Help! I'm on a diet

fastnloose

Most of the time we have a table for 2, so we can control whats at the table. We take one roll each and the bread basket leaves the table. We prearrange celery sticks each night. If it's a pasta dish or something large, we ask the waiter to take half off our plate before he brings it to the table. WE forsake the beverage package and limit our liquor intake to by the glass. There are obvious exceptions, but our weight gain is usually a pound or two after we rid ourselves of the high levels of slats in our body from the water intake onboard

Many thanks to you all for your help and advice. I WILL try and hopefully not too much of an increase in poundage! Happy cruising everyone xx

You're on holiday... but you know your plan, so do all the hard work before you go.. relax and have a great time while you enjoy everything your cruise offers you. Then just pick up the pieces when you get back home. Life is too short to diet on a cruise.!!

You're on holiday... but you know your plan, so do all the hard work before you go.. relax and have a great time while you enjoy everything your cruise offers you. Then just pick up the pieces when you get back home. Life is too short to diet on a cruise.!!

What Swampduck said.

As a big guy who is always on and off diets I have

Found it is easy to maintain your weight while enjoying the cruise if you make sure to excercise every day Go to the gym, in my case I just walk for 50-60 minutes each day. When you combine that will all the walking you do to just get around you should be ok if you don't over eat. Just try to eat fruits and lower calorie stuff for breakfast, eats a normal sensible lunch and then enjoy the regular dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...

What does the fitness center on stolstice have in terms of free weights? I don't mean machines. How heavy do the dumbells go? Do they have kettlebells and if so how heavy? Any preset weight bars? I saw those on a couple of NCL ships.

I enjoy a fresh salad for lunch. The.buffet has great fixins; and flavorful oil and vinegar..as an alternative to fatty dressing.

Takes some work putting it together but worth it...Also great salad dinner entrees if you are assigned in BLU.

I always ask for double veggies, and baked potato..eat half and skip the breads!

I do the same for lunch. Big plate of greens and leave off the beans and cheese. Get a light vinaigrette on the side and just dip. Get a grilled salmon or chicken breast for protein. You're right it takes a bit more effort, to walk around the Oceanview. In the restaurants I have many times asked for a big plate of lettuce and a grilled chicken on the side. It's something they have an abundance of, so it's no big deal. Often they want to bring me breads and cheese and I just smile and decline.

We like Luminae's burger. I have never had the bun or the fries. Just ask them to leave them off. I love the Mast Grill burger. Always get it plain, hold the fries, and make a big lettuce salad. I do put guacamole on it (run into the Oceanview for that) and the mushrooms. Things like asking for a large serving of broccoli, or steamed green beans and NO potatoes or bread or rice. It's how I've eaten on the last few cruises, and with a lot of walking and active excursions I usually stay the same or even go down a pound of two in a two week cruise. My weakness is a martini before dinner and a small glass of wine WITH dinner. The rest of the time ALL I drink is water.

I also never salt my food and don't let them put sauces on.

Forget skipping desert. I have been a type 2 diabetic for 18 years now and we have been enjoying cruises for the past 12 years. I watch what I eat, skip some of the sweeter sauces and go lighter on the breads but when it comes to desert, they always have some nice offerings like apple pie or a chocolate cake that I can enjoy because the portions are small and we do a lot of walking every day, even on a sea day. Cruise ship portions are normally on the small side so that is an advantage to those of us who diet, count carbs etc. You can really enjoy the food with out over indulging.

This was on a Princess cruise.... I was on a super strict low-fat, heart healthy diet so I made arrangements ahead of time with the dietary department at Princess. Every night someone came to my table and took my special order. In the MDR, I had a week full of grilled chicken, fish, and any grilled veggies that I wanted. At lunchtime in the buffet or MDR, I was careful and watched what I ate. It can be done.

I was recently on Millie where the Chef and Pastry Chef did an outstanding job in preparing meals nightly for me. I Am a low fat vegan and left the choices up to them, just no repeats... each night I had a five (5) course fantastic meal!!!

The best food ever, so much so that the other five (5) in my party opted several nights to have what I had....

bon voyage

Hi it's really easy to do sw on celebrity. I lost 5lb on a Xmas cruise and don't give up alcohol. The ocean view cafe and mdr are your friend. There's a big selection of fruit, boiled eggs, English bacon to trim the fat off etc. The salad bar, lots of grilled steak and chicken. The mdr will switch out foods for you, so it may say served with mash, ask them to switch for a jacket no butter and I ask for a dish of steamed veg. The gym and the walking done on ports is great. At the grill I ask for no bread or get the turkey burger and the aqua spa cafe is fabulous too for food. I go for water in the day and the vitamin zero or diet soda and when I want a drink I go for a spirit with diet tonic but don't count them. Good luck, even if you get away with putting on a couple of lbs you will soon get it off again. Ps keep away from the guacamole, not only is it 14 syns per avocado they add oil to it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can easily go on a cruise and not gain weight. Just eat sensibly (most of the time) and exercise. Honestly I think it would be easier to eat healthy on a ship rather than at home. The only downside is there is so much "bad" food all over the temptation can be great.

