Did you know Celebrity can "bump" you from your cabin?

p18750

Although he booked a guarantee a month before sailing, it doesn't give Celebrity the right to act as they did. They were quite willing to accept full payment for his booking, but then they kicked him to the curb because someone at X screwed up. I've booked cruises 16 days before sailing, paid the full fare, as is required, and never did it occur to me that I would be kicked off that sailing after full payment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Although he booked a guarantee a month before sailing, it doesn't give Celebrity the right to act as they did. They were quite willing to accept full payment for his booking, but then they kicked him to the curb because someone at X screwed up. I've booked cruises 16 days before sailing, paid the full fare, as is required, and never did it occur to me that I would be kicked off that sailing after full payment

So, what would you suggest? They can't sail with even one person more than the max so should they cancel the whole cruise or make a deal with someone. He took the deal they offered. Someone made a mistake, and I hate to tell you this, but they have every right. Read your contract next time.

I don't know about you but every time I check in with Celebrity they ask me how I'm arriving to and leaving the ship. I would imagine that if there is a problem that might be one of the things taken into consideration as far as making a decision as to who to whom they would make an offer. If I were in charge , it would. So would the timing of when the cruise was first booked, if one had a guarantee, if one was travelling with others, etc. As with most travel situations they make offers until someone accepts.

So if you pay the request money at the appropriate time, depending on what your return plans are, you may be bumped - great! You have no idea of the circumstances of those pax that you would bump because they have not completed their return plans - I'll pass on booking at your cruise company should you decide to perhaps buy the 2 M class ships for sale.

There is a lot of contrariness going on but it's not from me. You made this statement even though you have no idea what happened. The man wasn't "kicked off", he took a deal that was offered. Maybe he regrets it now. Everyone goes completely nuts when they don't even have any facts to go on. Your statement is pure speculation and it sounds to me that you are the one spouting what someone's legal rights are, not me. I know it's the era of instant gratification, but it really is a lot more sensible to take a breath and try to work things out before hitting the public message boards. That's all.

Everyone is making big deal out of this even though it's highly unlikely it will ever happen to them. The people with the problems seem to have been taken care of.

As the man bumped I WAS KICKED OFF.

I HAD to take the deal or lose over $7000 in return fees and hotels and euro train package . What would you have me do?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I HAD to take the deal or lose over $7000 in return fees and hotels and euro train package . What would you have me do?

It's horrible customer service, I am so sorry this happened to you. And I do want to thank you for bringing this problem to the forum. Everyone should know that this is happening and that it could happen to anyone.

I am seriously considering of putting them on my do not use list. No trip is worth the stress these passengers have gone through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can and does happen on every single cruise line. As spelled out in contracts, they have a right to do it.

It stinks, and perhaps there are better ways of dealing with it, but it happens. We still have no idea where or how the screw up actually occured. Agencies are known to fail in making deadlines more often than you know.

Say you make your final payment to your TA two weeks before its actually due. The agency will usually hang on to it until the final date and sometimes miss that too.

I am so sorry you have gone through this. You have every right to be angry. Hopefully you can find a way to enjoy this trip.

Unfotunately, you were placed in a very diffucult position that could have been greatly alleviated had you elected to insure yourself against a cancellation (whether it was the result of a massive mistake by the cruiseline, your own personal circumstances, or something else.)

No one thinks this is ever going to happen to them, and although rare, the possibility is there.

So am I understanding correctly that two separate reservations were bumped (seems like others acccepted a deal - which is a common oversell strategy)?

I would like to encourage all of you who are concerned about this situation to please call Celebrity to voice your feelings. They are aware of the coverage this is getting here on CC, and are keeping track the number of calls and the concerns voiced in them. I also made them take down my name and customer ID# so I would counted as a someone with a long history of sailing with Celebrity.

Additionally, I want to apologize to the posters who have shared their experiences of being bumped with the rest of us. They were subjected to the worst customer service possible from Celebrity and then had to put up with a really obnoxious CC member as an additional insult. I am very sorry for everything you have been through. I hope you will have wonderful vacations despite all this.

I can think of a lot of things, none of which matter now. Sorry to everyone for trying to be a voice of reason. I didn't mean to antagonize anyone. Hope you enjoy both your cruises.

I have seen references to travel insurance in this thread. While I'm not positive I don't think this comes under the conditions that the typical travel insurance would cover. It's the cruise lines responsibility and probably all they are required to do is refund your cruise fare.

It can and does happen on every single cruise line. As spelled out in contracts, they have a right to do it.

It stinks, and perhaps there are better ways of dealing with it, but it happens. We still have no idea where or how the screw up actually occured. Agencies are known to fail in making deadlines more often than you know.

Say you make your final payment to your TA two weeks before its actually due. The agency will usually hang on to it until the final date and sometimes miss that too.

I am so sorry you have gone through this. You have every right to be angry. Hopefully you can find a way to enjoy this trip.

