Cruise oversold

I am not sure if this would minimize the risk... There is another thread on the Celebrity forum in which is being discussed that clients with assigned cabins were also bumped of their cruise. After lots of talks they were allocated another cabin but not the one they had booked before.

Actually I am very concerned about this issue...

I'm off to find that thread. That doesn't sound nice at all.

I read that thread about the people who were going to be bumped from the Celebrity cruise. It was disturbing. A poster (twobluecats) said they called contacted the Captain's Club to verify their own reservation and ask about the bumping and they were told:

She said, "we never simply tell someone they no longer have a cabin. We offer compensation and an alternate solution. If the customer is not interested or capable of making a change, they keep their cabin and we move to someone else."

The people who were set to be bumped were told they were bumped, but then they later got different cabins than the ones they booked. It seems to me that Celebrity probably tries to bump people and only ends up doing it to the people who accept their offers. However, it looks like they act like there is no option to stay on the cruise, but somehow there really is. If this ever happens to me, I guess I will insist that being bumped isn't acceptable (unless, of course the offer is too good to pass up).

I will very much be in the 'eh no' camp if they contact me looking to bump. I will have flights, pre and post cruise accommodation, kenneling etc so it isn't viable for me to be bumped at all.

Yes, the cruise lines are counting on the fact that people think they have no rights and no leverage in this situation, when they do.

And just what are those "Rights" and the "Leverage" you mention ?

As I read the contract it looks to me the advantage is to the cruise company, but you obviously know better given your statement. Please share.

What are those rights and leverage that would prevent an involuntary bump from a cruse ?

Yes, the cruise lines are counting on the fact that people think they have no rights and no leverage in this situation, when they do. Overselling is quite different than a cruise cancellation due to weather, mechanical issues, and other circumstances outside the control of the cruise line.

Since the first cruise contract I read, I have understood a cruise line has no obligation to provide a cruise and no obligation to provide compensation. One gives up pretty much all rights, include the right to use a court to resolve disputes.

Seems to be a new thing with Royal and Celebrity,lots of cabins bumped on this week's trans-Atlantic with a week's notice and no explanation. Hope this is not a trend to upswell cabins,maybe time for a passenger bill of rights. I know cruises can be cancelled for any reason but this is fishy to me, just my opinion. I would not want to be told the day before that cruise is off .

We were booked on the Oasis for December we received an email letting us know that our cruise was chartered out and they gave us a option between 4 different cruises 2 of them in the Harmoney same days I think and 2 other Oasis different days or $200. OBC we took the credit as we wanted to change any way but we did not negotiate for more OBC or any thing else. As far as the guarantee cabin we never had that I always thought that we will get a cabin that no one want. In the past when they had hard time to fill the ship than a person could get a good cabin guarantee even than we never did. Now a days when the ships are sold out or nearly sold out the guarantee most likely be a cabin that no one want unless the cruise line keep some good cabins aside and give the to the guarantee customers

When Celebrity sold Century to a European associate they sold a repositioning cruise, then they got a better offer from Asia, so cancelled the European cruise, unfortunately all lines seem to do similar.

One day someone with deep pockets will take them on.

Seems to be a new thing with Royal and Celebrity,lots of cabins bumped on this week's trans-Atlantic with a week's notice and no explanation. Hope this is not a trend to upswell cabins,maybe time for a passenger bill of rights. I know cruises can be cancelled for any reason but this is fishy to me, just my opinion. I would not want to be told the day before that cruise is off .

We have to arrange time off work up to 1 year in advance and book cruises accordingly so to be bumped would mean not being able to rearrange our cruise,so just hope it never happens.

43 cruises and counting.

We have to arrange time off work up to 1 year in advance and book cruises accordingly so to be bumped would mean not being able to rearrange our cruise,so just hope it never happens.

43 cruises and counting.

We are in a similar situation. Lots of organization involved when we plan a cruise including international flights. So we also hope it is not going to happen to us the way is happening in the last week with passengers from Celebrity or Royal on such a short notice.

