If you couldn't cruise Carnival, who would you cruise with?

Riles34

I've been on 6 cruises all with Carnival and have never had anything bad to say. (I refuse to be a victim) I am curious as to what other cruise line would have the same style and vibe as CCL so I can branch out. This is the place to ask all the experienced cruisers after all. I mainly cruise the Caribbean as I live in Vermont and need the warm blue ocean.

We, too have 6 Carnival cruises under our belt. We recently cruised with family members on NCL. I was prepared not to like it because I'm so used to Carnival. We did enjoy it, so it's worth a try. We are booked on a Princess cruise later this year. We did cruise RCL once which was ok, too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The only other line I've looked at was Royal Caribbean but I find their site so awful and hard to navigate I didn't 'look' for long. I live in Texas and I'd probably try any line that left out of Galveston. I've flown to Orlando for a cruise and it was so stressful that I'll never fly to a port again when I can drive to good 'ol Galveston. I'd probably never get on a Disney cruise unless it was something for my nephew. I don't have kids and don't really enjoy kids around for my vacation.

NCL. So far, we've cruised Carnival because of price and proximity to ports NY, Boston, & Baltimore. Now the prices have gone up, and no cruises out of Boston, and limited NYC cruises and same old same old Baltimore cruises. NCl has better prices right from our home port and interesting itineraries for us. 2018 & 2019 NCL.

The only other line I've looked at was Royal Caribbean but I find their site so awful and hard to navigate I didn't 'look' for long. I live in Texas and I'd probably try any line that left out of Galveston. I've flown to Orlando for a cruise and it was so stressful that I'll never fly to a port again when I can drive to good 'ol Galveston. I'd probably never get on a Disney cruise unless it was something for my nephew. I don't have kids and don't really enjoy kids around for my vacation.

The website is awful for RCL! Trying to find a cruise is very bland and not very enthusiastic. I want to see pictures of what I would be getting myself in to not a screen from Windows 98. Lol. There is something about RCL that just isn't appealing at this point and it may start with the website. NCL's website is the next stop....

i put RCCL on the same level with Carnival. with Carnival getting the nod for more of a "fun" atmosphere....1/2 click up the chart i put NCL....Princess and Celebrity are a full click up on the chart compared to the other 3 as far as class and refinement....I have never been on Disney, they seem to be the enigma. They are expensive yet they cater to kids. I cannot comment on their cruises as mentioned, havent been on them

I'm all over the place, but these last couple years, i've been leaning more towards Royal Caribbean. Royal Caribbean seems to value repeat customers a little better than Carnival.

That being said, Carnival is a much more active cruise line. I find that there is more to do on Carnival than Royal Caribbean. The energy onboard a Carnival ship is way better than Royal Caribbean. I find passengers connect better on Carnival due to their activity coordination.

Royal Caribbean, though generally costing a little more, focuses their energies on the experience. Royal Caribbean wants to be the innovator. Bumper cars, Ifly, rock climbing, ice skating, zip lining, makes being bored hard. However, I think they depend a little too much on these innovations to entertain so their social activities loses a bit of punch.

Princess's claim to fame is their atmosphere. If you're looking for a romantic getaway with your significant other, Princess is the line that will build it for you. You board their ship and everything seems to cater to couples. Its been a couple years for me, but that's how i felt in 2010.

Celebrity, is similar to Princess, but their claim to fame is more of an intellectual bend. Wine tastings, presentations, classes, seminars. Less romantic, than princess, but still ranks (my honeymoon was on Celebrity.

NCL, I feel is similar to Carnival in many ways as its a very festive atmosphere, but their freestyle is their niche. I haven't been on NCL since before freestyle, so i can't tell you what its like now from personal experience.

Well....that happened to us last August

Wife and I have booked Carnival up until now but last August we booked HAL for our anniversary cruise this coming September. We are sailing to Alaska. Limited itineraries and Tuesday to Tuesday cruises were not keen for us.....

I am another one who will go to NCL. Will still some day cruise on Carnival again perhaps, but at this time NCL is looking good to me. Reasons for me, are the solo studios on the newer ships, prices including beverage package, or wifi, or specialty dining. I also like their Freestyle, ie; go eat whenever you want, and there is a choice of restaurant, not always the same. I am also checking out Celebrity, but so far their prices are not quite getting me. So NCL for me, most likely Epic, Breakaway, Getaway or Escape.

We have sailed only Carnival up to now. I've looked at all the options and I think I will focus on Princess or Celebrity going forward. Costs more than Carnival, but the perks are still there and there are adult-only areas.

Never hurts to try something new!

I have a self-imposed limitation of sailing only from Galveston. I thoroughly enjoyed Princess when they had a ship based there. I have seen a Royal Caribbean behemoth at the port and have no interest in stepping on board that monstrosity.

I would look closely at NCL sailings from Galveston.

I wouldn't let RCCL website scare you away.

We have cruised mostly on Carnival (with a few Disney thrown in) until 2013,when we were on the Triumph and they had that fire (that was an experience). The people we usually cruise with didn't want to sail with Carnival any more, so for the last 3 years we sailed RCCL (out of Galveston, Tampa and Fort Lauderdale). We enjoyed RCCL just as much as Carnival and liked some aspects better.

Any way, after a 3 year break from Carnival, we are trying them again this year hopefully all will be great :cool:

Interesting question, for us the mainline companies would be: Costa, Carnival P & O most similar "relaxed" lines.Next Level: Royal, MSC.

Next Level: Celebrity, Princess.Holland, Viking

From there you are in n the more boutique lines.

We've sailed them all, for us we prefer Celebrity, Azamara, Viking and usually rotate between those three. However, we pick up other lines when find a great itinerary or deal. Big world out there, enjoy it all.

Dee

Solo travel is cheapest on NCL if the ship booked has the studio rooms. NCL is similar to Carnival but with better entertainment. I loved Celebrity, but can only find similar pricing on select sailings. Princess was my Go To for my once in a lifetime Med and Alaskan cruises. Disney is fantastic for multi generational family cruising.

I used to sail Carnival pretty exclusively, but I didn't know what I was missing until I tried other lines.

I don't drink booze, but for those who do, getting a "free" drink package on NCL or Celebrity or RCCL can be less than sailing Carnival and paying for the Cheers pkg. Just have to do your research and price shopping diligence.

Since I travel solo most of the time I go on Carnival it has the best price but I would be willing to try other lines like crystal or celebrity if the price was the same.

Gary

tvtgem

Gary, not going to get them for same price, but you may get a better value for your$. Keep an eye in both Celebrity and MSC for single cabins and rates. May be surprised.

Since I travel solo most of the time I go on Carnival it has the best price but I would be willing to try other lines like crystal or celebrity if the price was the same.

Gary

Have you checked out the NCL ships with solo cabins? If they ever put one of those in New Orleans or Galveston that may be what moves the needle to get me to NCL.

I am going on the Glory April 22,17 the cruise fare including gratuities was 1186 dollars solo in a port hole cabin which is 169.42 dollars per day. You couldn't get a hotel in Ct for that much unless it is a dump. That is why I cruise with carnival. Besides I am Diamond level now.

Gary