Cruise oversold

It looks like Royal has a variety of ways to roll the dice to maximize revenue and to try to accommodate passengers in case they guess wrong. Aside from a variance on what cabins get cancelled or turn out to be no-shows, my main thought about the GTY cabins is that it allowed some flexibility in handling how those get filled, including calls from the upgrade fairy it there are a lot of higher-end cabins that become free. My guess is that they keep a few suites unbooked so they do have th flexibility to move people around (or just have a bingo prize!).

I booked our first GTY cabin for an Anthem Balcony for a cruise this past August, saving us over $400 per person two months in advance of the cruise. At the time, there were about 300 cabins showing up as available across categories so in my mind it was a risk that was likely to pay off. As it happened, we got a cabin assignment the next day but I was prepared to pay whatever was needed to book an actual cabin in case we did not get an assignment by the time cabins were getting scarce. We're local but were helping to celebrate a relative's anniversary so we wanted to make sure we got on that cruise.

Biker, who got bumped once on a flight to Frankfurt while sitting at the departure gate but shrugged it off (they gave me a seat on a later flight but no compensation).

Which is why you need to know your rights under the local laws.

EU requires a full refund, free transport, plus about 250 Euro compensation.

I feel your pain.....

A few years ago I had a confirmed 1st Class (not business) seat from Tokyo to Atlanta. The flight got cancelled and Delta put me in a middle seat in coach on the next flight. My compensation was 10k points and airport lunch.

I was told I was lucky they even had a seat on the next flight. I didn't feel too lucky!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Paid First Class? Or upgraded?

And if on a Delta aircraft, this was a LONG time ago. Delta got rid of international First Class in the 90s.

KNOW YOUR RIGHTS.

Not quite.

Voluntarily Denied Boarding is where they make an offer and you accept the offer to not board.

If they cannot get people to accept their offer, then you are INVOLUNTARILY Denied Boarding. And then law kicks in. And if this happens in the EU, you can make out. Full refund, free flight as soon as possible, AND a cash payment for the trouble.

Which is why you need to know your rights under the local laws.

EU requires a full refund, free transport, plus about 250 Euro compensation.

You do realize that you are replying to people that posted last April.

I don't know if they had bumping rules back then - this happened 24 years ago - I think the only time it ever happened to me (go figure for a United million miler).

I have never been bumped, and million miler on United AND Delta.

They REALLY do not want to involuntarily deny boarding.

Unless we get a report from someone who actually got bumped, we have no idea what RCI offered.

Also, to the folks that did get bought off, they must have thought it was a good enough deal - that's really the only thing that counts.

This ^^^^^^^

Good business practice is to keep upping the offer until enough people accept the offer. Then everyone is happy. No one is bumped. Those who volunteered are happy with the compensation.

And with a business, your offer starts low and ramps up until it works. Why offer a lot, when it turns out enough would accept a lesser offer.

Wow some one got 'bumped off the plane " over there , and lost his teeth . did he not tip enough ?

Maybe you would like the whole story.

Airplane boarded, airline needed 3 seats. They offered increasing compensation. At $800 plus meals and lodging, 4 people accepted. And picked up their carry on and got off the plane.

Then, when they were told that the next flight would not get them to their destination until the next afternoon, one passenger ran back onto the plane and would not leave. Did you notice the empty seat in the video? That was for his wife, who was still at the desk, as her husband deserted her, running back on the plane.

He was now illegally on board, as he had voluntarily accepted the offer. So the airline called the airport police. Who removed him. Look closely, he is not bleeding at this point.

A bit later, he runs BACK onto the airplane, but is NOW bleeding. Still without valid boarding.

A little different than the news reports. News reports what someone THINGS happened, but when the facts come in a few days later, they cannot be bothered to update the information.

A GTY booking is a guarantee for a cabin of that category booked or better. You cannot specific deck or location on a deck. It is typically cheaper in price, although if a ship is fairly booked, the only category left might be guarantee.

In the Spring, I booked a ten night cruise less than a month prior to sailing date. Booking showed as guarantee the entire time. As I was heading to the airport the day prior to sailing, my travel agent called me with the overbooking information.

We were offered to continue on sailing as is, or offer to change from four people in two rooms (balcony) to four people in one room (jr suite) with basically entire fare minus port fees/taxes refunded. We also got to keep our on board credit, and our travel agent had his commission protected.

