Well, won't be cruisin RCL any time soon!!

I am a senior citizen, booked my first cruise ever with RCL for 11/18. I made my deposit, and for Christmas, my daughter gave me a $250 e gift certificate to help with my cruise. As of 4/1/17, I had paid over half of my cruise costs. I thought that was pretty good for someone living on a limited income and I was determined to make my dream come true. I sacrificed on other things to make it happen. Unfortunately, I had to cancel due to long term circumstances, and called RCL to do so. I was told that I would receive my money back within 2-3 business days, which I did. Except for the $250 e certificate. I called RCL and was told that the $250 was not refundable and therefore, lost the money. I feel worse for my daughter than myself, but you would think that it could have been credited for a future cruise. It is bad enough that they don't offer any single supplements, and now this. Very sad today.......

I wonder if the gift certificate could have been moved to another reservation before the original reservation was cancelled? We've done that with Visa points OBC in the past.

Did the person you spoke when cancelling mention the certificate was non-refundable? They may have not noticed you used one and simply noticed the amount on the reservation then when you called to inquire they let you know it couldn't be refunded. Does your daughter have a copy of it can she go through the fine print?

If the person who cancelled wasn't aware you can approach RCI letting them know you weren't aware it wasn't refundable and the person that cancelled it didn't offer you the option to change your date so you wouldn't lose the certificate. They may look at the option to help you out differently if you weren't made aware of the restrictions as it was a gift and you didn't have the information handy on the rules of the certificate.

The gift card program Royal uses is awful and has way too many restrictions. I bought my Aunt a $100 gift card a few years ago and she gave it back to me and said I thought we were friends. I don't understand why they can't make their cards like every other large company. I would buy Royal gift cards all the time for gifts if they would just get rid of all the restrictions for use.

THAT IS BS. So they're basically saying thanks for the 250.00 you get nothing? Regardless what the fine print might say I would fight this with them by email/phone/correspondence forever. How in gods name can they defend such a policy?

Well, just got off the phone with the resolutions supervisor. She offered to credit me $250 for another cruise in February 2018. I explained that my cruise in question was for 2/18!! What good would that do me? Her answer: "oh yeah, that's right." I'm not going to pursue this any further with RCL, but will wait to see if Bagley responds. I do appreciate all of your responses. I had heard that these certificates were more trouble than they were worth. I just feel really bad for my daughter. Might as well have taken the certificate and burned it! In any event, life is too short to stay upset. Will get my family emergency straightened out, and find another cruise line. Happy sailings to all of you!!!

Well, just got off the phone with the resolutions supervisor. She offered to credit me $250 for another cruise in February 2018. I explained that my cruise in question was for 2/18!! What good would that do me? Her answer: "oh yeah, that's right." I'm not going to pursue this any further with RCL, but will wait to see if Bagley responds. I do appreciate all of your responses. I had heard that these certificates were more trouble than they were worth. I just feel really bad for my daughter. Might as well have taken the certificate and burned it! In any event, life is too short to stay upset. Will get my family emergency straightened out, and find another cruise line. Happy sailings to all of you!!!

Just an FYI, it is Bayley, not Bagley. You want to use the right name if they do call.:) If you emailed MBagley, you might want to resend to the correct email.

But you said in your first post that the cruise was for November....now you say it is for February? I'm confused.

But I once tried to use one of these gifts on a cruise as I boarded and was told the fine print states you must call in advance at least 3 weeks before cruising for the $$ to be added to your onboard acct. I was pretty steamed as I had never even seen the restrictions. Thought a gift certificate was just that. It took a few hours and tears sitting with the ships ambassador but they finally "made an exception".

In 15 years of cruising RCCL I have found a good attitude with persistence will get you just about anything you want....so I advise the same to you. Keep at 'em.

Just an FYI, it is Bayley, not Bagley. You want to use the right name if they do call.:) If you emailed MBagley, you might want to resend to the correct email.

LOL, I did have the correct spelling when I wrote, just so darned mad that I got it wrong here!! Making me laugh, thanks!!

Great news everyone! I just got a call from RCL corporate from a lovely woman who said that RCL will honor the certificate on a future cruise. She was the nicest person to talk to. I really appreciated the fast response and the good news. But, I don't ever want anyone giving me those certificates again! Give me cash or a Visa card lol. Once again, thanks so very much for all of your advice!

Great news everyone! I just got a call from RCL corporate from a lovely woman who said that RCL will honor the certificate on a future cruise. She was the nicest person to talk to. I really appreciated the fast response and the good news. But, I don't ever want anyone giving me those certificates again! Give me cash or a Visa card lol. Once again, thanks so very much for all of your advice!

Excellent!

Your experience is one reason why we always tell people to call to buy OBC and not use gift certificates.

trust me, I have read your threads and I knew those certificates were bad news, but my daughter didn't realize the problems they could cause. She thought she was giving me a helping hand towards paying and that's why I felt so bad. Didn't want to see her hard earned money wasted. But, all is good for now. I'm smiling, and that is a good thing!

Glad to hear it! I believe they probably saw your post here. ;)

Sorry to hear. I guess I'll list this as another reason to never pay anyone for anything until absolutely required. Put the money in an account and pay it on deadline.

I'm glad it worked out in the end.

trust me, I have read your threads and I knew those certificates were bad news, but my daughter didn't realize the problems they could cause. She thought she was giving me a helping hand towards paying and that's why I felt so bad. Didn't want to see her hard earned money wasted. But, all is good for now. I'm smiling, and that is a good thing!

If you booked your cruise through a travel agent call them. Our friends had a death, no insurance but our travel agent went to bat and Carnival did the right thing and offered another cruise.

Sorry to hear. I guess I'll list this as another reason to never pay anyone for anything until absolutely required. Put the money in an account and pay it on deadline.

I'm glad it worked out in the end.

Thank you. You are right about waiting to pay, but since I am cruising solo, I figured I would get a jump on paying it of and not worry about it. . Next time I will know better!

Great news!!! So glad this worked out for you. Enjoy your trip when you do take it.