room location and walking, your preference...

Today, I changed our room location on our upcoming navigator of the seas cruise. Previously, we had a balcony room on the 10th deck all the way aft. We liked being on the 10th deck because we enjoy our pool time and being one deck below the pool area is very convenient for us. However, we weren't loving the room location all the way aft. On a cruise, we'll usually poke in and out of the room 2-3x on a sea day while we're lounging by the pool.

I noticed a room on deck 9 nine, immediately around the corner from the stairs, opened up. I made the change, figuring walking the flight of stairs vs trekking to the end of the hall was the better of two evils.

Am I nut? Do other people figure this type of thing into their room location? Would you rather walk down the end of a seemingly long hallway, or walk down an extra flight of stairs?

We like the convenience of the cabins on the hump on the 9th deck. You come off the elevator or stairs hit the hall way and you are right there at your room. There are a lot of times however I find myself walking to the forward elevators because they are generally less crowded than the mid ship elevators! :cool:

On the Feb. Navigator, we had a balcony cabin on the 9th deck and not too far from the elevator. I find the 9th to be easy for my getting to the pool area and the promenade. I take the stairs so it's conducive. However, my wife who has some trouble with walking takes the elevator.

Would you rather walk down the end of a seemingly long hallway, or walk down an extra flight of stairs?

I prefer the long walk, I am a retired Marathoner, but still in decent shape and I like the extra walk to burn off the calories. I think my longest walk was about 100 yards from the aft on Allure to the elevators.

We'll generally go for a hump cabin near the elevators if available. It is indeed nice to be just a few flights of stairs up and down to the action. That said, we don't mind the walking either and will book an aft cabin for the large balcony when the mood strikes:p

There have been a couple of times when I booked a cabin that was a little forward of mid ship and I didn't like the motion I felt. Actually motion bothers me more than my wife. It was a lesson learned.

So now I plan ahead so I can get the location and category I want. Mid ship near the elevators works well for us. On Royal Caribbean, we especially like a hump balcony on Deck 10, so I book as soon as possible.

Cruising is a great way to travel!

Walking is good for you. Actually managed to lose three pounds on my last cruise. Our aft cabin had something to do with that.

yes, walking is good for you but if you have health issues you might appreciate being closer to the elevators. It is a long walk from the elevators all the way to the back of the ship.

oh yea I will change cabins more than once. My recent reservation on Anthem...I started on the 8th deck, a bit aft from the elevators. That was starboard and a good location, but I wanted to be higher. Then I changed to deck 11 near the forward elevators, port side, because I wanted to be port side. I changed to be closer to the aft elevators as it felt closer to where we wanted to be. Then found out that one was right in front of the opening of the elevators/stairways so I changed AGAIN to the exact same cabin I had on deck 8 but this time it was on Deck 11 with a larger balcony. I won't change again unless deck 12 near the elevators becomes available LOL A bit obsessed? Uh yea ;p

oh yea I will change cabins more than once. My recent reservation on Anthem...I started on the 8th deck, a bit aft from the elevators. That was starboard and a good location, but I wanted to be higher. Then I changed to deck 11 near the forward elevators, port side, because I wanted to be port side. I changed to be closer to the aft elevators as it felt closer to where we wanted to be. Then found out that one was right in front of the opening of the elevators/stairways so I changed AGAIN to the exact same cabin I had on deck 8 but this time it was on Deck 11 with a larger balcony. I won't change again unless deck 12 near the elevators becomes available LOL A bit obsessed? Uh yea ;p

HAHAHA good to know someone else does this just as much as I do!

I like being aft- it has been most convenient on the ships I have been on. Once on a Carnival ship, we had an aft cabin on deck 6, which was great for us because the promenade level was just one flight of stairs down and the lido buffet was 9 aft. So we could either walk up the stairs or take the aft elevators which were empty.

I don't like forward cabins at all because of the movement. Mid ship is good I guess, but I really prefer aft.

We never consider the length of walks on ships since in our view all ships are small in the scheme of things and so all distances are short. If we had mobility issues it would be different but we're all capable of walking a few hundred meters along the flat without it feeling like boot-camp exercise.

The movement on a high deck fully aft might cause us to think but the distance to an xyz activity would never feature. The only exception we've made is on lines with a guest laundry where it's nice to be close for the purposes of popping to the iron early in the morning; having not really left the room it's nice for that sort of thing to be close. Not a considered on RCL though obviously.