Holland America/Rotterdam newbie and question

LadyCarolingian

Hello everybody,

I am very, very close to taking the plunge (hmmm, bad choice of words) and booking my first cruise. It's for Holland America/Rotterdam's July 15th North Atlantic cruise (Rotterdam to Boston, via Iceland, Greenland, etc.). I've been procrastinating because of newcomer anxiety, but I really want to do this so I think I'm going to go for it.

Anyway, my question is about the general atmosphere of the public areas on Rotterdam. As much as I'd love a balcony, at this point they are only available in the suites, and that just isn't in my budget. Booking a lanai cabin is a big enough splurge as it is.

I understand that that the lanai cabins come with "reserved" chairs on the promenade deck and anticipate using them, but are there other areas (cafes, lounges, etc.) that are conducive to a little peace and quiet but also have a bit of a view? I am a writer and on sea days will want to be able to move around a bit with my laptop. I don't require utter solitude or silence, just not a lot of chaos.

I realize this question is a bit vague. I think I just trying to get a feel for the ship. I've traveled a great deal, but this is a whole new world for me. I suppose I am just looking to pick people's brains and anything that springs to people's minds would be appreciated.

(I glanced through the HAL "for dummies" thread and don't think this is repetitive, but if I missed something, I apologize. )

Thanks!

Caroline

Hello everybody,

I am very, very close to taking the plunge (hmmm, bad choice of words) and booking my first cruise. It's for Holland America/Rotterdam's July 15th North Atlantic cruise (Rotterdam to Boston, via Iceland, Greenland, etc.). I've been procrastinating because of newcomer anxiety, but I really want to do this so I think I'm going to go for it.

Anyway, my question is about the general atmosphere of the public areas on Rotterdam. As much as I'd love a balcony, at this point they are only available in the suites, and that just isn't in my budget. Booking a lanai cabin is a big enough splurge as it is.

I understand that that the lanai cabins come with "reserved" chairs on the promenade deck and anticipate using them, but are there other areas (cafes, lounges, etc.) that are conducive to a little peace and quiet but also have a bit of a view? I am a writer and on sea days will want to be able to move around a bit with my laptop. I don't require utter solitude or silence, just not a lot of chaos.

I realize this question is a bit vague. I think I just trying to get a feel for the ship. I've traveled a great deal, but this is a whole new world for me. I suppose I am just looking to pick people's brains and anything that springs to people's minds would be appreciated.

(I glanced through the HAL "for dummies" thread and don't think this is repetitive, but if I missed something, I apologize. )

Thanks!

Caroline

Hi Caroline. I did this cruise solo last July and loved it. Would do it again in a flash. First, I booked my own air with IcelandAir - great prices etc to Amsterdam. I had also booked two nights HOTEL with HAL (Hilton Rotterdam). One I landed and claimed my luggage a HAL rep was waiting outside the restricted area for me. I had a private car to Rotterdam!!!! I felt like "Driving Miss. Daisy." Lovey driver and hotel is located in a perfect spot to get around. The free #10 trolley car is just outside the hotel.

Cabins & ships atmosphere. I had an inside cabin on the lower promenade deck (my favourite deck) and had no problems getting a lounge chair. No chaos on my sailing and you will find lots of places to go and write eg. Explorers Lounge, library, Crow's Nest.

The ports were absolutely wonderful but what blew my mind was sailing Prince Christain Sund and our two stops in Greenland (Nanortalik and Quaqortoq). And if you like icebergs get ready to be amazed. Tip. Bring hat and gloves as you'll be outside taking a lot of photos.

I could keep on writing. Let me now what other info you may be looking for.

Welcome. Rotterdam is a lovely choice for a first HAL voyage ship. We will be on the same ship but doing it RT on the Voyage of the Vikings - August from Boston and back.

She still has her generous full library with lots of comfortable reading or writing spots. The Explorer's Lounge and the Crows Nest with lots of comfortable seating too (when they are not used for other activities. People find other indoor niches all over the ship in quiet corners or other nooks and crannies often with full window views.

