Needing Some Honest Opinions About Norwegian Please!

danak13

My SO and I would like to take a cruise over Thanksgiving. We have been on Carnival and RC but not Norwegian. I found, what I think is a really good deal for a trip on the Norwegian Pearl, but I know very little about this cruise line.

Can you all help me out and tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly?! We need to book by April 9th :o:o

Thank you!

NCL is very similar to the lines you have already cruised on so you should enjoy yourself. The big difference is no set dining times and a very relaxed dress code meaning there's never formal nights where getting dresses is expected.

NCL recently has been offering a lot of things for :"free" depending on your stateroom. The free comes with an 18% service charge on most free offers that's required to be paid on the value of the free items.

There's some other small differences but otherwise you will enjoy yourself.

There is already a wealth of information on this forum about NCL and it's various ships. Dig in, start reading and then if you have specific questions, feel free to ask, you'll get more responses that way.

Thank you! I definitely plan on doing some digging after I posted this to make sure it is the right cruise for us. But since we need to make a decision fast, I thought I would start with a post!

NCL is very similar to the lines you have already cruised on so you should enjoy yourself. The big difference is no set dining times and a very relaxed dress code meaning there's never formal nights where getting dresses is expected.

NCL recently has been offering a lot of things for :"free" depending on your stateroom. The free comes with an 18% service charge on most free offers that's required to be paid on the value of the free items.

There's some other small differences but otherwise you will enjoy yourself.

My SO will definitely love the more casual dress code!

And that is exactly what I found; a deal with a comp drink package which we would buy anyways so it would save us a TON of money!

I think that overall you will find all the lines more similar than different. The main things for NCL are the freestyle dining - no traditional dining option all anytime dining; and almost no dress code. So there are always 2 MDRs, 1 formal and 1 casual, you can go to either. There's usually 2 other free dining rooms, o'sheehans/blue lagoon which serves pub food and jasmine garden which serves Chinese. You can eat where you want, when you want, and wear what you want. The exception is the specialty dining restaurants which do book up so reservations are suggested.

On the pearl you don't need to make reservations for shows. Other than that, it'll be the same as the other cruises you've been on. There's a dress up optional night, but dressing up is never required.

The biggest thing to know is whether or not you'll get an promos with booking. Outside of guarantee rooms (end with a X in the room type), everyone gets 'perks' with booking. Many people take the drink package which does incur a service charge (approx $14 pp pd). The drink prices on NCL are very high, so if you plan to drink, getting the drink package promo is helpful. If you don't, then just get the guarantee room and save some money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think that overall you will find all the lines more similar than different. The main things for NCL are the freestyle dining - no traditional dining option all anytime dining; and almost no dress code. So there are always 2 MDRs, 1 formal and 1 casual, you can go to either. There's usually 2 other free dining rooms, o'sheehans/blue lagoon which serves pub food and jasmine garden which serves Chinese. You can eat where you want, when you want, and wear what you want. The exception is the specialty dining restaurants which do book up so reservations are suggested.

On the pearl you don't need to make reservations for shows. Other than that, it'll be the same as the other cruises you've been on. There's a dress up optional night, but dressing up is never required.

The biggest thing to know is whether or not you'll get an promos with booking. Outside of guarantee rooms (end with a X in the room type), everyone gets 'perks' with booking. Many people take the drink package which does incur a service charge (approx $14 pp pd). The drink prices on NCL are very high, so if you plan to drink, getting the drink package promo is helpful. If you don't, then just get the guarantee room and save some money."

Thank you SOO much for the info; this is exactly what I was looking to learn. They are offering a drink package with the booking so that is the big draw for us!

Thank you! I definitely plan on doing some digging after I posted this to make sure it is the right cruise for us. But since we need to make a decision fast, I thought I would start with a post!

Since you need to make a decision fast, I urge you to also include some quick research on Haven category rooms.

IMHO after 24 cruises with most in the Haven, I feel that this is one huge advantage that sets NCL apart from other cruise lines. It is a luxury ship within a ship. It comes at a premium but I feel it is worth it.

We've sailed NCL, RC, and Carnival. RC has always ranked way up there with us because it's a little swankier and a little more refined, in our opinion, than NCL and Carnival, and that is reflected in their pricing. NCL and Carnival are about on par with each other. Carnival has the "fun ships," and NCL has "freestyle." Expect a more Carnival-like cruise than Royal Caribbean. You're still going to have fun, and NCL throws in perks that Carnival does not.

