is priority embarkation worth $150 in stateroom credit

My AAA magazine came today and I discovered that if I book with them I would get $50 stateroom credit and priority embarkation (and a bottle of wine in the room, but not a big deal). How involved is embarkation for people with no previous royal cruises, is it worth it to take the hit on stateroom credit ($200 if I book on RCL website) to get the priority embarkation? I realize opinions probably vary on this one, but I don't want to be feel like I'm in a herd of cattle because I don't have any type of loyalty card (first RCL cruise if I book it).

Priority embarkation is a very small deal. The difference is maybe 10-15 minutes at the most. Also, if you arrive after the ship has started boarding, you walk right on with no waiting. Plus, I don't know how a travel agent can grant someone priority embarkation on Royal without putting you in a suite.

I'd take the $200 onboard credit if you arrive at the port early it's not super crowded getting on the ship. And this is my experience from being a lowly Gold member (lowest rung on the loyalty ladder). Not sure how much of a priority AAA can give over Royals own priority embarking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My AAA magazine came today and I discovered that if I book with them I would get $50 stateroom credit and priority embarkation (and a bottle of wine in the room' date=' but not a big deal). How involved is embarkation for people with no previous royal cruises, is it worth it to take the hit on stateroom credit ($200 if I book on RCL website) to get the priority embarkation? I realize opinions probably vary on this one, but I don't want to be feel like I'm in a herd of cattle because I don't have any type of loyalty card (first RCL cruise if I book it).[/quote']

Another vote for taking the OBC. Priority embarkation is not really a benefit.

My AAA magazine came today and I discovered that if I book with them I would get $50 stateroom credit and priority embarkation (and a bottle of wine in the room' date=' but not a big deal). How involved is embarkation for people with no previous royal cruises, is it worth it to take the hit on stateroom credit ($200 if I book on RCL website) to get the priority embarkation? I realize opinions probably vary on this one, but I don't want to be feel like I'm in a herd of cattle because I don't have any type of loyalty card (first RCL cruise if I book it).[/quote']

no reason you shouldn't get the $200 Royal is offering on top of the TA's incentive. Forget the priority boarding. No TA can get you that that I've ever heard

I would keep the $200 OBC, don't worry about priority embarkation.

Our first cruise with RC was Explorer of the Seas out of Bayonne about 5 years ago. We arrived at port around 10:30 PM and was eating lunch by 11:30. After wedding parties, suite guest and guest with RC status everyone else boards in groups according to when they arrived at port. The process is fast enough definitely not worth losing $150 OBC.

The priority embarkation by AAA can mean anything and not necessarily that you will board first.

All this can vary by port or ship. What ship are you sailing on?

When I book through my travel agent I still get the Royal Caribbean OBC, along with OBC from the travel agent. AAA probably does the same thing, check with them and you will probably find that the AAA benefits are on top of what is offered by Royal Caribbean.

Cool, I will check it out. Maybe the priority AAA is a new thing? The ad is in the inside of my magazine and it says "Choose any royal caribbean ship. Any sailing. Any stateroom category. Priority checkin on day of boarding, complimentary bottle of wine delivered to your stateroom, up to $100 in stateroom credit." They also mention specialty dining for two on Oasis, Allure, Harmony, Symphony, and Anthem our of Florida ports. They all have the star that says "certain restrictions apply" but I don't know how they can get away from "any sailing, any stateroom category." But I'm naive that way. ;)

One other thing regarding "Priority Boarding" - it doesn't necessarily mean get through check-in and onboard faster.

I've been on sailings where the line for people who hadn't sailed with Royal before was actually faster than the Priority lines for different levels of Royal's loyalty program. Like others have said - don't give up the stateroom credit for what AAA is offering.

Cool' date=' I will check it out. Maybe the priority AAA is a new thing? ... [/quote']

I don't think this is a new AAA thing. I remember someone else mentioning this perk maybe a year ago. I don't recall if they reported back after their cruise.

How about booking with Royal Caribbean and then transferring it to your Travel Agent? That way you should be able to get both the OBC from the cruise line and and the perks from the agency.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=323&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqId=2004

The agency I am booked with sent a link to a page to print out saying Priority Check-In. It's offered by a lot of large companies. It isn't worth $150 in OBC.

We have booked our last four cruises with AAA and every time I ask about the priority boarding...no one has a clear answer what it is (agent) or how to go about using it. When we get to the port and show them the "pass" for priority booking, they just look baffled and we end up in the regular line to board. The reason we have booked with them multiple times is because of the spa credit we get. I would not book a massage on the ship on my own...but when I am given a free one with the booking, on top of the wine, I'm there!

Diane

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Priority Embarkation isn't really a think; you'll get onboard maybe 10 minutes before other people; if you get there first.