Unfotunately, you were placed in a very diffucult position that could have been greatly alleviated had you elected to insure yourself against a cancellation (whether it was the result of a massive mistake by the cruiseline, your own personal circumstances, or something else.)

No one thinks this is ever going to happen to them, and although rare, the possibility is there.

So am I understanding correctly that two separate reservations were bumped (seems like others acccepted a deal - which is a common oversell strategy)?

Yes they have every "right". However, we as passengers expect to obtain what we paid for. I am seriously considering of putting them on my do not use list. No trip is worth the stress these passengers have gone through.

I figured for clarification, I would use the full quote you edited.

Secondly, why are you attacking the victim? Now it's about not having travel insurance.

Third, I am well aware of unplanned itinerary changes, full vessel cancelations etc. things can come up at the last minute. But I never would expect to receive an email 5 days prior to my cruise, telling me I don't have a cabin. That type of service is not in any way my definition of Modern Luxury.

I am sure this may have happened on other cruise lines, but the protocol on how a few of these cases were handled are unacceptable.

For the price I pay on X, as a SOLO, I can get deals on Azamara or take two cruises on other mainstream lines. So yes I expect more.

I figured for clarification, I would use the full quote you edited.

Secondly, why are you attacking the victim? Now it's about not having travel insurance.

Third, I am well aware of unplanned itinerary changes, full vessel cancelations etc. things can come up at the last minute. But I never would expect to receive an email 5 days prior to my cruise, telling me I don't have a cabin. That type of service is not in any way my definition of Modern Luxury.

I am sure this may have happened on other cruise lines, but the protocol on how a few of these cases were handled are unacceptable.

For the price I pay on X, as a SOLO, I can get deals on Azamara or take two cruises on other mainstream lines. So yes I expect more.

First - I'm not sure what the part i edited out has to do with your point. No argument here that the poster did not get what he paid for.

Secondly - "Attack" is a very strong word and totally unecessary.

I hope my post saves one other cruiser from being in a situation of having to settle for a crummy deal, or losing a great deal of money.

Perhaps you missed this: I am so sorry you have gone through this. You have every right to be angry. Hopefully you can find a way to enjoy this trip. ...

It stinks, and perhaps there are better ways of dealing with it, but it happens. We still have no idea where or how the screw up actually occured.

Do you know exactly what happened? I sure don't.

Third - You do realize that if you take your business to Azamara you are basically still dealing with the same company?

First - I'm not sure what the part i edited out has to do with your point. No argument here that the poster did not get what he paid for.

Secondly - "Attack" is a very strong word and totally unecessary.

I hope my post saves one other cruiser from being in a situation of having to settle for a crummy deal, or losing a great deal of money.

Perhaps you missed this: I am so sorry you have gone through this. You have every right to be angry. Hopefully you can find a way to enjoy this trip. ...

It stinks, and perhaps there are better ways of dealing with it, but it happens. We still have no idea where or how the screw up actually occured.

Do you know exactly what happened? I sure don't.

Third - You do realize that if you take your business to Azamara you are basically still dealing with the same company?

Words are strong, but if I had been the person bumped that's the word I would of used.

Of course I realize that, but have been told it's a much better product.

It was just an example.

Furthermore, your apology is totally unnecessary. You did not bump him off the cruise and or cabin. However, it gave you the right to harp on travel insurance.

We should all be outraged at what happened. I go back no trip is worth this kind of stress. Don't sell me Modern Luxury and give me an anxiety attack 5 days prior.

It's not worth it. No one will ever know the full story and many will choose to believe what suits their narrative. All I can say is from years of experience, Celebrity usually tends to go almost too far to make people happy. One example. My last TA we were in an aft suite and the ship was having slight emission problems which caused a slight odor and some soot for a couple of days. It wasn't really that offensive but some people complained and were offered certificates for discounts on their next cruise. I didn't complain but was also offered the certificates. I said not necessary and didn't take them. I've also found that giving them a chance to rectify something without going off the deep end usually results in a much better outcome.

That the cruise line one week before your cruise could tell you they do not have a cabin for you even though your cabin was assigned or guarantee is very disturbing. I hope it never happens again to any other cruiser. Also not to those who in this thread seem to be trying to justify Celebrity for doing so.

If you are in the U.K. and need to claim on your travel insurance you would not usually get it all back, we usually have to pay an excess. Also with house/car insurance making a claim makes a big difference to the cost of your next policy, I am not sure about travel insurance as I have never claimed but worth looking into.

Personally I don't understand why cruise companies overbook. They have had the money for the cabin, possibly they are worried about drinks etc but some people do not book celebrity tours or drink very much alcohol. Total unacceptable in my view.

Who should we get in touch with at celebrity if we want to discuss this.

I've been following this thread now for a couple of days and am still at a loss as to how this occurred. I've been on this board for 10 yrs and have been sailing X for longer than that and have yet to hear of this happening. The worst I'd read to this point is someone "losing" their cabin and finding out they were is a different cabin/category than they had originally booked.

