Nutritional Information

If you have a smartphone or tablet, you can download a calorie counter app. and get a fairly accurate estimate. Just be true to yourself when you estimate serving sizes (ie. a scramble egg is 91 calories vs. a Biiiigg scoop of scrambled eggs when you are at the buffet, or a 3 ounce burger patty vs that 1/2 pounder!)

If food tastes like there is added sugar or butter or oil, just add 40 more calories.

Above all keep moving!

If you feel sleepy after a pile of pancakes, that's your pancreas releasing insulin into your blood. The insulin lowers your blood sugar to safe levels. But where does the sugar go? Insulin turns the sugar into storable fat and cholesterol that is stowed under your skin, around your heart and liver.

If you keep moving instead of napping when you feel tired, your body starts to burn off those sugars instead. After that, you feel tired AND have achy muscles (the good kind of achy feeling). That's your muscles releasing lactic acid after burning the sugar and breaking down muscle tissue (to make stronger muscle tissue out of the protein you ate). That (lactic and uric acids) waste product is expelled from your body when you go to the bathroom or thru the pores of your skin as sweat.

If your currently counting keep a hand written diary of your intakes and foods. (Id imagine your using Cal Count or Some App.) By the time your cruise comes up you should be able to estimate the size of your portions and the calories per item pretty closely.

I also use "myfitnesspal" app, but that also means you may have to purchase internet on the ship to keep it updated. Or you could go to Amazon and find a calorie counter book to take with you.

If you are drinking, stay away from sugary type drinks. Those really pack on the calories. I also wear a Fitbit and get those 10k or more steps a day.

I appreciate the input. I know a place like the windjammer might be difficult, but I was thinking the dining room puts out the same exact food week after week. Didn't know if perhaps the head waiter could produce a nutritional chart upon request.

I appreciate the input. I know a place like the windjammer might be difficult, but I was thinking the dining room puts out the same exact food week after week. Didn't know if perhaps the head waiter could produce a nutritional chart upon request.

I seriously doubt it. They probably can tell you the contents but you'll need to figure out the nutritional content yourself. Get a small calorie counter that lists the nutritional values of various foods and stick to plain items.

I've been carefully counting my calories. How can I obtain nutritional information for the food served onboard?

Hi, sorry this is not regarding this post, but I saw you posted before about scooters in Bermuda. I am curious, did you ever rent one and if so what was your experience?

Thanks in advance!

There's no harm in asking special needs if there is any information available, I would suspect that there has been some work done on it just for their own purposes, but they probably don't want it out there because it would likely cause problems that will be costly to fix (I imagine the sodium counts are through the roof!).

I was on a strict diet low carb/high protein diet to promulgate ketosis before and after I was on the cruise. On the cruise itself, I ate whatever I like, drank what I like, and for an 8 day cruise I only gained 3lb plus about 10lb water weight (sugars bind a lot more water then ketones). The 10lb dropped in about 3 days and by the end of the week after the cruise, I was back to where I started.

Basically, I am saying that if this is a diet for health, a diet to lose weight... take a week and enjoy yourself. You can always lose the weight afterwards but what is a healthy lifestyle if you are not enjoying the life? :)

I also use "myfitnesspal" app, but that also means you may have to purchase internet on the ship to keep it updated.

But don't use your cell phone at the table during dinner. You might end up being the subject of a thread about rude diners in the MDR.;)