Open toed dress shoes?

mbladen3210

I have read and heard all about how we can't wear open toed shoes in the main dining hall.

Nope, sandals are absolutely allowed in the main dining room.

Open toed shoes with straps are ok. Flip flops are not.

Nope again; you can wear sandals in the main dining room that don't have a heel strap.

With the exception of running shoes in the fitness center, and clogs during an Alaska cruise, I don't think I've ever, in 20+ cruises, worn a closed-toe shoe onboard the ship. And of the sandals I've worn, both wedges and flats, I'd guess half of them were thong style with no heel strap.

I've read where people are saying there's a different dress code for the elite cocktail party, and the hostess has more discretion in allowing or not allowing certain footwear. Seems a shame if that's the case, as there are plenty of sandals with no hell strap out there that would be perfectly appropriate.

That was me. It was the Elite Cocktail Hour that they have every day, not a party or other special occasion. I hadn't changed into dinner clothes yet, and my sandals were flip-flop style, not pool flip-flops, but casual-ish, with leather straps.

I wear nicer, blingy sandals with a medium heel (still flip-flop style) most evenings, and have never had a problem, and don't expect to have one. Sandals are allowed in the dining room, it's just the Captain's Club Elite Cocktail Hour (and some other Captain's Club events) where sandals are mentioned in the dress code as not allowed.

FWIW, we do go to the Elite Cocktail Hour, and I have worn my nicer sandals with no further trouble. Most of the ladies I see are also wearing similar sandals. I think the rule exists so that the CC Hostess can ban the ones she feels are just too casual, that start veering into pool flip-flop territory.

Thank you so much for your clarification. Just packing for my next cruise and kind of freaking out about what shoes to wear for the elite lounge. I know some people don't care for it that much ... we love it!! And ... we even attend when we have the beverage package.

Do you mind telling me what ship this was on??

I have read and heard all about how we can't wear open toed shoes in the main dining hall. However this was referring to flip flops and other every day sandels. Does this include dress sandals? As in, if I wear a dress, can I wear sandals with it, essentially those with open toes?

I wear nothing but dressy flip flops or dressy sandals. They are perfectly acceptable. As we live in SWFL I don't even OWN a pair of real shoes. I only have flip flops (very cute ones) or sandals.

Thank you so much for your clarification. Just packing for my next cruise and kind of freaking out about what shoes to wear for the elite lounge. I know some people don't care for it that much ... we love it!! And ... we even attend when we have the beverage package.

We were on Silhouette and went o the Sky Lounge every night for drinks even though we had the package. Shoes were not an issue at all, but no shorts at all! last night we were going to go comfy and we could not get in. Had to go back to the cabin and I put on a skort and hubby put on his slacks so we could get into the lounge.

If my partner was thrown out of the Elite Function for wearing dress ladies sandals I would have been straight down to guest relations demanding to see the Hotel Director to complain. In the instance complained of I think the CC over stepped the mark. Once having raised the complaint with guest relations I guarantee it wouldn't happen a second time. I would also have asked for a written comment form and voiced my concern again. Its these comments forms that go towards future contracts.

As much as I hate to admit it dress standards are more relaxed for women than they are for me. It probably isn't right but it is reality .

We were on Silhouette and went o the Sky Lounge every night for drinks even though we had the package. Shoes were not an issue at all, but no shorts at all! last night we were going to go comfy and we could not get in. Had to go back to the cabin and I put on a skort and hubby put on his slacks so we could get into the lounge.

Thanks for that explanation. I will take my sparkle sandals and hope for the best. I get no shorts and no beach wear, just hope they never exclude me from the elite cocktail hour because of my sandals. Heck, we were invited to the captain's table once and those were considered appropriate. I am less worried now ... and especially since I have no plans to sail on the Silly.

I wear nothing but dressy flip flops or dressy sandals. They are perfectly acceptable. As we live in SWFL I don't even OWN a pair of real shoes. I only have flip flops (very cute ones) or sandals.

That is my dream life! :D:hearteyes:

We live in Michigan and I don't wear real shoes until there is snow on the ground.

Just a comment on the no flip flop no sandals rule - we also sail Princess.

In general their formal night attire requirements are stricter than Celebrity's Evening Chic but no mention has EVER been made of what type of shoes are acceptable or not.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that jeans are fine but sandals on your feet are not.

This happened on Solstice. We've met lots of really nice people at the Cocktail Hours on this ship and others.

That is my dream life! :D:hearteyes:

We live in Michigan and I don't wear real shoes until there is snow on the ground.

Just a comment on the no flip flop no sandals rule - we also sail Princess.

In general their formal night attire requirements are stricter than Celebrity's Evening Chic but no mention has EVER been made of what type of shoes are acceptable or not.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that jeans are fine but sandals on your feet are not.

Even with Formals I wear dressing high heeled sandals. We have been on Princess/Celebrity/Royal and in 95 cruises I have never worn a pair of closed toed shoes. I always wear dressy sandals or dressing flip flops.

This happened on Solstice. We've met lots of really nice people at the Cocktail Hours on this ship and others.

Oh no ... that's the ship I will be sailing on in a couple of weeks. Well, I will just put my rain boots on if it becomes an issue.

Oh no ... that's the ship I will be sailing on in a couple of weeks. Well, I will just put my rain boots on if it becomes an issue.

I remember making tissue pom poms for homecoming decorations many years ago. Carry a couple in your purse and stick them between your toes😀 to turn them "dressy".

