Is "Formal" still Formal?

canadarocks

Just a simple answer please. I know better than to start a debate on this topic. ;)

We sailed twice with Holland America this year and their formal evenings are now called Gala and formal dress is optional at the MDR and Specialty restaurants.

Has Princess done the same, or is the MDR dress code still Formal on those nights? (I know that the Specialty restaurants on Princess have always been smart casual on formal nights.)

:*

Just a simple answer please. I know better than to start a debate on this topic. ;)

We sailed twice with Holland America this year and their formal evenings are now called Gala and formal dress is optional at the MDR and Specialty restaurants.

Has Princess done the same, or is the MDR dress code still Formal on those nights? (I know that the Specialty restaurants on Princess have always been smart casual on formal nights.)

Yes, Princess still has formal night in the MDR. While very few people actually dress "formal", ie tails, gowns, etc, most people adhere to the dress code with some level of respect - you'll see everything from tuxes and cocktail or long dress to suits and cocktail or nice dresses to dress pants, sport coats, tie or no tie, and ladies in black pants sparkly tops, etc. It's not formal in the true sense, but still dressed up compared to other nights, for the most part. It is only the MDR, not the whole ship.

Enjoy.

Yes, Princess still has formal night in the MDR. While very few people actually dress "formal", ie tails, gowns, etc, most people adhere to the dress code with some level of respect - you'll see everything from tuxes and cocktail or long dress to suits and cocktail or nice dresses to dress pants, sport coats, tie or no tie, and ladies in black pants sparkly tops, etc. It's not formal in the true sense, but still dressed up compared to other nights, for the most part. It is only the MDR, not the whole ship.
I agree 100%. The vast majority respect the dress request. I rarely see gentlemen without at least a suit or jacket on formal nights. On longer cruises, there are quite a few gentlemen with tuxes.

Princess calls it a formal night and many people still do participate by dressing up BUT the enforcement for actual formal clothing is almost non existent since even in their suggestions it says it not a true requirement. They leave it up to the people in the DR how formal or casual they want to make it unless of course they want to wear shorts. ;)

Oh I hope not..... that's why I specifically said "Question Answered"!

If it keeps going and you want it to stop you can click the little triangle in the upper corner of the post to "report" the thread and, as the OP, you can request that the thread be locked.