was on board.

I noticed one of the cruises I had my eye on for 2018 has a reduced single supplement. We just have to get other dates sorted!!!!!!!

What are these "apes" that your refer to? I hope to see Gibraltar someday, but am confused by the "yucky apes" reference. Thx.

They are Barbary macaques 'At present, some 300 animals in five troops occupy the area of the Upper Rock area of the Gibraltar Nature Reserve, though occasional forays into the town may result in damage to personal property."

220px-Gibraltar_Barbary_Macaque_on_a_tourist.jpg

They are Barbary macaques 'At present, some 300 animals in five troops occupy the area of the Upper Rock area of the Gibraltar Nature Reserve, though occasional forays into the town may result in damage to personal property."

Holy smokes! Thx for responding. I really thought you might be referring to hucksters relentlessly bothering passengers.

Don't know why, but my last three posts on this thread have been lost.

In very brief:

Apes: about five years ago two of them grabbed my skirt and begged for treats. Really scared me.

Cartenega: I went to Murcia, a town about 45 minutes in land. Interesting with some very beautiful buildings and squares and a gorgeous cathedral.

Port Mahon: beautiful long harbor sail in. Lovely old town with real, not touristy shops, pretty gardens. We had a fabulous guide which makes all the difference.

Marseille: stayed on the ship as I have been here several times.

I fly home from Monaco/Nice tomorrow. It has been a quick 17 days. Wonderful experience. Viva The Silver Wind!

Took Karaokequeen's advice, changed my reservation and bought tte Toboggan/sledge excursion. Talk about a WILD ride. I was terrified. Of course the more I screamed the crazier the ride became. Definitely unforgettable. While I know that I would never do it again, I absolutely think everyone should let it rip, and do this. Thank you for pushing me!

Truly fabulous dinner at La Terrasse tonight. I thought the food was wonderful on the Cloud at Christmas...it is even better on this cruise.

Another Sea Day tomorrow. After the exceptional day we had today I am ready to "recuperate". Much better Trivia day today. We actually didn't embarrass ourselves...a triumph!

Kudos to you Pash! That sled ride is frightening, especially when the skis start smoking and you can smell the burn. Thankfully the operators are skilled. Been fishing off Captiva two days this week. Be grateful you aren't on Sanibel. Traffic really bad!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app