Hopefully when you say you are a writer using your lap top, you do not also mean you will need to be connected online. Internet service is both weak and expensive, so that could be a serious drawback. But if you are using it just for writing you will be fine. There are limited outlets in the cabins so be prepared to juggle things around to keep the laptop charged.

You may be able ask the steward for a small power strip they have approved for in-cabin use so you can keep other things charging as well if you need the extra plug-in outlets - no USB.

Don't know if you already know about cruse "roll calls" but they are starting to get active for this particular cruise and that is also a very good place to start meeting your fellow passengers and sharing tips about ports and get togethers.

I think you will be very happy with the Rotterdam - a very nice sized ship, easy to get to know and easy to get around. And a pretty special and popular itinerary. Looks like you snagged one of the last lanai cabins too as the cruise is starting to fill up.

Be sure to look at the live thread about the Rotterdam that is going on right now written "kazu" - she is including photos of daily programs and dinner menus so you can get a real picture of what things will be like when it is your turn to get onboard. She has been very happy with the Rotterdam itself as well as having a wonderful time on her long transatlantic voyage. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2474965

You will love this line for the very reason you cited - lots of nooks and crannies which offer endless hours of quiet relaxation. I listen to audiobooks, and have never had any trouble doing so on a HAL ship, even though I love people-watching and need some activity around me to prevent my mind from wandering. In addition, the demographic on HAL ships skews older than other lines (before people flame me, please note that I have been on at least a dozen HAL cruises with my mother, who turns 80 this year, and my aunt, who will be 84). I am a devoted HAL cheerleader!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am currently on the Rotterdam. I think it's day 25 or 26 but I have lost count.

tons of places.

I have seen little crowding if any.

Lovely ship, fabulous crew.

You will have a great time. I have a live thread on the go in case it helps but wait until the end for my final thoughts if you like.

Right now, the ship has nearly 5*. I would say 4.5 on a kazu rating.

this is a flagship for a reason and a very good one.

I am currently on the Rotterdam. I think it's day 25 or 26 but I have lost count.

tons of places.

I have seen little crowding if any.

Lovely ship, fabulous crew.

You will have a great time. I have a live thread on the go in case it helps but wait until the end for my final thoughts if you like.

Right now, the ship has nearly 5*. I would say 4.5 on a kazu rating.

this is a flagship for a reason and a very good one.

I am enjoying your posts and Rotterdam reports immensely - a heroic undertaking considering the depth and volume of your reports. And the internet capacities you need to seek out in various locations. Happy to return to the Rotterdam myself for the VOV in a few months, knowing she is as lovely as we also remember her from cruises past.

Thank you all very much of your helpful replies! I'm going to do it! (Courtesy hold already on, booking on Monday)

Can anybody comment on cruising solo? I'm an experienced solo traveler, but this is a whole new world for me and, at 37, I'm younger than the average cruise ship passenger. I chose this trip for the itinerary and also because the whole thing just seemed so restful, so I don't need to make a ton of new friends and socialize all day, but human interaction is nice. I get along well with a wide variety of people but, being on the shy side, have difficulty initiating conversation.

Thanks again!

Caroline

Can anybody comment on cruising solo? I'm an experienced solo traveler, but this is a whole new world for me and, at 37, I'm younger than the average cruise ship passenger. I chose this trip for the itinerary and also because the whole thing just seemed so restful, so I don't need to make a ton of new friends and socialize all day, but human interaction is nice. I get along well with a wide variety of people but, being on the shy side, have difficulty initiating conversation.

I started my cruising life as a solo, and picked it up again after I was widowed. I have loads of experience at it.

I found it easy to meet people, as there are activities where starting to chat comes naturally. Dinner is an obvious place where you meet others, and there's time to get to know them a little. I recommend a larger table (6 people is good), and I prefer fixed seating. However, you will meet even more people at open seating; it's just you may never see them again.

