Perception of "Cruisers"

I have been following John Heald's page on Facebook and have come away with this: Are "cruisers" really that uptight, self-righteous, pretentious, and have a feeling of extreme entitlement; or are the "messages" he posts from people made up? Or maybe people send him these messages as a way of trolling. I just can't imagine that they are real because while I know most people in general are selfish, some of the messages he posts just take it to an entirely new level.

I have been following John Heald's page on Facebook and have come away with this: Are "cruisers" really that uptight, self-righteous, pretentious, and have a feeling of extreme entitlement; or are the "messages" he posts from people made up? Or maybe people send him these messages as a way of trolling. I just can't imagine that they are real because while I know most people in general are selfish, some of the messages he posts just take it to an entirely new level.

We've been on a few, always met plenty of kind, fun, down-to-earth people! I think he posts the most extreme comments sometimes! There ARE some people that just like to complain! I was on the Legend a few years ago, enjoying the sun/pool and a beautiful day in the Caribbean! Along come this woman, who plops down beside me and starts to complain about the MUSIC, (yes, really) ! I looked at the sun. sea, pool and all the guests having a blast, and was just blown away that she HAD to complain! I got up and moved after a few minutes telling her to enjoy the beautiful day! Life (and vacation) is too short to deal with that!! lol

He may get messages that are that self entitled, but I think most of them are trolls who purposely try to be obnoxious and antagonistic or are made up by one of his PR team. It's a 50 - 50 split between those two opinons.

I saw one recently that mentioned a thread from CC about the new diamond/platinum gift that was very ugly. It made it sound as if everyone on the thread was a self entitled jerk, and I know that's not how the actual topic went. Then, of course, everyone on the Heald page piles on because they have to be part of the pack. He once mentioned that he didn't like CC, and now according to his fan base, all of CC are EBIL. Vicious circle type stuff.

John himself gives out good info from time to time, especially when there are storms out and itinerary changes must be made. I don't read his page as much as I used to because of all of the made up drama though.

Between a rock and a hard place.

When John posts glowing reports, he's just a blowhard promoting his cruiseline.

When he posts obnoxious behavior, it's just made up to get people worked up.

Just depends on how the reader wishes to react.

The rest of us accept that each example is the top 1% or the bottom 1% of cruisers

As a sailor who hangs out in the USVI, BVI and St.Martin, cruisers are not well received. Most sailors check cruise schedules to avoid the popular beaches or attractions when ships are docked. The perception is they spend very little money, trash beaches, and fill the already straining sewer system. Please don't slam me, go on any sailing board and there are cruise ship schedules posted on every island. Don't get me wrong we love cruising as well as sailing. My sailing friends say to me you're one of "them". Sometimes we do not want working vacations, cooking our own food, cleaning, and worrying about what is going to break next. The OP asked about perception.

He may get messages that are that self entitled, but I think most of them are trolls who purposely try to be obnoxious and antagonistic or are made up by one of his PR team. It's a 50 - 50 split between those two opinons.

I saw one recently that mentioned a thread from CC about the new diamond/platinum gift that was very ugly. It made it sound as if everyone on the thread was a self entitled jerk, and I know that's not how the actual topic went. Then, of course, everyone on the Heald page piles on because they have to be part of the pack. He once mentioned that he didn't like CC, and now according to his fan base, all of CC are EBIL. Vicious circle type stuff.

John himself gives out good info from time to time, especially when there are storms out and itinerary changes must be made. I don't read his page as much as I used to because of all of the made up drama though.

He is a very nice fellow but does post things that are designed to stir the pot and promote lots of posts.

Cruises are like big cities with all kinds of different people on board.

You cannot lump them into one group even if you try.

For example how you can evaluate if they are big spenders if some book cheapest insides once a year, another highest suite multiple times. One would book all tours and another just happy to set a foot in port. Some lines are luxury, other are budget...

My 2cents is there are more people like John's in his posts than one would imagine. Our close friends were transferred to St. Thomas for 5 years. They loved it there except for cruise passengers. Particularly odious were on a couple of lines notorious for rude and cheap guests.(Don't ask, I'm not telling)

Loved visiting them when we cruised there but definitely felt bad for residents.