It appears you are looking at cruise out of New Orleans. First off, N.O. is great port. Suggest you go a little early if you have not visited before.

As to NCL and Pearl, I highly recommend. The Pearl is nice sized ship. The big ones are not really my cup of tea. We sailed on Pearl last year and loved it. As with most ships, the pool area is crowded.

We have pretty much settled on NCL as our line of choice. Depending on cabin choice, you will receive added benefits. Some complain about 18% service charge on dining and drink package, but I figure it is a lot cheaper than paying for drinks and specialty dinners.

Have done this itinerary a couple of times. Plenty to see and do. If you've never done it before check out independent shore excursions. A lot cheaper than NCL ones..

It appears you are looking at cruise out of New Orleans. First off, N.O. is great port. Suggest you go a little early if you have not visited before.

As to NCL and Pearl, I highly recommend. The Pearl is nice sized ship. The big ones are not really my cup of tea. We sailed on Pearl last year and loved it. As with most ships, the pool area is crowded.

We have pretty much settled on NCL as our line of choice. Depending on cabin choice, you will receive added benefits. Some complain about 18% service charge on dining and drink package, but I figure it is a lot cheaper than paying for drinks and specialty dinners.

Have done this itinerary a couple of times. Plenty to see and do. If you've never done it before check out independent shore excursions. A lot cheaper than NCL ones..

You would be right! I am looking out of NO and have never been to this port so it is great to hear it is a nice port! The deal we are looking at does have the drink package which is why it is so appealing to us.

Good to know about the independent excursions; I have never done it that way and it always makes me a little nervous :p

i have written a review on here of every NCL ship ive sailed. we like them, and they have been very good to us.

for us, its demographics. sure, are there some annoyances with NCL? yes, but the entertainment and people on board are why we stay with them (and we have platinum status). we could afford a fancier luxury line, but we dont want a ship that is 50+ with everyone in bed by 10. we like the nightlife, parties, waterslides, and the fact that there is something for everyone. i sailed carnival once and hated it (awful food), when it was time to try cruising again i debated between RCCL and NCL. i picked NCL, and we've chosen to stay loyal, as at the end of the day they are all essentially the same. ive debated booking the MSC Seaside next year as their yacht club is quite attractive (and around $1600 less than NCL Haven) but we probably wont as the included drinks are not as extensive as NCL's included drinks.

My SO and I would like to take a cruise over Thanksgiving. We have been on Carnival and RC but not Norwegian. I found, what I think is a really good deal for a trip on the Norwegian Pearl, but I know very little about this cruise line.

Can you all help me out and tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly?! We need to book by April 9th :o:o

Thank you!

Why do you need to book so quickly? This version of the Free at Sea Promotion - where you would get the drink package - runs until April 10th but it has been going on for a couple years now. It will probably get extended. Note that you have to pay the 18% gratuity on the package if you are in the U.S. but since you were going to buy the package you would have to pay that anyway.

With the NCL Free at Sea, they sometimes change the other offers so I will tell you to do mock bookings to see what the price is for your cabin with various promos. Inside cabins you get to pick 1 promo. If you book Oceanview or Higher you can pick 2 promos and sometimes the difference between Inside & Oceanview is minimal & gets you that additional perk.

Why do you need to book so quickly? This version of the Free at Sea Promotion - where you would get the drink package - runs until April 10th but it has been going on for a couple years now. It will probably get extended. Note that you have to pay the 18% gratuity on the package if you are in the U.S. but since you were going to buy the package you would have to pay that anyway.

With the NCL Free at Sea, they sometimes change the other offers so I will tell you to do mock bookings to see what the price is for your cabin with various promos. Inside cabins you get to pick 1 promo. If you book Oceanview or Higher you can pick 2 promos and sometimes the difference between Inside & Oceanview is minimal & gets you that additional perk.

I found it through Expedia and the offer says it ends Aoril 9th. I am sure there will be more promos but I would hate to miss out and not get the drink package specifically. Plus the price itself is pretty decent ($580 per person) which is the same as some other cruise lines we looked at without the drink package perk.