You do have to reach out somewhat, though. Have a few ideas of things to talk about (Have you cruised in this area before? if yes---What do you recommend for a person who likes to ...?; if no---What are your plans in...? Where are your favorite places to travel? things like that).

Don't be afraid to sit at the bar and strike up conversations. I have found people at the bar love to chat with everyone else sitting there.

When you go to the show, ask if a seat is free, and strike up a conversation with the person next to you.

Join in games, like trivia (if you like that), and you meet others who you can meet up with again, or know to avoid at all costs. ;)

Remember, everyone else on board is also looking for a good time, is relaxed while on vacation, and shares some interests with you.

And as a solo, you can be alone when you want to be! :D

I'm 42 and about to take my first HAL cruise (also as a solo). I'm doing the Baltics and chose HAL because they had BY FAR the best itinerary in regards to timing in the ports. I think the key with being younger and solo is to know what to expect-- my last cruise was on NCL and my expectations were totally different than what I expect on HAL. It sounds as though you understand what HAL is offering (quiet and great ports) and are good with that-- that looks like a fantastic cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I started my cruising life as a solo, and picked it up again after I was widowed. I have loads of experience at it.

I found it easy to meet people, as there are activities where starting to chat comes naturally. Dinner is an obvious place where you meet others, and there's time to get to know them a little. I recommend a larger table (6 people is good), and I prefer fixed seating. However, you will meet even more people at open seating; it's just you may never see them again.

You do have to reach out somewhat, though. Have a few ideas of things to talk about (Have you cruised in this area before? if yes---What do you recommend for a person who likes to ...?; if no---What are your plans in...? Where are your favorite places to travel? things like that).

Don't be afraid to sit at the bar and strike up conversations. I have found people at the bar love to chat with everyone else sitting there.

When you go to the show, ask if a seat is free, and strike up a conversation with the person next to you.

Join in games, like trivia (if you like that), and you meet others who you can meet up with again, or know to avoid at all costs. ;)

Remember, everyone else on board is also looking for a good time, is relaxed while on vacation, and shares some interests with you.

And as a solo, you can be alone when you want to be! :D

This ought to be a sticky. 'Guide to the SOLO CRUISER' :)

Dennis

Go aft on the Main and Dolphin decks. There will be open areas with lounge chairs to sit. It is quiet and secluded.

The rail is solid steel so there is not a view when sitting down, but stretch breaks at the rail will provide a mesmerizing view of the wake.

These areas will slowly be discovered as the cruise progresses, but it is never crowded and noisy.

We did that itinerary last summer and loved it! Check the prices, because the Vista Suites were "only" a couple thousand more than the Lanai. But you may pay more due the single supplement. Also, there was a what one of my cabin crawl volunteers called her "private balcony" out the aft part of deck 2. According to my records, she was in 2709. You walked out this door at the end of the hallway, and had a nice large area.

Rotterdam's retreat on the Lido is wonderful too. Some people hung out in the lido with their cameras, went to the retreat, then returned to their table in the Lido to warm up.

BTW, Vista suites get double credit.

Go aft on the Main and Dolphin decks. There will be open areas with lounge chairs to sit. It is quiet and secluded.

The rail is solid steel so there is not a view when sitting down, but stretch breaks at the rail will provide a mesmerizing view of the wake.

These areas will slowly be discovered as the cruise progresses, but it is never crowded and noisy.

Shhhhhhhhhh ..... you just gave away my own favorite spot on these ships. I perched for hours on a very long Rotterdam cruise in that exact spot by the rails ....with the mesmerizing view of the wake.

Sorry. I did have an internal debate about posting the location of those lower aft decks. ;)

(Sorry, I miss the smilies and wink emojis to add to flippant comments. I didn't have an internal debate either - I immediately went into selfish mode.) (Wink)

Another happy, satisfied 2016 VOV cruiser with a suggestion that you save some money by booking an ocean view stateroom that is not a Lanai (Category C). Yes, there are reserved deck chairs for you immediately outside your stateroom, but the stateroom itself is smaller than an ocean view on Main and Dolphin Deck. I would not book such and would not accept an upgrade/upsell to such.

