Bermuda less pushy?

salinza33

Last year my husband and I did RCI to Bermuda and Bahamas. We docked in Bermuda on a Sunday and I was so impressed with the atmosphere. There wasn't the pushy sales people demanding your attention like I expected. We then docked in the Bahamas and I couldn't enjoy myself with being constantly approached and hassled. I'm not afraid to say no but it wouldn't stop. My question is: was Bermuda better just because it was a Sunday or is it generally much friendlier and laid back? I'm curious because we'll be spending 3 days there this time. What's the atmosphere like at Harbor nights?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

Bermuda is very different from the Bahamas and most Caribbean islands. The economy is not entirely dependent on tourism and is much more stable so the atmosphere is much more laid back. Harbor nights is a street fair with lots of individual vendors like you'd find at a similar event in the US. It's really not that big but if you're lucky, the Goombay Dancers will make an appearance.

People will definitely not be bugging you constantly to buy whatever they're selling.

Bermuda is very different from the Bahamas and most Caribbean islands. The economy is not entirely dependent on tourism and is much more stable so the atmosphere is much more laid back. Harbor nights is a street fair with lots of individual vendors like you'd find at a similar event in the US. It's really not that big but if you're lucky, the Goombay Dancers will make an appearance.

People will definitely not be bugging you constantly to buy whatever they're selling.

Bermuda is special for any number of reasons, but this experience sums it up for me. DW and I were waiting for a bus near Hamilton. A local woman boarded ahead of us and as she did, she greeted the driver, saying, "How are you, Mr. Jones?" He replied "I'm very well, Mrs. Brown" How nice, how respectful. The way things were.

That's what I told everyone when I came back from our trip. It was a slice of heaven. Everyone was so pleasant and kind that we met. Lots of people on the city bus were more than happy to talk with us. I loved our short time in Bermuda and couldn't wait to come back.

I've never been approached by anyone pushing products or services on me, as happens in the Caribbean. Totally different environment, people and cultures. Although both place have a warm climate and beaches.

Everything in Bermuda is extremely expensive.

We have been to Bermuda 4 times and it is my favorite port. The people are so friendly, kids will give up their seats on a bus for the elderly. It is so clean and the beaches are so beautiful.

Bermuda is different from all of the Carribean islands. We love the Caribbean Islands, but Bermuda to us is by far the best; with the nicest people and the most beautiful beaches. Too bad it's just a six month beach season.

I like to go to Bermuda because the people are helpful and genuinely friendly, the island is clean, and it is not a tourist trap. I've never been approached by a panhandler, and have never seen a street vendor.

You are made to feel as a welcome guest in their home, not someone who is just to be tolerated.

SBtS

Have a story about the people of Bermuda which occurred in 1994. Wife, daughter, son and I got off the Horizon in Hamilton and started walking down the street There was a homeless man sitting on the ground with his feet stretched out over the sidewalk. As we approached my son who was 9 said excuse me to the man at which point he stood up and apologized to my son for blocking his way. I've had a lot of dealings with homeless in the states and can't imagine them apologizing for blocking the way. We were talking later to a Bermuda Policeman who said that the man we encountered was one of Bermuda's 6 homeless people.

We have been to Bermuda many times and never tire from it. Amazing people, amazing venues/beaches/sites.....amazing Island.

Same here. Going for the 6th time in about a month, people have always been pleasant, helpful, and kind. Plus it's a gorgeous place to visit. Hard to book other itineraries as we enjoy Bermuda every single time. We did discover the joy of the Canada/New England itinerary last Spring, that is another awesome trip, IMHO. Canada is beautiful, and lots of interesting ports.

We have been to Bermuda three times and love it. They don't beg you to come into their stores. It is a whole different atmosphere than the Caribbean. Did harbor nights last summer. We had our daughter, son in law and granddaughters, 4 and 2. They had bands, goombay dancers, a children's play area, and booths with local items for sale. We bought spices made in Bermuda. Front street is blocked off so it is a big party. A lot of food booths. Had a really good time. I'm ready to go back.

Bermuda as a whole has one of the highest per capita income in the world so in a way they don't need you as desperately as other places. They have a lot of banking and insurance interests there. It also helps that they are only less than 3 hour flight from most places on the Eastern U.S. coast. I understand they have fallen to 24th on the list of places most visited since the Caribbean islands got into tourism so they are making a push to make a comeback. It still makes up about 75 percent of the island's revenue. It also has a very high English colonial history. Been there several times, first in 1990 and the last 2 in the last 5 years on the Veendam. This ship still docks in Hamilton Harbor. They have a Town Crier welcome you there. So civilized. They used to have all English fine goods shopping on Front Street, no more. There used to be a man who would wave to everyone passing by on the streets of Hamilton, and they now have a statue of him.

The Bermudians expect courtesy and etiquette. When they tell you there is a changing room at Horseshoe Bay they mean use it. We made the mistake of not doing this and getting on the bus from the beach with swimsuits on. The bus driver asked us to stand so we would not make the seats wet or sandy. Lesson learned.

From experience I think if you want to enjoy the beaches you best wait until the first week of June but if you're a golfer it's great all year round. The cruise can get a little rough at times so be forewarned.

The unofficial song of Bermuda is "Bermuda is another World" and you can google it. It tells you all you want to know.

Bermuda was and still is a big Honeymoon spot for us from NY-NJ.

Enjoy your cruise, Voyages are measured more by friends than by miles.

Edited by NordicPrince

Have been to Bermuda many times. I believe because the unemployment rate is very low, nothing like the Caribbean islands, poverty is almost nonexistent. The residents are satisfied, well nourished and educated. So people are very happy as they have bright futures.

They have had problems the last few years. Increasing unemployment. Increasing crime. Nothing like the Caribbean islands but there has been increasing dissatisfaction.

Bermuda isn't a "Caribbean Island"....nor are the Bahamas! Both are in the Atlantic Ocean, not the Caribbean Sea.

Very true, which is probably why none of the other posters said that they were Caribbean islands.

Last year my husband and I did RCI to Bermuda and Bahamas. We docked in Bermuda on a Sunday and I was so impressed with the atmosphere. There wasn't the pushy sales people demanding your attention like I expected. We then docked in the Bahamas and I couldn't enjoy myself with being constantly approached and hassled. I'm not afraid to say no but it wouldn't stop. My question is: was Bermuda better just because it was a Sunday or is it generally much friendlier and laid back? I'm curious because we'll be spending 3 days there this time. What's the atmosphere like at Harbor nights?

Hi there

As some have suggested the reason you don't get the same sort of approach from the people who live there compared to some countries is because they are comparatively rich. You won't see people coming up to sell you trinkets in Grand Cayman, for instance either, as well as some other islands.

It's funny how people who don't have much and need to feed a family will do almost anything. So maybe when you are being "hassled" the next time, just buy a trinket and you could make someone's day a little better.

hope this helps

They are 2 different worlds.

They have had problems the last few years. Increasing unemployment. Increasing crime. Nothing like the Caribbean islands but there has been increasing dissatisfaction.

Like all places which are partially dependent on tourism when there is a splash in the world economy the ripples find their way ashore. Still think Bermuda is a little piece of paradise. Here's how the people of Bermuda are looking at it:

Edited by NordicPrince