Panic Disorder worried about number of passengers on Oasis of the Seas

Disagree with the statement about the Radiance class ships. Sailed on the Serenade last year, and felt it was the most crowded of any ship I have sailed. A few reasons - only one main bank of elevators, unlike the bigger ships that have "double" Hard to explain this but the smaller ships have front and aft elevators, but only one set. The bigger ships have double forward and aft banks.

Many shows were held in the Centrum, which was always crowded. Cafe was in the solarium, always a line and crowded.

Prefer the bigger ships because they are wider. Promenade can be crowded when shops are having sales, parades, etc. but you can avoid them.

Obviously, you have a serious problem. Have you ever cruised? Regardless of the ship, there will be times when it will be crowded. Even the dining rooms can seem crowded - tables are close together.

I do wish you well, and hope you can find a cruise that will work; however , I think any cruise or ship will at times have lines, crowds. I guess it comes down to how serious a problem this is for you. Good luck!

Laura and I just came off Serenade. She made the same comments about the elevator layout. We often went to the forward elevator bank to get around.

T shirt sale on pool deck can be worse than the one on Promenade and they hold it on the same side as the Centrum elevator. Big mistake.

Centrum also crowded for events

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

To OP, in my previous post I forgot to mention muster drill. On a number of ships, including Oasis, the muster drill is held at numerous locations, including dining rooms, theaters, etc. You can request to attend a special muster drill location, no where near as crowded as standing in line on deck. Crew are very supportive and helpful. They will do their very best to accommodate you. Check with special needs ahead of time, or ask at guest services on board.

Good luck and enjoy the cruise! A little planning and common sense and you will be fine. Definitely agree with all the posters who have said how well the Oasis handles crowds.

My husband is trying to plan a cruise for our Anniversary this September. One of the options he came up with was the Oasis of the Seas.

My concern is the sheer number of people on the ship. I have a panic disorder in crowds and I'm curious what it's like on such a big ship with so many people. Are areas often crowded? Is it easy to walk from one side of the ship to the other or are you constantly trying to get around other people? Are lines for dining and shows long? I understand that we should make reservations before we go, but do you end up standing in big crowds of people waiting to get in?

Any advice anyone can give me is greatly appreciated!

Leslie

There were only 2 times I really felt jammed into a sea of people. Once was the one time we had breakfast in the windjammer (stuck to the wipeout cafe after that, it was never busy) and the second was when we were crossing the royal promenade during the 70's party (this was particularly brutal).

P.S. our muster station was ice rink and it was comfortable and didn't feel over crowded at all. I did get lucky and score an aisle seat though (hate being squished next to a stranger).

My husband is trying to plan a cruise for our Anniversary this September. One of the options he came up with was the Oasis of the Seas.

My concern is the sheer number of people on the ship. I have a panic disorder in crowds and I'm curious what it's like on such a big ship with so many people. Are areas often crowded? Is it easy to walk from one side of the ship to the other or are you constantly trying to get around other people? Are lines for dining and shows long? I understand that we should make reservations before we go, but do you end up standing in big crowds of people waiting to get in?

Leslie

My husband has claustrophobia issues and neither of us like crowded spaces. We have never felt particularly anxious on a ship, especially the Oasis. You can encounter the crowds, but usually at the buffet during regular dining times (still not bad, and totally avoidable. There are lots of dining choices). And maybe near the elevators when the shows let out. But there are a lot of wide open spaces. We always have a balcony cabin and relax away from others for a good portion of the trip. I don't think we were ever trying to just get around other people. We have never stood in line waiting for a show if we had a reservation. We have never felt particularly clausterphobic for more than a few seconds on a ship, there are always other places to go if there are too many people in one area. We loved the Park Cafe to eat on the Allure (sister ship of the oasis), away from the buffet. Of all our cruises, the Oasis class ships felt the LEAST crowded!

Edited by jetta8300

I don't think I have a disorder... but often in crowds I feel like a just hate people. Even when they're not massive crowds. For example when you're waiting for a lift when it's kicking out time at the theatre. I hate clothes shopping or anything like that because when there are small aIsles and annoying people brush up against you or come to close to you it really winds me up. Wow I sound so miserable!

Anyway that being said, I find absolutely no difference to when I'm on a smaller or larger ship as to how crowded it feels. The royal promenade always feels too crowded when a sale is on and also I avoid it if they do those party things on the promenade. There are a couple of other times when the ship feels crowded but for me it always feels just as crowded at those times regardless of the size of ship. I've been on harmony and ovation and they never felt very crowded and I did not feel aware at all of the amount of people that were on the ships.

My suggestion for boarding day? Maybe get there late-ish, and eat lunch beforehand. Note, this is exactly the opposite of what I do ;). However, I've heard boarding later is less crowded, and you would avoid the "super crowded first day lunch crowd".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My suggestion for boarding day? Maybe get there late-ish, and eat lunch beforehand. Note, this is exactly the opposite of what I do ;). However, I've heard boarding later is less crowded, and you would avoid the "super crowded first day lunch crowd".

That is actually a very good suggestion. If you arrive after the rooms are ready, the public areas are less crowded and you are able to head straight to your cabin if you need to regroup before venturing out. I wish that I had the patience to do this.

After reading that you do well on Princess I would make the following suggestions. Try to book a cabin on or near deck 8 and use Central Park to transit the length of the ship. Avoid the elevators, if possible. They can get really crowded when people push in because they can't wait. For shows, etc. go early and leave late to avoid the crowds. For muster drill take the advice given earlier, don't stand in a crowd if your station requires it they always have a seating area nearby where you will not feel like a canned sardine. It can be done in an enjoyable way if you consciously avoid situations that will trigger an attack.

We were on the Oasis in January and again on March 26th. Both sailings the muster drill was held inside.

Much, much better than standing on a hot deck!!!

Not all the muster stations on Oasis are indoors. The aqua theater is also a muster station and gets very hot and crowded, so get there early to get a seat.

I should note, DH had some severe (at that point undiagnosed) anxiety issues several years ago (which medication has helped greatly since then), and we cruised with his parents (it was their first cruise)... So, overall, a super stressful trip. We boarded during the busy time, and it was VERY hard on him. So glad that his medication has helped him with his anxiety :)

The largest ship I've been on is Freedom Class. But there are a lot of crowds. During Muster Drill, I was standing in back of my husband as usual, leaning my head on him, like I normally did. One of the crew members told me to go inside, so I got to spend the muster drill seated w/ a lovely couple that had done 100 cruises.

We hate crowds. Arrive at the Windjammer when it opens. We go to dinner early to avoid the crowd at the elevator. We sit in the Centrum and order a drink and wait for the doors to open. When we see people moving toward the doors, we get in line.

Specialty dining helps avoid the roar of the dining room. I'd let the patient rest in the room, while I go to Specialty Dining and book reservations on embarkation day. If you can afford a suite, you can get the Concierge Suite host to help you with reservations during non peak times. Otherwise, get a suite. You want to make sure you have a retreat that gets you away from the crowds. We do that with our Junior Suite preference. They have the best Junior Suites (etc) in the industry. It has a nice seating area, floor to ceiling windows and a balcony if the weather's nice.

HAL's Rotterdam had little waiting for the elevators, they also had more space in the main dining room. But Royal Caribbean's Junior Suites were larger. Rotterdam had more elevators at half the passengers that the Serenade we sailed the year before.

Avoid Windjammer on the first day. Now that Chops Grill is open for lunch, I'd suggest going there.

Keep in mind, they don't let you into your cabins until 1 PM, and sometimes later if they must clean due to norovirus. You'll need to drag your luggage with you.

My daughter has severe anxierty/ depression. She has gone on 2 cruiseswith us Freedom of the seas ( 18 yrs old) and Oasis ( she was 21) . On the Freedom it was kind of crowded and her anxiety cold cocked her into her cabin most days. Oasis was crowded but there were more places to get away from the crowds when she felt over whelmed. This comming August we're going on Liberty she will be 25 by then. ( yup still lives at home😊) she is really looking forward to it. Let me just say she is on better medication and has gone through more counseling and has a better grip in her anxiety. She unfortunately does still have it and crowds are her " cross to bare" so I under stand how you feel. Hope this helps some. I think the fact that there are more places to get away , more free places to eat also helps so that if one places is too over whelming you can go someplace else.