But, you can get all sorts of great healthy food cooked to order. Salads galore, salmon almost everywhere, grilled chicken, tons of veggies. And you don't have to cook any of them :)

Like others said though, don't forget to take advantage of some of the other offerings that might not be so healthy, just don't go overboard (pun intended).

enjoy

We have a cruise upcoming (2 weeks tomorrow) and I have been on my first ever diet (LL) and I've done really well (lost 3st:D )so don't want to mess it up by overeating.

My plan is to avoid the bread basket (which will be tough as I love the cheese topped bread rolls Royal do!).

Have fish, chicken, meat and veg and less/no pasta and potatoes with my evening meal, Sauce on the side.

We also are savory people and therefore don't have the desserts too often in the buffet or MDR.

I'm also going to try to have either breakfast or lunch and then dinner rather than 3 meals plus snacks and again have salads and proteins, luckily I'm not a chip fan either.

I'm going with a good mind set, a plan to manage and my new smaller sized clothes and body to keep me on track.

I know I'll pop on a few pounds as expected and I am a fan of the snacks in the evening in the DL ;p

Avoiding the bread basket is great advice. We eat very little bread at home, but I can't resist it on a cruise. I try to stick to the bread sticks if available.

Avoiding the bread basket is great advice. We eat very little bread at home, but I can't resist it on a cruise. I try to stick to the bread sticks if available.

The OP posted this in April and was going on a cruise 2 weeks later.

But to add to it we found that the bread sticks are just as bad as the bread.

Would like to find out their results.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

The OP posted this in April and was going on a cruise 2 weeks later.

But to add to it we found that the bread sticks are just as bad as the bread.

Would like to find out their results.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Oh well.............. LOL!

To Fastnloose, if in spite of all the excellent advice above, you find you do gain weight on your cruise, don't beat yourself up. First, the weight gain might be due to all the extra sodium in the prepared food. That water weight will vanish really fast, in just a few days in fact.

Second, even if the weight gain is due to a few diet slip ups and fun indulgences, don't despair. Just get right back on the stick and start your diet again. It will just be a little setback. It is extremely hard to be fanatically pure on a diet for a lengthy amount of time, especially on vacation.

Just "stay calm and diet on" once you get home.

We have tried all kinds of diets. My DH was in love with low carb, thinking this would be the perfect diet for about 3 years. He did it low fat as well. Nothing worked until he started counting calories. Part of the problem was hypothyroidism - since medicated it helps, but the caloric count was the key and it is what makes a difference.

If the dinner is horrible, don't eat it and eat dessert or a pretty drink instead. Don't skip a meal, but eat what you crave in a small amount if it is high calorie. We don't gain on cruises anymore because we are really picky about what we feel is worth the calories. Sometimes it is pizza, burger, wine, beer or a fun drink. I don't eat bad food (stuff that is just so so or not what I want/like) any more, because I don't have to live to eat. I eat fried food sometimes, but my body counters with veggies like steamed broccoli. I feel better than I ever have.

And all this talk of dieting......a couple of days before my sister passed away she said "I can't believe I dieted my entire life...."

There's a balance to everything.

So sad but true for many of us, that quote should make you stop and think !!! Balance is the key.

luvstosail

Boston, Ma.

Congratulations on your diet and hope you are successful on limiting any damage from a cruise.

I recently lost 30 pounds and was very careful on our last cruise. We were on a B2B for 30 days and an additional 15 day land tour at the end of the cruise. I was able to maintain my weight during the vacation and really wasn't all that difficult -

What I did- You may wish to use what works for you.

1 Ate fish for most of my dinners and really enjoyed the variety that was presented.

2. Most meals I would cut in half when first delivered - I would only eat half and chose instead to have a desert.

3. Tried not to snack between meals

4. Walked laps on the ship and averaged 10 miles per day.

5. Worked out 30-40 minutes daily on the Elliptical.

6. Limited my visits to the free ice cream to every other day. (I'm addicted to ice cream).

7. Used stairs instead of elevators

8. Ate a small breakfast as oppose to a full breakfast I usually eat on a cruise.

9 Slowed down while eating to try to feel satisfied prior to over eating.

I'm sure we are all different on how we eat and put on weight. I'm a fast eater and have a tendency of eating what ever is in front of me and don't feel full until after finished eating.

I've lost 34 pounds on WW and on our cruise I plan on just eating what I want, but making better decisions, mostly about portion control. I know if I do gain a few pounds, I can take them right back off.

I lost 40 lbs on WW, and have kept it off (well, mostly) for 3 yrs now. Last cruise I just used the stairs more and ate fewer deserts.

I think I only put on a couple of pounds. What did it for me was the dresses I had formal nights - if I gained much, they wouldn't have fit. :o