Your room is not ready sooner and you don't get your luggage faster.

In short "Priorty Embarkation" is worth $0

I agree with others though; the AAA perks are probably on TOP of what Royal is offering.

We have booked our last four cruises with AAA and every time I ask about the priority boarding...no one has a clear answer what it is (agent) or how to go about using it. When we get to the port and show them the "pass" for priority booking, they just look baffled and we end up in the regular line to board. The reason we have booked with them multiple times is because of the spa credit we get. I would not book a massage on the ship on my own...but when I am given a free one with the booking, on top of the wine, I'm there!

Diane

Thanks for clearing up the priority boarding mystery.:)

Cool' date=' I will check it out. Maybe the priority AAA is a new thing? The ad is in the inside of my magazine and it says "Choose any royal caribbean ship. Any sailing. Any stateroom category. Priority checkin on day of boarding, complimentary bottle of wine delivered to your stateroom, up to $100 in stateroom credit." They also mention specialty dining for two on Oasis, Allure, Harmony, Symphony, and Anthem our of Florida ports. They all have the star that says "certain restrictions apply" but I don't know how they can get away from "any sailing, any stateroom category." But I'm naive that way. ;)[/quote']

Priority check in Is NOT. The same as Priority Boarding.

The most you are going to get is being eligible for a different check in line than the one for non prior RCI cruisers. Depending on port and ship, this is of zero practical benefit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As someone who has booked twice through AAA previously, with "Priority Boarding" (or Checkin, or Embarkation; one of those) listed as one of the perks both times, I can tell you that it doesn't exist. Now it wasn't the reason I booked with them (they were giving better OBC rates and dining bonuses at the time than other TAs I use) but truly the Boarding perk is non-existent. Stay with your current $200 OBC.

We booked on OASIS on the RCI website and got their OBC. You then have up to 30 days to transfer the booking to AAA TA if you want, but YOU must submit a form to RCI (TA can help with that). We did that process and got the extra AAA perks on top of RCI OBC (champagne in room, one specialty dining, and supposed priority check-in). I agree with others that priority check-in not really a perk, but we got on board and booked a free night at 150 central park for 2 (an extra $100 benefit).

Call AAA TA and ask to find out if it's a better deal. That costs you nothing. If it's after the 30 days allowed to transfer the booking, you can just cancel as long as it's not after final payment and your full deposit will be refunded. Then do a new booking with AAA TA. One reason I have not just booked directly with AAA is RCI usually starts their sales on a Thursday through the weekend. Sometimes a particular room we want for a particular sailing opens up on a weekend when the TA is not working, so we just book it on RCI website and then transfer back to AAA TA during the following week.

We booked on OASIS on the RCI website and got their OBC. You then have up to 30 days to transfer the booking to AAA TA if you want, but YOU must submit a form to RCI (TA can help with that). We did that process and got the extra AAA perks on top of RCI OBC (champagne in room, one specialty dining, and supposed priority check-in). I agree with others that priority check-in not really a perk, but we got on board and booked a free night at 150 central park for 2 (an extra $100 benefit).

Call AAA TA and ask to find out if it's a better deal. That costs you nothing. If it's after the 30 days allowed to transfer the booking, you can just cancel as long as it's not after final payment and your full deposit will be refunded. Then do a new booking with AAA TA. One reason I have not just booked directly with AAA is RCI usually starts their sales on a Thursday through the weekend. Sometimes a particular room we want for a particular sailing opens up on a weekend when the TA is not working, so we just book it on RCI website and then transfer back to AAA TA during the following week.

RC's website says 60 days.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=323&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqId=2004

The priority check in (not embarkation) with AAA allows first time cruisers on RCCL to use the Crown and Anchor Gold line for check in rather than the general check in line. The pass that is given states to head to this line. We used it the first time we went on Royal, however, once you then become a crown and anchor member it is the line you are going to head to anyway thus making that "perk" no longer worth it. Looking at my certificates from when we went on Harmony the specialty dining voucher is only for Harmony, Oasis, Allure and states "Enjoy a complimentary dinner for two in one of the our specialty restaurants onboard" blah blah. "Please see Maitre D at the restaurant once you board to make your reservation. This voucher should serve as your notification that the ship has received a manifest with your booking details that denote you are eligible for this offer. Does not apply to reservations made on line. Voucher is valid for dinner for two only, one per sailing, at Chops Grille, Portofino, Giovannis Table, Samba Grill, Solarium Bistro, Jamie's Italian, or 150 Central Park"

Just got the magazine that the Op is referring to. It applies to all of the Oasis classes and the Anthem. I wonder if the promo is the one that RCL is offering for booking a neighborhood balcony. if not, does that mean that you get 2 bottles of wines, 2 specialty dining for 2 and up to $200 in obcs.