I need to check a case of water in a duffle bag Zuiderdam FLL

leela8

I am traveling solo and I can't carry the water on board. Should I ask the porter if it's ok? Will they confiscate it before delivering it to my cabin? I need the water so don't tell me that the water on board is fine to drink from the tap. Can anyone give me details if and when they have checked water with the luggage at the pier?

Thank you

I am traveling solo and I can't carry the water on board. Should I ask the porter if it's ok? Will they confiscate it before delivering it to my cabin? I need the water so don't tell me that the water on board is fine to drink from the tap. Can anyone give me details if and when they have checked water with the luggage at the pier?

Thank you

Might be easier to have it in a box and check it with your other luggage. That is what we do. Or check a couple of bottles and buy more water on your port visits.

What I thought was a problem is I thought water only could be brought on board if it's carried on. A case of water is too heavy for me to carry on and I wanted to check it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you

We stick a luggage tag on the water case. No problem in FLL but Tampa personnel would not take it. I had to schlep it myself and it wasn't pretty!

Sent from my XT1064 using Forums mobile app

We get a liter of Evian (not the other stuff) in the dining room every night and take it back to our room. If you say every night they will find a supply of Evian. Cost $4.03 liter.

Edited by SFO PETER
wording

What is the problem?

Water and water in plastic bottles is not on HAL's list of controlled beverages.

Thinfool, it's not a matter of water being a prohibited beverage (as you note, it's not). if your beverage (water, wine, whatever) BREAKS or is otherwise punctured, it's going to get all over not only your checked luggage but also everyone else's stacked near (under, next to) your bag, which will make a lot of people very unhappy at the start of their cruise. And you're only going to have to deal with your own bag; you won't have to explain to the other people affected why their luggage is wet/sticky/discolored. That is why you are required to carry on your beverages. Do some people sneak beverages through in checked baggage? yes. Will it break, leak, or whatever? Probably not. But if it does, that's a big mess that no one wants to deal with.

What I thought was a problem is I thought water only could be brought on board if it's carried on. A case of water is too heavy for me to carry on and I wanted to check it.

Leela, would it be too heavy for you to put the case of water in a rolling carry on bag with whatever else you might be carrying on? Maybe use a small backpack for your lighter stuff? If not, as someone else suggested, it might be easier to get some water at each port. From what I understand, you are permitted to bring on water and soda at each port.

Thank you

I suggest you place the case of water in a small suitcase, and check it with the porters. It will minimize the chance of the bottles breaking, and it will look like any other piece of luggage until it gets scanned.

Also, you'll have an extra suitcase for dirty laundry, or souvenirs.

In any event, I'm glad to hear that HAL still permits water and soda to be carried on. I was just on the Norwegian Breakaway, and they don't allow you to bring any water or beverages aboard.

I cannot drink ship water for medical reasons, so we pack a filter jug (Brita) this way I know my water is safe. We don't have to worry about any breakage and if you don't want to bring it back just leave it in the cabin. Cabin stewarts never bother with it.

The ship's tap water is typically of very high quality. We drink bottled water at home but have no problem drinking tap water on HAL ships. Just bring a couple water bottles and then refill them.

igraf

Tampa Girl -

Not everyone can or wants to drink tap water. The OP asked how others dealt will this situation.

I would not count on Brita filters to do much as they mostly just reduce the chlorine taste with carbon. The references below suggest that the Brita filter may not do what you need.

http://xvsx.org/brita-vs-pur-filters/

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/crypto/gen_info/filters.html

The ship's desalination filters, on the other hand, do an excellent job of cleaning up the water. Much more than a Brita filter will ever do.

igraf

I cannot drink ship water for medical reasons, so we pack a filter jug (Brita) this way I know my water is safe. We don't have to worry about any breakage and if you don't want to bring it back just leave it in the cabin. Cabin stewarts never bother with it.

I would not count on Brita filters to do much as they mostly just reduce the chlorine taste with carbon. The references below suggest that the Brita filter may not do what you need.

http://xvsx.org/brita-vs-pur-filters/

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/crypto/gen_info/filters.html

The ship's desalination filters, on the other hand, do an excellent job of cleaning up the water. Much more than a Brita filter will ever do.

igraf

Interesting to learn what a Brita does and does not do: bottled water for showers now too?

In terms of bacteria, however, Brita water filters do not aid to kill the microorganisms. If you have not changed your filter in six months, the Brita filter becomes useless.

Brita traps, but does not kill bacteria. Because the filter cannot kill bacteria, it actually becomes a breeding ground for the microorganisms if not changed regularly. An old, unchanged Brita filter can be dangerous because its use may add bacteria, which had been killed in the tap by chlorine, back into water.

So, the bottom line is that if you have a clean Brita filter, it is fine to use it for better tasting water and to take extra precaution. But for those concerned about chlorine levels, you can also go ahead and drink the tap as well. Chlorine is a fat-soluble compound and just as much enters your body when you take a shower as when you drink it directly.

I see this question asked a lot on HAL's FB page and their representative always answers that water and soda can be brought on and when people ask how much the reply is always "as much as you can carry on, you can't check it, it must be carried on by the passenger."

So I would personally call HAL and be specific about your need for the water and your inability to carry an entire case yourself. Maybe if it's for a CPac machine or whatever they will make an exception.

Good luck!

Maybe if it's for a CPac machine or whatever they will make an exception.

CPAP machine users generally use distilled water, not tap water. However, tap water is just as good in the machines as bottled drinking water would be. On the ship, better for the machine than bottled water, as it's purer.

OP, you can bring on additional water at ports; it doesn't have to be all you think you will want at embarkation. Why not bring some bottles to start, then take an empty carry-on ashore and stock up when there's nothing else to drag.

Did you know that HAL sells bottled water 12 - 1 liter bottles for $36.20 which needs to be ordered via their website before your cruise? We plan on ordering several of these for our 12 night cruise and I have already ordered 2 gallons of Distilled water for a total of $5.90 for my Cpap machine. I know it is expensive but less headaches to just have it waiting for us in our stateroom union arrival.

CPAP machine users generally use distilled water, not tap water. However, tap water is just as good in the machines as bottled drinking water would be. On the ship, better for the machine than bottled water, as it's purer.

Right...I assumed because she said she "needed" to bring on a case of water that it was distilled for a machine since she didn't specify what kind.

Just noticed in my original post the spell check changed CPAP to CPac lol whatever that is.

Did you know that HAL sells bottled water 12 - 1 liter bottles for $36.20 which needs to be ordered via their website before your cruise? .............

Thanks for the tip. I had never looked at the beverage packages so I missed the bottled water offer. Sounds good for our next voyage too and no hassles.