Using insurance

moonvine

Hi all,

My best friend has cancer (just diagnosed) and I had booked us a cruise for October previous to diagnosis. I bought the insurance - if the doctor says she is too sick can we get our money back or just for her (I don't want to go without her). If the doctor says she can't go, we are staying, if he says she can go, we are going...

The travel insurance policies I have used cover the illness of the travel companion but it also that they both must have the same home address. Please check the policies before the cruise cancellation date if you live at different addresses.

I booked a cruise for October and I am able to cancel until sometime in July, without penalty. Unless you purchased through early saver you should be able to also????

I could cancel it but I'm trying to give her something to look forward to.

https://www.carnival.com/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/vacation-protection-201205pdf.ashx

It looks to me that if you need to cancel because of your travel companion's illness, then (if you are both covered) you would both receive a refund of the non-refundable portion of your cruise fare.

That means, if you booked ES and you cancel outside of the final payment window, you would each receive your $50 back. If you are inside of the final payment window, it would be whatever the cancellation penalty is.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3401

I could cancel it but I'm trying to give her something to look forward to.

I don't think you answered who you booked insurance through. You'll have to look at the terms of your policy but you'll def want to do that before the cancellation period kicks in. Almost certainly, if the insurance was for the full cost of the trip for both of you; if her doctor says she's unable to go due to medical issues the full cruise cost will be covered. But you need to check your policy asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums