Thinking about first river cruise on the Rhine in April.....?

karelowe

We are pondering our first river cruise (in 2018) and thinking of spring (April) to take advantage of cheaper prices....Now a little concerned about weather and if we are making a big mistake for timing....Just adding another 3-4 weeks adds another $1000 or so.....Would appreciate input from early spring cruisers please. Thanks

We are pondering our first river cruise (in 2018) and thinking of spring (April) to take advantage of cheaper prices....Now a little concerned about weather and if we are making a big mistake for timing....Just adding another 3-4 weeks adds another $1000 or so.....Would appreciate input from early spring cruisers please. Thanks

Take layers of clothes, a rain poncho apiece, a hat/cap and a comfortable pair of thick soled walking shoes/boots and you'll be fine.

Spend the money you will save on souvenirs and memories!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Karelowe,

I just got back from a river cruise that began on the 2nd of April in Amsterdam. Weather was a bit of everything from windy cold drizzle (8°C) to sunny and beautiful (20°C). If you are prepared for the worst and hope for the best you have nothing to worry about . Every one of our European river cruises has been at the beginning or the end of the season. Yes, it is a bit cheaper, the ship may not be at full capacity, and there will be far less tourists in the ports. A win, win, win situation!

Have a great time,

RB

We did the Rhine in early May two years ago and temperature were great, 70+ degrees. The reason prices go up is, as you guessed, weather gets better in May. If it is cold you will not use the sun deck at all and that will be a real shame going through the Rhinr Gorge or any river cruising times.

Have done March/April cruises in 2014, 2015, and 2016 (Rhine, Rhone, Danube). Weather was on average quite acceptable. Some cooler days, some rain, but every day on the river boat was way better than being home at work. In 2014, it was much nicer than it was at home.

Weather is obviously variable but I doubt that you are making a "big" mistake. It should not be bad. It won't be summer. Dan's clothing advice is good.

We did the Rhine & Mossel with Scenic a few years ago in April yes it was evidently the coldest weather in Amsterdam for years but it was beautiful weather by the time we got to Basel. It was a super cruise. In case of the cold, layer then just strip off as it gets warmer. I felt more uncomfortable when we cruised the Soane & Rhone it just got hotter and hotter until on the last evening we had the mother and father of all thunderstorms amazing. So whatever time of year you cruise be prepared your sure to enjoy yourselves. CA

We just did Uniworld from March 26-April 2. We always do early season for the better prices and fewer crowds. Weather was AMAZING!!!! OTOH, we did the Danube last year, at the end of April, and it was very chilly.ec97ba150f45a8b9117322e962cac53b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All 3 of my river cruises were in April...Rhine, Paris & Normandy and just last week Tulips and Windmills. I like the weather, price and most of all we have to follow the school calendar for vacations (Easter Break) as we both still work. The best time of year in my opinion. You get pretty warm with all the walking.

If I had the flexibility, I would even go end of Oct or early Nov. because I can't stand being the slightest bit overheated.

I was an early Spring cruiser three years ago. When I left Passau it was cold, grey and snowy, meaning there was still snow in the hills and in the forest, the valley was clear of snow. On the day I left Budapest it was warm and sunny. I fell asleep on the sundeck wrapped up ina blanket. Bliss!

You can have all sorts of weather in April, on the Danube you are more likely to encounter snow than on the Rhine. The Seine will be similar to the Rhine but possibly wetter and windier towards the coast. The Rhone I expect to be already a littler warmer in April. You can encounter flooding at any time in April but that can also still happen in May.

I would try and go at the end of April running into May. But you can hit a cold spell any time, be it the beginning, middle or end of April. Temperatures on the Rhine in April are anything between minus two at night to plus 20 on a warm afternoon.

Hope this helps.

notamermaid