Heck make them out of bar napkins and make sure the hostess sees you!

There is definitely a different dress code for women than men and my DH thinks it is discriminatory.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Of course there is a different dress code for men and women. It kinda rubs me the wrong way when people use the word discrimination incorrectly. Does your husband think it's discriminatory that men can go top less at the pool and women can't?

I am hoping that someone is familiar with Switch Flops. Are these suitable? They are like a flip flop but the straps switch out to match your outfit. Certainly not on Chic night. Is the Elite Cocktail Hour usually on a formal night?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am hoping that someone is familiar with Switch Flops. Are these suitable? They are like a flip flop but the straps switch out to match your outfit. Certainly not on Chic night. Is the Elite Cocktail Hour usually on a formal night?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elite cocktail hour is every night. And is supposed to follow the same dress code as the MDR. Note there is no longer a formal night. Rubber flip flops, something you'd wear at the pool, are not supposed to be worn at dinner time. Not sure if what you refer to are that casual.

If there are too many elite cruisers, the cocktail hour in a lounge can be replaced with coupons which can be used at several bars. We cruise the Eclipse every Jan. and there are so many repeaters that we always get coupons. Many of those cruisers have drink packages, including us. The choices for the "free" elite drink coupons don't even reach the classic package level. So our coupons sit in our room unused for the two weeks.

For those who are surprised about whether or not you can be refused entrance into the Elite Cocktail social while wearing thong style, leather sandals, let me assure you it happens. My daughter was denied entrance even though she wore those same leather slip ons to the MDR on multiple nights. It depends on the hostess on duty and some are very strict. And they are looking at your feet/shoes, no doubt about it. No amount of coaxing resolved it; she was not allowed in. And by the way, she was wearing a midi-length skirt, too. It all depends on the guard, I mean hostess, stationed at the door.

Reading all these posts, I am glad I am not Elite!! Having the drink package meets my needs and I am willing to bet I will meet more down to earth people in the other venues!

Huh?:eek: Lots of us are down to earth.......:D

Reading all these posts, I am glad I am not Elite!! Having the drink package meets my needs and I am willing to bet I will meet more down to earth people in the other venues!

Interesting comments. Thousands of dollars and thousands of hours spent with Celebrity will in most instances lead to Elite and above status with the cruise line. It has nothing to do with one being down to earth or being of snobbish behaviour as is implied. It is a sign of the cruise company saying thank you for your loyalty.

Unless the person next to you at the bar flaunts their status at you, you will never know who is or is not a particular status. We all started out as Preview just as you did

Interesting comments. Thousands of dollars and thousands of hours spent with Celebrity will in most instances lead to Elite and above status with the cruise line. It has nothing to do with one being down to earth or being of snobbish behaviour as is implied. It is a sign of the cruise company saying thank you for your loyalty.

Unless the person next to you at the bar flaunts their status at you, you will never know who is or is not a particular status. We all started out as Preview just as you did

I made this post after reading on another thread about where to stay in Miami. The woman talked about the fact they would be spending several days at an Indian wedding in Texas before her cruise. She said the host was paying all expenses, and said her husband hat met him when he was an exec. at Subway.

If had nothing to do with the post. Seemed to be she was bragging. This is the kind of person I was referring to. As you say - flaunting their status - !

THIS is why I don't understand if a cruiser is dressed in the same smart causal or "chic" wear that is accepted in the dining room.... why they wouldn't be allowed to enter the "loyalty" get together ??? It makes ZERO sense. Why would you alienate some of your most loyal customers? :mad: All for the wrong style of foot covering?

So if I wore a long sun dress with flat leather sandals I could actually be turned away from meeting other elite/plus cruisers for a cocktail on the way to dinner? What would be the point?

Edited by eandj

THIS is why I don't understand that if a cruiser is dressed in the same smart causal or "chic" wear that is accepted in the dining room.... why they wouldn't be allowed to enter the "loyalty" get together ??? It makes ZERO sense. Why would you alienate some of your most loyal customers? :mad:

Truthfully? There is No good reason at all:eek:.......none, nada, zip, zilch, zero...........whatever language you want to use........

The CC host/hostess used no sense when making the decision............or whoever told them to do it.....the decision maker

had no inkling..........:eek:

I will be wearing 'thong' style sandals to dinner and any events every night. I have to have shoes with a full arch support and my Vinoic flip flops are my most comfortable sandals. I will pack a pool pair and a nicer pair for the evening. Its that or sneakers and a dress ;)

Interesting remark Mixer Dave. I refer to the event as an adult show and tell. On the last cruise went twice for a short stay where we listened to cruisers pontificate about themselves. Enjoyed martini bar much more. In my opinion earlier elite venue was more friendly in the past. Just an opinion

I made this post after reading on another thread about where to stay in Miami. The woman talked about the fact they would be spending several days at an Indian wedding in Texas before her cruise. She said the host was paying all expenses, and said her husband hat met him when he was an exec. at Subway.

If had nothing to do with the post. Seemed to be she was bragging. This is the kind of person I was referring to. As you say - flaunting their status - !

Perhaps the woman you mentioned was offering her explanation of why she didn't know the price of the discussed hotel, since it was being paid by someone else, but wanted to offer a suggestion. Neither of us have a definite reason for her post. However most on here who offer input or answers for others are merely trying to be helpful, not snobbish.