Royal Caribbean Breaks Ground for CocoCay Pier

LauraS

I would much rather go to Nassau than be trapped in some private stop.

It's funny how different people feel about ports of call. I would take a private island over Nassau any day. Went to Nassau years ago (say 1985-ish) and it was a complete dump. Hadn't been back until 2016 and it was not one bit better. Actually, it seemed worse to me. But my 2016 cruise was paid for by someone else, so I took a quick little horse tour and got back on the ship.

I am looking forward to all the changes. I have been to Castaway Cay for DCL and it is great.

There are places to go off and sit. This makes a place for families to go. If you don't want to get off, they stay on the ship and the pool should be quiet.

RCI is keeping up with NCL and DCL and I bet all the folks who are concerned might secretly like the place once they land. Far better than some islands with silly shops and crap.

Besides water parks are popular and the wind might be less than what it would be when the ship is moving. Yea

Labadee is not my favorite, but would still pick Labadee over a day in Nassau.

It's indeed a personal way of looking at it...I used to like Labadee when it was a tendered port. Now they commercialized it like they are going to do to Coco Cay.

If I want Disney World...I will go there. Not looking for it at sea.

We always find something interesting to do in Nassau. We tend to think outside the box a lot at various ports. Not into the touristy stuff...it is what you make it. Lots of history and local culture is out there...you just have to find it.

Again...it's all a matter of personal taste and perspective.

Last I heard, they were talking September.

We just got off a B2B and the Captain and other officers were saying by the end of the year for the dock. They appear to be making excellent progress and there continues to be a great deal of construction going on mostly concealed behind tropical theme fencing. Behind what were the newer tender ramps they have already completed quite a few new buildings!

Had a great couple of voyages and we were back in 9576 with a new couch and chair with new carpeting. The rest of MJ looks really good with lots of new carpeting throughout and new glass in windows for the Schooner Bar and Dining Rooms!

I am looking forward to all the changes. I have been to Castaway Cay for DCL and it is great.

There are places to go off and sit. This makes a place for families to go. If you don't want to get off, they stay on the ship and the pool should be quiet.

RCI is keeping up with NCL and DCL and I bet all the folks who are concerned might secretly like the place once they land. Far better than some islands with silly shops and crap.

Besides water parks are popular and the wind might be less than what it would be when the ship is moving. Yea

Wow, great description. I don't hang out near silly shops and crap. The island is home to many people and their culture. I try to experience as much of that as I can no matter where I am travelling to. These private stops are no one's home and they have zero culture.

Wow, great description. I don't hang out near silly shops and crap. The island is home to many people and their culture. I try to experience as much of that as I can no matter where I am travelling to. These private stops are no one's home and they have zero culture.

I am sorry if I upset you. I always do tours of islands when I take cruises. But let's face it so many folks have done lots of ports in the Caribbean and are tired of the same old.

Some folks do not live near water parks and really Universal's new Volcano Bay is very popular. Cruising is becoming more family oriented and with many Generations on board too.

My point is kudos to RCI for providing one more place to those looking for just a day off the ship to have fun and spread out without any breeze and feeling safe too boot.

I get it that each island does need money from tourist and I have done my share. But I also have done Castaway Cay for Disney and it is great. I think many folks in the end will like the new island. Try it ya might like it.:cool:

Just don't let other cruise lines share the same pier...I know of one that likes to do more that break ground... LOL They will tear up that pier. :-)

Haha. Ain’t that the truth

You brought up an interesting point Oceansaway17, somethingthat’s on my heart since taking our So. Carib. cruise last Nov. On several of the islands we visited, itseemed to me that over all, I picked up a very pronounced sense that most ofthe native islanders’ lives were a struggle, something long term, not just a shortterm thing due to recent hurricanes. Upuntil the end of ’17, I ran a food pantry and am tuned in to struggles peoplehave. I had the occasion to discuss thisissue on the dock in Martinique with a man native to Dominica who moved to thestates in the 90’s. He agreed with me inthat many cases people with money who move into that region of the world fromNorth America or Europe fare well as their financial situation isn’t dependenton the islands themselves. According tohim it’s a cultural thing for native islanders to let politicians buy theirvote and upon getting into office, it becomes all about bettering thepoliticians and their families at theexpense of the rest. He said Martiniquewas different as it is a province of France, and the French will come over andpull someone out of office if the person isn’t taking care of thepopulation. What little I saw inBarbados also positively impressed me concerning the welfare of the population. But the other islands…not so much.

As you can tell by my screen name, our daughter lives onGrenada. Her husband is a doctor andteaches at the medical college there. Itis one of several medical schools on islands down there, but strangely, medical care for thelocal populations is severely lacking. In separate conversation, without them knowing about my conversation inMartinique, they echoed the same take as the native Dominican I spoke with; thepolitical climate on the islands repress better medical care; officials just don't care. Earlier this year, Meghan announced she waspregnant, and let it be known to us that under no circumstances do either sheor Krishna want the baby be born down there. Dad to be is presenting an abstract in Washington, D.C. at a medicalconference this June. Afterwards, theywill look for an apartment somewhat close to us, where Meghan will stay until4-6 months after the baby is born so she and the baby can receive propermedical care.

What a pity better economic leverage of thetourists’ dollars can’t be had to better the condition of the native islanders.

^ Exactly this. +1

Several people have reported back a projected finish date in Sept. Several recent photo reviews do so progress. I'll be there around the 3rd week of September and will report back. Here's hoping the early hurricane season is not active.

I am also not much of a fan of Nassau. But after our private Rum tour last year I would go back to Nassau just for the Rum tour and to visit the off the beaten path places we found out about in Nassau. As for Coco Cay, prob won't spend too much time there on our next cruise there as we are not really beach goers. But will do some exploring when we go Nov '19.

I am also not much of a fan of Nassau. But after our private Rum tour last year I would go back to Nassau just for the Rum tour and to visit the off the beaten path places we found out about in Nassau. As for Coco Cay, prob won't spend too much time there on our next cruise there as we are not really beach goers. But will do some exploring when we go Nov '19.

I'm assuming the updated attrachtions/waterpark will be open by then?

I hope everyone is reading the date right.

The completion date for all the rides, slides, shops, cabanas etc is SEPT 2019, not this year.

The new pier will be finished by then, hopefully, but no date has been announced on that, yet.

I hope everyone is reading the date right.

The completion date for all the rides, slides, shops, cabanas etc is SEPT 2019, not this year.

The new pier will be finished by then, hopefully, but no date has been announced on that, yet.

I'm wondering if there will come a point that the Island will be closed whilst the main construction is going on?

We are there late August 2019 and I'm thinking it won't be finished by then so we may not visit it at all if there is a big opening planned which would be disappointing.