Medical evacuation underway at Labadee

The copter can cost 50k plus depending where you are picked up and going to....I would assume, the copter take them to the nearest hospital which would be one of the many hospitals in Haiti.

Or Dominican Republic or Turks and Caicos?

I wonder where the copter is taking them for care??

At least one recent report had the patient/Passengers going to the Dominican Republic. Not sure what factors may be involved in choosing, if there is a choice.

:confused:

You do realize that people being transported to hospitals isn't an uncommon occurrence... right?

It really does! Last 4 cruises I was on Nov/Dec which was B2B2B2B 2 of which we had to speed up to get passenger care the ship couldn't provide. Also Interesting that they built Helo pads on newer ships and the rescues/evacs I've seen Helicopter doesn't land on pad, they just lower the basket to the ships deck like they do on ships without pads. I've been on 5 ships was done.

We were on this exact cruise and I have video of the helicopter landing on the pier. One question we had is, why does the helicopter land on the pier vs on the actual ship...is the helipad on the ship only when at sea? Sorry if this is an ignorant question but it was spurred by watching the very narrow landing area the helicopter was working with amongst some pretty good crosswinds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on a Carnival (never again) cruise last September and there were 5 medical emergencies including 2 deaths on board. We were met by helicopters and boats. Last one was the final night while cruising up the river to New Orleans. Stopped for a helicopter. We've had cruises with emergencies before but never that many in one cruise.

Helicopters will always try to avoid landing on a ship because, even on calm waters, the ship still moves a bit and that makes it more risky. In fact, there are special maneuvers just to land on a ship (I think it was moving next to the helipad - as in port and startboard - and then hovering sideways, but it's too long since I last reviewed that stuff). That's why the pier is the best choice.

We were on this exact cruise and I have video of the helicopter landing on the pier. One question we had is, why does the helicopter land on the pier vs on the actual ship...is the helipad on the ship only when at sea? Sorry if this is an ignorant question but it was spurred by watching the very narrow landing area the helicopter was working with amongst some pretty good crosswinds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It just depends

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=234212&d=1337636991

Also Interesting that they built Helo pads on newer ships and the rescues/evacs I've seen Helicopter doesn't land on pad, they just lower the basket to the ships deck like they do on ships without pads. I've been on 5 ships was done.

Just an fyi, helicopter landed on Harmony helipad this past January while out at sea, so I guess it does happen on rare occasions

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=52068166&highlight=helicopter#post52068166

The Dominican Republic would be my second guess...I would assume they fly to the nearest hospital which should be Haiti, but possibly Dominican Republic.

When we were in Labadee last year there was also a medical evacuation from the ship. We were held back from proceeding while the helicopter landed. I asked the officer while we waited where they usually took people from this location and he said that it may vary due to the circumstances, but usually they were taken to the Dominican Republic.