Thank you all again for your helpful answers! I have another question (well, for now, I'm sure they will be dozens of others) for those of you with experience on HAL and Rotterdam in particular.

I understand the general premise of feeling the ship's motion less in the center, lower parts of the ship. But how much more aggressive is it, really, higher up? Such as on the Navigation deck (deck 7, I believe), especially in the aft cabins? I'm mulling over the splurge after all (embracing philosophy that this trip is already extravagant, why not go all out?), but am concerned about seasickness. I've never had it before on a considerable variety of boats and hydrofoils, but I've also never crossed the North Atlantic. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Caroline

I was on the Rotterdam in January this year. Location makes a huge difference on the motion felt.

On our return to Miami, we were sailing into strong winds that were pushing the water through the Virgin Straits (high waves) that we needed to sail through to return to Ft Lauderdale.

The ship was rocking and rolling. We had dinner in the upper level of the dining room (aft deck 5). It was impossible to walk a straight line without needing to grab a chair or table. The waitstaff, instead of carrying the loaded trays on their shoulders, were carrying much smaller loads on the trays and held the trays down at waist level.

After dinner, I went up to the Crow's Nest (forward)to play trivia. Motion was even more extreme up there.

Our cabin was on the Main Deck, inside and amidships. The motion was just noticeable enough to let one know one was on a ship but did not hinder movement around the cabin.

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you think there would be a significant difference in motion between decks 6 and 7? Especially if they're on the same side of the ship (I'm trying to weigh price and frugality--which has already gone out the window--with the unknown seasickness variable)?

Caroline

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you think there would be a significant difference in motion between decks 6 and 7? Especially if they're on the same side of the ship (I'm trying to weigh price and frugality--which has already gone out the window--with the unknown seasickness variable)?

Caroline

In all our days sailing HAL ships we only have encountered the occasional bumpy seas. They come and they pass and if you are really affected beyond what normal remedies can relieve, it will pass in a few hours as the weather changes or the course direction changes. Try daily eating candied ginger up front, and take a survey what sea sickness remedy you might think will work best for you. (I stick with Bonine and ginger myself)

Only once on a very old ship in known treacherous waters did the rough seas last for days - the Straits of Mozambique between Madagascar and South Africa on the old original Pacific Princess sister ship sailing as the Discovery. It was horrible and I took to bed for the full three days. Then instantly when the ship sailed into Cape Town, all the malaise was totally gone.

T Such as on the Navigation deck (deck 7, I believe), especially in the aft cabins? I'm mulling over the splurge after all (embracing philosophy that this trip is already extravagant, why not go all out?), but am concerned about seasickness. I've never had it before on a considerable variety of boats and hydrofoils, but I've also never crossed the North Atlantic. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Caroline

I was on the Rotterdam on Deck 7 aft, and the sea was very rough around Greenland and Iceland. The captain warned us about it. And we always had a hand free to grab a railing. They have free seasick pills at the front desk. But care must be taken. One lady had a nasty bruise that covered her face after one especially rough day. She got it early in the cruise, and was almost back to normal when we finally returned to Boston. We felt the motion on Deck 5 (after dinner), and deck 7 (our cabin). The crows nest was especially weird, since we had to be even more careful w/ no railing handy.

The crew was kind enough to lend a hand in the Lido.

After a month at sea, I found the flight back home rather tame. I was able to walk down the aisle to the restroom w/o incident.

If one is in an upper deck stateroom at the stern, be aware that there can be a cork-screw type of motion at times as well as pitching/rolling when the "ocean is in motion". The cork-screw motion is due to the way the waves are hitting the ship's stern I was told. It did not bother me, but I certainly thought it weird when it started.

An old cruise cliche: The more you pay, the more you sway! But, there is some truth to it.