Dee

As a sailor who hangs out in the USVI, BVI and St.Martin, cruisers are not well received. Most sailors check cruise schedules to avoid the popular beaches or attractions when ships are docked. The perception is they spend very little money, trash beaches, and fill the already straining sewer system. Please don't slam me, go on any sailing board and there are cruise ship schedules posted on every island. Don't get me wrong we love cruising as well as sailing. My sailing friends say to me you're one of "them". Sometimes we do not want working vacations, cooking our own food, cleaning, and worrying about what is going to break next. The OP asked about perception.

on a related topic-I live in florida. as soon as all the snow birds starting coming down here, we all grown and complain. are all snow birds bad? no. but the sudden influx of people does put a strain on things. & as someone who lives within 2 hours of Disney-there are days/times of the year that I won't touch Disney or any other touristy place because I know how the crowds are going to be.

I agree with sprint180. He wants to say what he thinks, but can't....so he leaves it up to everyone else to do it.

There is, among some people, a sense of entitlement when they are on vacation or spending money in any capacity, quite frankly. They think if they are paying money for something, it should meet every expectation and are very rude and demanding when it does not. Unfortunately, this behavior is beginning at a younger and younger age....

A lot of people complain on here about the exact same things people write into john heald about, and a lot of it really does sound ridiculous, uptight, and petty.

Having said that, I think that a minority of cruisers are like that, but that they're more prevalent among the serial cruisers

I spend half my time on board marveling at how poorly my fellow travelers treat the staff, how self entitled some act, and just feeling embarrassed to be part of the group.

So we keep to ourselves, figure out the flow, avoid the crowds, make friends with the crew, tip well and never go to any chain / tourist trap on shore.

In can't imagine anything worse than being a local and having 5 cruise ships invade my island. Unless I was selling crap t-shirts to tourists I guess.

Anyone who has ever worked in customer know you can some doozies sometimes

The old saying applies.....please one customer and they will tell no one.....anger a a customer and they will tell anyone that will listen...including many inflated disparities that probably are not the truth.

People are funny. Spend an hour loading up a grocery cart and then wanting immediate check out when "they" are ready. Go the gym or for a run in the morning for exercise and then complain when the parking space adjacent to your destination isn't available. Peruse a menu for half an hour and then complain when the food takes "cooking" time 'cause your lunch hour is almost over. Go to lunch or dinner at peak times and then become agitated when no table is open. Travel during spring break because you like the weather and then have a hissy fit because the ship is full of kids who are actually on spring break.

Cause and effect. An absurd concept for many and people on "vacation", where money is involved, are sometimes the worst offenders....especially on cruises where the anticipation doesn't always match the cause and effect reality.

on a related topic-I live in florida. as soon as all the snow birds starting coming down here, we all grown and complain. are all snow birds bad? no. but the sudden influx of people does put a strain on things. & as someone who lives within 2 hours of Disney-there are days/times of the year that I won't touch Disney or any other touristy place because I know how the crowds are going to be.

When we lived in deep South Texas, they resented being called snow birds. Winter Texan was the preferred term. The locals in Mexico called them Q-tips. White hair/White shoes.:')

When we lived in deep South Texas, they resented being called snow birds. Winter Texan was the preferred term. The locals in Mexico called them Q-tips. White hair/White shoes.:')

We have a friend who has a second home where they stay during the summer. They call the weekend people that come to the lake "Trunk Slammers".

As for John's postings, I have learned on here a long time ago that the people that have a good time rarely post anything. The ones that have a bad time are the first to make sure everybody knows about it.

He is a very nice fellow but does post things that are designed to stir the pot and promote lots of posts.

Agreed. We've sailed with him on a Blogger's cruise and he also assisted us when we needed to get off the ship early to attend a funeral (Cheryl's mother died while on the cruise).

Having said that - he knows what buttons to push to get "conversations" going. I find most of his material entertaining, if not a bit low brow, but therein lies some of the allure!

Tom

I would guess most locals have a love / hate with the cruise ships. They rely on them, in some cases solely, for their livelihood while despising the "disneylandification" (yes i made that up) of their home while the ships are in town.

Don't forget that besides tourist cruisers spending $$ on food, souvenirs, tours and taxis the local government gets Port Fees from the cruise line paid for each and every passenger aboard whether they get off or not.

We live near a tourist town and even though locals complain about the tourists the local economy is based on the cash incoming from those tourists.:)

I would guess most locals have a love / hate with the cruise ships. They rely on them, in some cases solely, for their livelihood while despising the "disneylandification" (yes i made that up) of their home while the ships are in town.

Love that word

We hate disney

These posters have confused John Heald with their daddy and are vying for his attention so they can feel special. Every time (and he contributes) he posts a situation where he rewarded a guest for bad behavior, he triggers more insecurity of other cruisers who think John likes them best. He should pass out self help books or direct them to counselors instead of trading cabins, passing out free steak dinners, bottles of bad champagne and ships on a stick.