Cheers / Beer

mommag3boys

Thats what tipped our decision to not get it for our upcoming 4 day. We dont like other peoples rules, we like our rules!
Since you like your own rules, then I guess you'll also like paying more since Cheers is a true value on short cruises like the four day you'll be on for people that like to indulge. A beer drinker breaks even at 7-8 per day and if you can't do that for 4 days then you should not even contemplate Cheers. Factoring in shots and all of the non alcoholic inclusives, it's a no brainer for a four day cruise. Carnival will make money on you with your bucket purchases.

Since you like your own rules, then I guess you'll also like paying more since Cheers is a true value on short cruises like the four day you'll be on for people that like to indulge. A beer drinker breaks even at 7-8 per day and if you can't do that for 4 days then you should not even contemplate Cheers. Factoring in shots and all of the non alcoholic inclusives, it's a no brainer for a four day cruise. Carnival will make money on you with your bucket purchases.

Nope, not a good drinker. If we make it through 3 beers a even on a sea day, that would be a lot for us.

When DH and I did the spreadsheet that has been provided graciously on CC by someone much smarter than I, who had the skills to actually create that kick butt spreadsheet, that also had the 2018 prices listed we would make out better if we didnt get the package. - That is if we simulated properly.

Once one gets on a cruise who knows what will happen. We may like those drinks more than we think...lol And there is a high probability this could be the case, as it is a Christmas Cruise!

We will be bringing a bottle of wine, champagne and small oj cartons for morning mimosa so the ocassional specialty coffee or alcoholic frozen drink along with our beers wont send us over the edge even if we do have a bill at the end of the cruise.

We can handle carnival making money on us the 1st time.

If we find its completely different on this carnival cruise than what we thought, we will forgive ourselves for not getting the package and use that information to do something different moving forward.

Now, on to check in for my first cruise coming up....in less than 29 days. No decision needed here for package or no package. The mates Im sailing with on this one dont drink and therefore, I would not even come close to needing the package.

99 days for my carnival cruise!! - Wahoo. I will report back on whether I was wrong or on target for drinking.

• Like 1

Nope, not a good drinker. If we make it through 3 beers a even on a sea day, that would be a lot for us.

When DH and I did the spreadsheet that has been provided graciously on CC by someone much smarter than I, who had the skills to actually create that kick butt spreadsheet, that also had the 2018 prices listed we would make out better if we didnt get the package. - That is if we simulated properly.

Once one gets on a cruise who knows what will happen. We may like those drinks more than we think...lol And there is a high probability this could be the case, as it is a Christmas Cruise!

We will be bringing a bottle of wine, champagne and small oj cartons for morning mimosa so the ocassional specialty coffee or alcoholic frozen drink along with our beers wont send us over the edge even if we do have a bill at the end of the cruise.

If we find its completely different on this carnival cruise than what we thought, we will forgive ourselves for not getting the package and use that information to do something different moving forward.

Now, on to check in for my first cruise coming up....in less than 29 days. No decision needed here for package or no package. The mates Im sailing with on this one dont drink and therefore, I would not even come close to needing the package.

99 days for my carnival cruise!! - Wahoo. I will report back on whether I was wrong or on target for drinking.

If three beers is a lot for you, cheers isn’t even a consideration.

Cheers says that sales are final, non refundable? Does that mean if I buy pre cruise and change my mind, I can’t cancel and get a refund? Or if, for some reason we cancel, no refund?

I’ve never canceled...but I have an option to cancel the one for my upcoming cruise.

05000ca030af6865e1a1b37f596ed25e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers is no value for beer drinkers. In ports, a beer is $2 or so at the local places. On the ship it is more expensive, but unless you drink a whole lot of beer, you'll be better off paying as you go.

Another aspect is: what if you get ill, and don't want to drink anything (norovirus, etc?) then your Cheers money is wasted. If you pay as you go you save.

We did the drink package on a recent sailing on RCL and that’s exactly what happened to me....on day 5, I came down with a bit of a man cold and didn’t feel like ordering booze for a day and a half. Similarly what if you get rough seas one day and are sensitive to it and don’t feel like drinking. If your drinking habits/intentions puts you just on the edge of break even (which we are) it’s better not to bother imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where did you find this spreadsheet at? Can you put a link for me?

My next cruise will be buckets of beer. I will not drink 8 or more per day (especially on the ship). 1-2 at port, then maybe 1-2 later. Bring back whatever I don't drink to my room. Always have a cold beer ready in my room which can be nice not having to run to the bar every time. The bucket of beer discount isn't anything to write home about, but it seems like my best option.

Cheers says that sales are final, non refundable? Does that mean if I buy pre cruise and change my mind, I can’t cancel and get a refund? Or if, for some reason we cancel, no refund?

When they Cheers in non-refundable, I think they mean once you are on-board. You can definitely cancel it and get a refund up until midnight of the night before you sail (or something).

We are beer drinkers and have been getting Cheers on our cruises. I like the fact that it's paid off long before we cruise! We use the AARP gift cards to save 10% too! We did the math and we would just about break even, but cheers (as already stated) gives us a little FUN too.Hubs can get a bloody Mary, or we could indulge in a specialty drink, the coffees are great at the coffee shop! Milk shakes are yummy etc! It's up to you, unless you are a very light beer drinker, and don;t plan to use the extras, I'd say treat yourself!! Have a great trip!! 48 days for us!! WOOOHOOOO!!!