I did think about the oceanview for the shore excursion perk but we are barely in the room so the interior would be fine for us, though I would love to win the lottery and get us a balcony :p

We are platinum on Carnival and NCL and have also sailed Princess. I agree that Carnival and NCL are more similar than different. Carnival cabins are slightly larger, but NCL are configured better. I prefer NCL bathrooms. We think the food is better on Carnival, unless you are eating in a specialty restaurant. We order room service for breakfast and both are free (unless you order a hot breakfast on NCL and it is a $7.95 charge.) Otherwise, Carnival has free room service items and also items you can order for a cost. NCL charges for room service, $7.95, for as much as you order.

Carnival docks at better locations in Cozumel and Roatan, NCL has their private island.

Our experience has been that the Carnival staff is friendlier and more proactive with requests, but NCL staff is fine (in fact our BEST room steward was on NCL).

We generally sail out of New Orleans except for special cruises and pick based on which deal is better. We were on the NCL Dawn in January and will be on the Carnival Dream next week.

BTW, once the ship leaves New Orleans it is an 8 hour trip down the river to reach the gulf. You really get to see the Mississippi and how it winds around. One of our favorite things to do is sit on our balcony with a beverage and just enjoy the trip for a few hours before going to dinner.

I found it through Expedia and the offer says it ends Aoril 9th. I am sure there will be more promos but I would hate to miss out and not get the drink package specifically. Plus the price itself is pretty decent ($580 per person) which is the same as some other cruise lines we looked at without the drink package perk.

I did think about the oceanview for the shore excursion perk but we are barely in the room so the interior would be fine for us, though I would love to win the lottery and get us a balcony :p

I would book that deal ASAP if you're serious about it. The NCL website is starting at $859 for Inside cabin currently. As you know, you'll have to prepay the gratuities on the drink package (about $100pp for the week), but well worth it even for light drinkers.

I would book that deal ASAP if you're serious about it. The NCL website is starting at $859 for Inside cabin currently. As you know, you'll have to prepay the gratuities on the drink package (about $100pp for the week), but well worth it even for light drinkers.

I just booked!!!!!:D:D

Oh wow you got a great deal!!

For us it is

Royal Caribbean

NCL

Carnival

The only advantage of Carnival is larger staterooms and nice robes.

Royal in my opinion has more interesting features for active cruisers. Food (in MDR) is also slightly better on Royal over NCL on average.

But you need to compare ships too. Apples to apples.

For us it is

Royal Caribbean

NCL

Carnival

The only advantage of Carnival is larger staterooms and nice robes.

Royal in my opinion has more interesting features for active cruisers. Food (in MDR) is also slightly better on Royal over NCL on average.

But you need to compare ships too. Apples to apples.

People will rank them depending on what they like.

I would make it...

1. NCL

2. RCCL

3. Celebrity

4. Carnival

5. HAL

I would actually slip MSC ahead of RCCL, given that their Yacht Club (lux ship within a ship) is about the same price as a Royal Superior Ocean Balcony. And, their lone ship sailing out of the U.S. is new and gorgeous.

But, they only have one ship sailing (Divina). They have another one coming, but they have nothing out of NO.

Looks like you already booked. I'm sure you'll have fun.

We have sailed Disney, Carnival and now NCL.

NCL was great, Service has been very good, food has been over all very good, drink package has been nice. For the time being they are our cruise line of choice. While we have not been on the ship you are looking at, if they are the same across the fleet you cant go wrong.

Royal... We have not sailed with them yet... Probably this Thanksgiving !

Disney was great, service was amazing... Price not so much (plus my bar bill was huge... )

Carnival we had a good cruise or so, food was not good, and our last trip with them was horrid. Quite possibly the worst vacation we have had. We will never travel with them again. Customer service is the last priority they have.

People will rank them depending on what they like.

I would make it...

1. NCL

2. RCCL

3. Celebrity

4. Carnival

5. HAL

I would actually slip MSC ahead of RCCL, given that their Yacht Club (lux ship within a ship) is about the same price as a Royal Superior Ocean Balcony. And, their lone ship sailing out of the U.S. is new and gorgeous.

But, they only have one ship sailing (Divina). They have another one coming, but they have nothing out of NO.

Looks like you already booked. I'm sure you'll have fun.

Well then mine are

Princess

Celebrity

Royal, MSC

NCL

Carnival

HAL is still under investigation. We feel that it should be up there with Celebrity, but haven't have enough experience.

But there should be ship by ship comparison, and comparison by categories. Some lines have the best food, but entertainment is not so much. Some ships have great atmosphere, but pool areas are lacking etc.