Having been on Crown, Royal, and Caribbean Princess in my opinion I would say that the "crowding" is similar and really comes down to the points you have already mentioned and really in my opinion comes down to shows being let out (on any ship) as long as you wait for the crowds to move out before you then you should be set.

The one thing to avoid I would add is in the entertainment planner see if there is ever a time where there is a main show in the theater that started around 8-9, and then a 10pm comedy show and a 1030pm ice show. Deck 4 forward will be CRAZY in this scenario from about 930p-1015p so suggest a different show time to choose. It doesn't help that this is the one area I feel like the ceiling feels low. (Reminds me of what I refer to as the tunnels to get to the main theater floor sometimes on Princess if that makes sense).

A positive for Oasis that I haven't seen mentioned is we much prefer the getting back on the ship in ports with Oasis versus the Princess'. Much less lines getting back on board and felt much more ease then Princess.

Leslie

I would tell you honestly - if you don't like crowds, and I don't either, DO NOT book any of the Oasis class ships!!

I will second what Clarea said. The only times the Oasis ships ever feel crowded is on embarkation day around the time of the muster drill and during the huge events on the promenade.

I remember thinking it was amazing how empty the ship felt during the day, even on sea days, the first time we went on Oasis..

Oh Really.....

Did you try to eat in the Windjammer between 12:00 and 1:00 (that's when we LIKE to eat lunch)

And the staff are standing at the door telling everyone to go somewhere else because "IT IS TOO CROWDED"

Then you go to the Café Promenade or the Park Café and the lines are about 20 to 30 deep or you go to the Solarium Bistro, and the line is OUT THE DOORS.

Did you try to go to ANY of the entertainment venues and show up about 15 minutes before it started?? You would be turned away because it was already FULL.

And even for the show with reservations, if you don't get there at least 30 minutes early, you couldn't get a decent seat.

We LOVED the Dazzles Nightclub - There was a really great band that played there most nights, but if you didn't arrive 30 minutes before they start playing you couldn't get a table.

The Promenade was so PACKED FULL of crowds you LITERALLY could not walk from one end to the other, and if there was ANY kind of activity.... forget even trying.

We thought the Oasis was CROWDED A LOT!!

Oasis can handle the crowds very well. There are many places to go to get some quiet time. There are many food venues so if one is crowded, just go to a different one. The electronic wayfinders in the elevator lobbies will give you information on how crowded the restaurants are and which to avoid.

Read the reviews of the ship and see some of the pictures. It isn't as bad as some dramatic posters try to make it seem.

I would tell you honestly - if you don't like crowds, and I don't either, DO NOT book any of the Oasis class ships!!

Oh Really.....

Did you try to eat in the Windjammer between 12:00 and 1:00 (that's when we LIKE to eat lunch)

And the staff are standing at the door telling everyone to go somewhere else because "IT IS TOO CROWDED"

Then you go to the Café Promenade or the Park Café and the lines are about 20 to 30 deep or you go to the Solarium Bistro, and the line is OUT THE DOORS.

Did you try to go to ANY of the entertainment venues and show up about 15 minutes before it started?? You would be turned away because it was already FULL.

And even for the show with reservations, if you don't get there at least 30 minutes early, you couldn't get a decent seat.

We LOVED the Dazzles Nightclub - There was a really great band that played there most nights, but if you didn't arrive 30 minutes before they start playing you couldn't get a table.

The Promenade was so PACKED FULL of crowds you LITERALLY could not walk from one end to the other, and if there was ANY kind of activity.... forget even trying.

We thought the Oasis was CROWDED A LOT!!

I don't have a panic disorder and you are scaring ME!:evilsmile:

Seems to me that the number of passengers is not purely relevant as a smaller ship has fewer passengers and may feel just as crowded as the next ship. To the OP and others who want to avoid crowds, a cruise ship might not be the best choice. You are crammed in to each other at muster. At shows you would have to wait till the majority of folks left the theaters. I might suggest set dining time rather than waiting in line for My Time Dining. Be aware that in all dining venues, the tables are fairly close to each other. Is this an issue for some? I would avoid all public events or parties such as 70's night, captains greeting etc. as these will draw crowds. Back to muster, I would ask special needs for a dedicated muster area away from crowds. It is impossible to say is a cruise is OK as I can't know the severity of ones issues.

good luck

M