We called our travel agent back and accepted, and ended up in an Owner's Suite instead. While we didn't get a full fare refund(guessing terms changed slightly due to upgrade), it was over 90%, which I think was more than fair.

A GTY booking is a guarantee for a cabin of that category booked or better. You cannot specific deck or location on a deck. It is typically cheaper in price, although if a ship is fairly booked, the only category left might be guarantee.

In the Spring, I booked a ten night cruise less than a month prior to sailing date. Booking showed as guarantee the entire time. As I was heading to the airport the day prior to sailing, my travel agent called me with the overbooking information.

We were offered to continue on sailing as is, or offer to change from four people in two rooms (balcony) to four people in one room (jr suite) with basically entire fare minus port fees/taxes refunded. We also got to keep our on board credit, and our travel agent had his commission protected.

We called our travel agent back and accepted, and ended up in an Owner's Suite instead. While we didn't get a full fare refund(guessing terms changed slightly due to upgrade), it was over 90%, which I think was more than fair.

Maybe a good reason to book a guarantee......

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Generally, I've found that I prefer Royal Caribbean to Princess but we had a very positive experience with their Move Over program. They offered us our choice of any 12 night cruise they offered, would refund the cost of the cruise in onboard credit, and gave us a $500 airfare credit to pay for the airline fees when we switched. it was only about a week before the cruise, so we fretted for a day or so but then decided we really had to take it. We just took the same cruise six months later.

Would someone please enlighten me about this? I've read about the "guaranteed" cabin in other threads, and I've never really understood the whys or the wherefores.... When I book a cruise, usually online, I select my cabin right then. Under what circumstances would someone get a "guaranteed cabin" and why would anyone do this? Thank you for making me a wee bit smarter... :)

Guarantees have been around forever. The cruise gives you a price and you agree to let them choose your cabin for that price. They are not always available, but when they are, it's an opportunity to save money. You are guaranteed to get a cabin in the category you pay for. It could be the worst cabin on the ship in that category. Sometimes people get lucky and get s terrific cabin. The cruise line can wait till day if sailing to assign your cabin. You have agreed to accept that cabin.

Until now, everyone with a guarantee has been told not to worry even if they get their assignment at check in.

Obviously that has changed which would sure keep me from ever booking a guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Until now, everyone with a guarantee has been told not to worry even if they get their assignment at check in.

Obviously that has changed which would sure keep me from ever booking a guarantee.

What has changed is that you hear about these very rare things happening due to CC - don't think this has not happened in the past.

What has changed is that you hear about these very rare things happening due to CC - don't think this has not happened in the past.

I asked a couple of cruise travel agents and they were as surprised as I was when I told them the story. If cruise lines are doing that on even a once in s while basis, it will eventually bite them. The guarantee cabins are for the cruise lines' benefit, and it will start being a tough sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

. If cruise lines are doing that on even a once in s while basis, it will eventually bite them. url]

Not unless and until you get a "United Airlines incident ". Again, this has happened in the past and the folks affected have been compensated enough to not have any affect nor present any issues. As is the case with the great majority of purchases, most only care about the bottom line price.

• 2 months later...
Guarantees have been around forever. The cruise gives you a price and you agree to let them choose your cabin for that price. They are not always available, but when they are, it's an opportunity to save money. You are guaranteed to get a cabin in the category you pay for. It could be the worst cabin on the ship in that category. Sometimes people get lucky and get s terrific cabin. The cruise line can wait till day if sailing to assign your cabin. You have agreed to accept that cabin.

So once a cabin is assigned, a GTY booking is on equal footing with a regular booking, right?

Bumping people doesn't seem to solve the increased revenue part. RCI's cabin inventory prognosticator app must be run by their IT dept.

I have an issue with people always blame the IT Department. The IT Department creates the programs that are used, but it is non-IT people that are responsible for the data. It would be like blaming Microsoft for a mistake you made in your formula your Excel file. The IT department only supplies the tools. :D

I have an issue with people always blame the IT Department. The IT Department creates the programs that are used, but it is non-IT people that are responsible for the data. It would be like blaming Microsoft for a mistake you made in your formula your Excel file. The IT department only supplies the tools. :D

The programs have issues.;)