By the way our first cruise was with Silversea cruises. We did a booking on board for a second cruise for Christmas and New Years for one year later. About 8 months before our cruise we have received an email from Silversea informing us that they were returning our deposit because the cruise was fully booked! No alternative was offered. In our lack of experience we were just surprised. We did not even knew a cruise forum existed. However with that action Silversea without knowing it, made us a favour, since we did cruise at the planned time, but with another line, which we found to be better than Silversea. Now we have done more than 50 cruises with different cruiselines. We have never returned to Silversea and we do not plan to do it.

The cruise industry adopted a passenger bill of rights a few years ago, after the Carnival Triumph incident. It doesn't address overbooking or bumping though. The text is here:

https://www.cruising.org/about-the-industry/regulatory/industry-policies/other/pbor

What was the Carnival Triumph incident?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What was the Carnival Triumph incident?

From all the reports...it was a really unpleasant cruise:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/carnival-triumph-disaster-a-drama-of-discomfort/2013/02/15/021265f8-76e2-11e2-8f84-3e4b513b1a13_story.html?utm_term=.8426076caac2

Hmmm unfortunate.

We are in a similar situation. Lots of organization involved when we plan a cruise including international flights. So we also hope it is not going to happen to us the way is happening in the last week with passengers from Celebrity or Royal on such a short notice.

By the way our first cruise was with Silversea cruises. We did a booking on board for a second cruise for Christmas and New Years for one year later. About 8 months before our cruise we have received an email from Silversea informing us that they were returning our deposit because the cruise was fully booked! No alternative was offered. In our lack of experience we were just surprised. We did not even knew a cruise forum existed. However with that action Silversea without knowing it, made us a favour, since we did cruise at the planned time, but with another line, which we found to be better than Silversea. Now we have done more than 50 cruises with different cruiselines. We have never returned to Silversea and we do not plan to do it.

Just shows how things can be life changing and thankfully for you it was for the better.

43 cruises and counting.

This thread makes me nervous! I just booked a Bermuda cruise on the Anthem, this will be my first GTY booking. Thankfully it's out of my home port so there won't be any flights or hotels to book, but a bumped cruise would still be a disaster.

Fyi, we're back. Had an awesome cruise. Review to come.

We had no issues boarding or otherwise.

To be clear, they told me the two options and my reply was that it was not acceptable. They took my money for a cabin and they needed to find someone else willing to switch to another cruise. I asked him how many cabins were oversold and he told me 15. Yes maybe that's odd that he shared that, but he did because I asked. Was he supposed to? Probably not.

Anyway, thanks for the well wishes and had no idea this would turn into a 9 page thread, LOL.

Fyi, we're back. Had an awesome cruise. Review to come.

We had no issues boarding or otherwise.

To be clear, they told me the two options and my reply was that it was not acceptable. They took my money for a cabin and they needed to find someone else willing to switch to another cruise. I asked him how many cabins were oversold and he told me 15. Yes maybe that's odd that he shared that, but he did because I asked. Was he supposed to? Probably not.

Anyway, thanks for the well wishes and had no idea this would turn into a 9 page thread, LOL.

Aw, I love a happy ending!!

• 4 months later...

We recently completed a 12 night Hawaii cruise on the Radiance of the Seas. We had reserved two outside cabins. One for my DW and I. The other for my DD and a friend. About a week prior to the cruise I received a call from the "Revenue" department.

They asked if I was willing to be upgraded form an OV cabin to a Gran Suite. There was one catch, we would all have to share one room. In my haste to think it over, it did not dawn on me until this thread that maybe they had overbooked and needed the rooms. I of course accepted their offer. We usually share a room with our daughter anyway, and the suite entitled all four of us to the accompanying perks. We took full advantage of them.

The OP's post was a little odd. Whoever they talked with would never disclose how many reservations were oversold.

Also this is extremely common in the airline and hotel Industry. In your passenger contract it is usually worded as "VDB" Voluntary Denied Boarding.

And there are set guidelines in play for this very situation.

This is also a covered event with most trip interruption policies.

Not quite.

Voluntarily Denied Boarding is where they make an offer and you accept the offer to not board.

If they cannot get people to accept their offer, then you are INVOLUNTARILY Denied Boarding. And then law kicks in. And if this happens in the EU, you can make out. Full refund, free flight as soon as possible, AND a cash payment for the trouble.