Open toed dress shoes?

mbladen3210

Perhaps the woman you mentioned was offering her explanation of why she didn't know the price of the discussed hotel, since it was being paid by someone else, but wanted to offer a suggestion. Neither of us have a definite reason for her post. However most on here who offer input or answers for others are merely trying to be helpful, not snobbish.

I would accept that IF the cruise was leaving from Texas and not Miami.

Still, no need to paint with such a wide brush. To our knowledge, the only people aboard ship that we feel the need to share our Captains Club status with are the crew members who see it printed on our seapass cards. We feel glad to be fortunate enough to have had the special vacations and don't feel the need to shout it from the rafters for all to hear. We try to be pleasant, and appreciative to crewmembers and friendly to fellow passengers. Cruising frequently certainly doesn't make us feel "better than," it makes us feel fortunate. I suspect we're not alone.:)

As I posted on the earlier thread about being turned away from the cocktail hour for wearing sandals, the only non-sandals I typically bring on a cruise are my sneakers, and if I got turned away for sandals I would certainly wear my sneakers to the cocktail hour every night and would be sure to let anyone looking at me sideways know exactly WHY I was wearing sneakers.

Luckily I mostly sail on transatlantics where there are always lots of frequent cruisers and we all get coupons instead of having the event in the Sky Lounge, so I have not yet run into the Sandal Police.

It's a completely ridiculous policy!

From comments I have seen pertaining to "ladies footwear" the situation complained of in the OP was a one off and not the norm. It is not in the best interests of the CC host to go looking for a fight that at the end of the day is going to fall back on the CC host. Most CC hosts I have come across bend over backwards to make their clients feel as comfortable as possible. Amongst the best I have seen is Rose who continues to sail on the Solstice when not on leave. The Hotel staff on all Celebrity cruises have taken a positive proactive role in making our cruises as pleasant as possible. Where an issue has arisen they have always come up with a solution whilst not always 100% satisfactory is acceptable to move on with and not create a negative picture of the cruise.

From comments I have seen pertaining to "ladies footwear" the situation complained of in the OP was a one off and not the norm. It is not in the best interests of the CC host to go looking for a fight that at the end of the day is going to fall back on the CC host. Most CC hosts I have come across bend over backwards to make their clients feel as comfortable as possible. Amongst the best I have seen is Rose who continues to sail on the Solstice when not on leave. The Hotel staff on all Celebrity cruises have taken a positive proactive role in making our cruises as pleasant as possible. Where an issue has arisen they have always come up with a solution whilst not always 100% satisfactory is acceptable to move on with and not create a negative picture of the cruise.

As I dont wear ladies footwear. I'm not going to touch that subject. We do like Rose very much and are hoping she is back on Solstice May 7 to cruise with us from Hawaii to Vancouver.

I made this post after reading on another thread about where to stay in Miami. The woman talked about the fact they would be spending several days at an Indian wedding in Texas before her cruise. She said the host was paying all expenses, and said her husband hat met him when he was an exec. at Subway.

If had nothing to do with the post. Seemed to be she was bragging. This is the kind of person I was referring to. As you say - flaunting their status - !

If she was indeed bragging about her all-expenses paid trip, I'm guessing she'd be doing that regardless of whether it was her first X cruise or her 50th. In other words, I don't see the correlation between her Texas wedding talk being the result of her X status. ??

The poster provided the dress code for the Elite cocktail party which specifically stated no sandals allowed.

That sure sounds fishy to me. :confused: Obviously sandals of any kind are allowed in the dining room. Never saw anyone wearing rubber flip flops, but certainly pretty flat thong sandals. Slides or heel straps....doesn't matter.

The only way someone would be turned away from and Elite cocktail party ( or MDR) is if they showed up in shorts, tshirt and sandals. And it wouldn't be for the sandals.

The poster provided the dress code for the Elite cocktail party which specifically stated no sandals allowed.

Have worn fancy open toed heeled shoes and sandals- never had a problem. But no big deal to purchase an inexpensive pair of closed flats if you really want to attend this function-

Marshalls and payless have them for under $15. if somebody is really concerned. Truthfully, now with the drink packages, we hardly ever attend as the drinks served are limited.

The bigger issue is that people pack based on what's allowed per the dress code. When you're onboard and get handed a different dress code that's only published on the ship, then it's a little late to make the necessary adjustments. It seems like this particular hostess was just out of line, and I would have pushed the issue up the ladder so that the situation could be corrected.

That said, there are plenty of people on ships who should be wearing shoes that don't expose their crusty toes or cracked heels, whether at the pool or in a dining room.

Good to know. It doesn't affect us, as we have yet to cruise on Celebrity. Elite status will take a long time to reach!

Have worn fancy open toed heeled shoes and sandals- never had a problem. But no big deal to purchase an inexpensive pair of closed flats if you really want to attend this function-

Marshalls and payless have them for under $15. if somebody is really concerned. Truthfully, now with the drink packages, we hardly ever attend as the drinks served are limited.

The bigger issue is that people pack based on what's allowed per the dress code. When you're onboard and get handed a different dress code that's only published on the ship, then it's a little late to make the necessary adjustments. It seems like this particular hostess was just out of line, and I would have pushed the issue up the ladder so that the situation could be corrected.

That said, there are plenty of people on ships who should be wearing shoes that don't expose their crusty toes or cracked heels, whether at the pool or in a dining room.

Maybe but then you should also include those whose clothes fit 30 lbs. ago. :eek:

I'll reiterate - when they changed the dress code to jeans being ok for Evening Chic (the "dressiest" evenings ) , not allowing sandals becomes ridiculous.

Not necessarily true (although I agree with the statement most of the time). It depends on the personnel on that particular ship and how picky they are. My son was once turned away from entering the main floor of the theater on a formal night (when they used to have them) because he had changed back to business casual after dinner. He was allowed on the second floor only because the Captain was going to be on the first floor and this particular Captain was very strict about following policy to the letter. In fact, he went beyond as technically the 'rules' then were that formal was only required in the MDR. So yes, it absolutely can happen. Celebrity (love them though I do) is famous for its consistent inconsistency.

I wished more captains were like this.