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2017 at 2:25 PM, pmb0602 said:

Two things that haven't been mentioned yet. On our last cruise we definitely got our money's worth on sea days and were pretty darn close if not on point during port days, especially considering specialty coffee's, pop and water bottles! But even if we didn't quite drink enough to break even it was nice to know that we didn't have to worry about how much we drank - we would not have bar bill to pay at the end!! And even though we are both pretty much beer drinkers, not having to worry about wasting money gave us an incentive to try new drinks. If we didn't like them we just ordered something else. I can't remember what it was called but we found some short of chocolate drink that was to die for!!!

That's why we're considering it-try new drinks, get specialty coffees, get the occasional vitamin water.  Not having to worry about all that makes it worth it.  The extra auto gratuity is the thing too.  Even a $6 beer becomes almost $7 and all the mixed drinks I would want will be around $10 so a few drinks and the fact that I guzzle water all day will def make it worth it for us.

With Cheers you can also try new, more expensive varieties. If you like your margarita on the rocks, get it at the Blue Iguana Tequila Bar with Roca Patron  which is 16.50 per drink.  The Atrium Bar and the Alchemy Bar also have Grey Goose VX which is 20.00 in a martini and 17.00 on the rocks.

18 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

We did buckets of Angry Orchard, which I'm pretty sure were the same price as the 4pk in-room package.  There is a $2 discount for the bucket, so around $6 per beer if buying a la carte individually.

This is my favorite way to go. Get a few buckets, keep em in the the fridge. I always have a cold beer ready for me. Maybe grab a bottle for $110. A few cocktails here and there for something different. That puts us at 1/3 the price of cheers, and I don't want anything else, aside from maybe a few at port. Never worried about a huge bar bill. Never worried about forcing down $800+ in alcohol to feel good about... spending $800+ in alcohol.

21 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

This is my favorite way to go. Get a few buckets, keep em in the the fridge. I always have a cold beer ready for me. Maybe grab a bottle for $110. A few cocktails here and there for something different. That puts us at 1/3 the price of cheers, and I don't want anything else, aside from maybe a few at port. Never worried about a huge bar bill. Never worried about forcing down $800+ in alcohol to feel good about... spending $800+ in alcohol.

Yes, if you are a beer drinker only and don't drink water, soda, etc. then you definitely are doing it the best way.  For our first and only cruise, I want to try lots of different things and I need to stay hydrated so water bottles are a must.  Glad you found what works for you!!

We like to stay hydrated too 🙂 We carry 24oz insulated tumblers and refill them throughout the day either at lido or the bars.  We aren't Coke fans so would carry on our soft drinks if we wanted (fine with all the other choices though and doing without pop for a week).

We just can't find value in Cheers for us, but if your situation will - enjoy!

5 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

We like to stay hydrated too 🙂 We carry 24oz insulated tumblers and refill them throughout the day either at lido or the bars.  We aren't Coke fans so would carry on our soft drinks if we wanted (fine with all the other choices though and doing without pop for a week).

We just can't find value in Cheers for us, but if your situation will - enjoy!

Same here. Water is free, and everywhere. Not sure why I would pay for something that is free. My preferred soda is also one that they do not carry on-board, and having a cold can of it does the trick for me

On September 16, 2018 at 9:49 AM, ProgRockCruiser said:

When they Cheers in non-refundable, I think they mean once you are on-board. You can definitely cancel it and get a refund up until midnight of the night before you sail (or something).

Thank you. This is exactly what I have been wondering about. 

On 4/26/2017 at 2:28 PM, mommag3boys said:

My words to my husband exactly! If we don't get it I'll be putting us on a budget and be paying attention to what we drink which will put a damper in the whole trip for me. However, it's not refundable and being that we are a may advantage from it or may not the thought of spending the $575 and consuming way lower drives me bonkers. I work in accounting for a living so I pay attention to where the $$ goes 😜

I guess I should have also mentioned I'm not really concerned about the drinks other than alcoholic drinks. I can live off water and tea. My husband needs soda so instead of purchasing the bubbles package I just had a 12 pack set up for our state room so he'd have a soda or two each day. I've heard it's worth it for the coffee but we're both plain coffee drinkers with a shot of creamer.

When you said you had a 12 pack of soda snt up to your room, this is included in the price of the Cheers package?

On 11/1/2018 at 2:34 PM, Joebucks said:

Same here. Water is free, and everywhere. Not sure why I would pay for something that is free. My preferred soda is also one that they do not carry on-board, and having a cold can of it does the trick for me

There is a big taste difference between tap water and bottle water, in my opinion. We always drink bottle water at home and the same goes for when we are on a ship. That is another reason why we always get the Cheers package. I will usually drink  around 6 Perrier’s a day, while my wife drinks several regular bottles of water. Also, we always drink Pellagrino with dinner. 

3 hours ago, Imyourwildangel said:

When you said you had a 12 pack of soda snt up to your room, this is included in the price of the Cheers package?

I can't answer for her, but wonder if you are aware you are allowed to CARRY ON a 12 pack of CANNED soda or any non alcoholic beverage/pp.  Up to 20 oz. I believe.  And you can bring soda on from any port of call.