While I'm sure the X contract has wording that allows them to "bump" passengers I've not heard of that happening. Rather than speculate, let's hope that Celebrity Official comes and comments on the reasons behind this. I suspect (but have no proof) this was caused by the "excellent" Celebrity website but who knows.

That the cruise line one week before your cruise could tell you they do not have a cabin for you even though your cabin was assigned or guarantee is very disturbing. I hope it never happens again to any other cruiser. Also not to those who in this thread seem to be trying to justify Celebrity for doing so.

IMHO, the salient points are.:

The people who reported on this thread were not "asked" if they were willing to be bumped. They reported that they were just told that their cabins were no longer available and what their remuneration would be. (Most companies look for volunteers before resorting to involuntary bumping.)

We do not know the actual number of people who were involuntarily bumped. Only a small number of passengers post on Cruise Critic.

This type of cancellation normally is not covered by insurance - unless you have Cancel For Any Reason travel insurance, which is very costly.

We need another post from Celebrity. We all need to understand why this happened for this cruise, what criteria were used in this selection process, and why Celebrity didn't first send emails to all passengers asking for volunteers (with their offer for remuneration) before resorting to involuntary bumping. We need to be reassured that this won't happen to us on future cruises and what steps Celebrity is taking to avoid this type of problem in the future. Celebrity does not need to be overly specific, but could certainly tell us if it was an IT problem, a problem with a TA with a block of cabins who didn't communicate which cabins they sold to Celebrity, an overbooking problem, an employee error, etc.

The people who reported on this thread were not "asked" if they were willing to be bumped. They reported that they were just told that their cabins were no longer available and what their remuneration would be. (Most companies look for volunteers before resorting to involuntary bumping.)

We do not know the actual number of people who were involuntarily bumped. Only a small number of passengers post on Cruise Critic.

This type of cancellation normally is not covered by insurance - unless you have Cancel For Any Reason travel insurance, which is very costly.

We need another post from Celebrity. We all need to understand why this happened for this cruise, what criteria were used in this selection process, and why Celebrity didn't first send emails to all passengers asking for volunteers (with their offer for remuneration) before resorting to involuntary bumping. We need to be reassured that this won't happen to us on future cruises and what steps Celebrity is taking to avoid this type of problem in the future. Celebrity does not need to be overly specific, but could certainly tell us if it was an IT problem, a problem with a TA with a block of cabins who didn't communicate which cabins they sold to Celebrity, an overbooking problem, an employee error, etc.

Well said

If you cruise often enough you will encounter some inconveniences during your cruise. We had a cabin flooded out and you had some odor and soot while on board. The operative words in those cases are that we were ON BOARD. Nothing can equate those experiences to those of the posters in this thread who had cabins assigned and boarding documents in hand and suddenly being told three days out that their assigned cabins were no longer theirs. Nothing is worse than that!

Well,we don't know everyone was taken care of ,do we? We really don't know the extent of what occurred. I would not call the passenger who had to get off in another port and rearrange his itinerary "well looked after". I think the point that all these posters are making is that those affected were not well looked after. Perhaps to you it is not the worst that could happen but for those with mobility or health issues it caused considerable pain.a lot of Celebrity cruisers fall into that group. A lot who book trans-Atlantic are seniors(I've been on two)because they have the extra time for the cruise. I would think Celebrity would know that,as many of us on these boards do. I think it's the time frame that is so odd and still no explanation given. Just my opinion.

Sounds like you did the best you could . Sorry you were treated so poorly . Ignore the celebrity apologists .

Yep , very well said .Your 3 points are spot on .

[quote

[/font]""""

We need to be reassured that this won't happen to us on future cruises and what steps Celebrity is taking to avoid this type of problem in the future. Celebrity does not need to be overly specific, but could certainly tell us if it was an IT problem, a problem with a TA with a block of cabins who didn't communicate which cabins they sold to Celebrity, an overbooking problem, an employee error, etc.

"

Spot on!

Please believe everything you are reading on this thread. Celebrity is a company and due to the zillion page cruise contract we all agree to when we book our cruises, they can do as they please. I think it is difficult for us to believe because we LOVE Celebrity. It is hard for us to accept when they show us that they DO NOT feel the same about us. They bump us from fully paid, assigned cabins with days notice. They cancel our Spring Break cruise with 2 weeks notice, offer an apology and a full refund and nothing more.

I was booked on the Summit cruise that was completely cancelled with 2 weeks notice. Yes, it was a shock. It was stressful and expensive to find a replacement spring cruise. We found one and sailed NCL Escape last week. We had a nice time.

Now we are back and still have NO refund. It has been over 3 weeks now and many of us don't have our money back. That is just among CC members, who knows about the rest of the passengers? We paid our money in good faith for a cruise leaving April 8th. On March 24th, Celebrity decided that trip would not happen......they told us refunds would take 1 to 3 weeks to process.......

Forget about my misplaced loyalty to Celebrity. I know better now. I just want my money. Celebrity has my money and I want it back.